Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I wonder if winning the cup would help or hurt our chances.

I think it honestly comes down to what space we would be able to make and obviously what Points contract is. We will make Point's contract priority #1. Then we if we are serious about Karlsson we would probably trade both Gourde and Miller before their NTC kick in. If we clear that, have Point under contract, and have the space available for somebody like Karlsson I think we would make an attempt if he made it to UFA or at least the negotiation window.

There is probably mutual interest but some moving parts need to be done. I mean a core of Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Hedman, McDonagh, and Karlsson is insanity and would make us top heavy but to face those guys majority of time like you would in the playoffs would not be fun for any opposing team. Add in some secondary guys who would still be here. It would be real tempting if I was him. However it comes down to what hes looking for. Im sure he wants to get paid too. If he finds a situation where both arises may rival the chance he would get here. Either way I wouldnt bet on it but its still interesting to think about.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I wonder if winning the cup would help or hurt our chances.

I have to imagine it's going to help. I can't envision someone saying "You won the Cup. No I DON'T want to come play for you and potentially make you better"

But who knows? Odds are definitely slim. It's fun to dream though

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I have to imagine it's going to help. I can't envision someone saying "You won the Cup. No I DON'T want to come play for you and potentially make you better"

But who knows? Odds are definitely slim. It's fun to dream though

I dont think so. Like I said above I think the real seller for him would be being a part of a core that contains Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, McDonagh, Karlsson and Vasi. Its is an amazing selling point even if we dont win the cup. That core would have a few swings at it at the least.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I dont think so. Like I said above I think the real seller for him would be being a part of a core that contains Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Hedman, McDonagh, Karlsson and Vasi. Its is an amazing selling point even if we dont win the cup. That core would have a few swings at it at the least.

The good thing is that except for McDonagh just about everyone's contract ends in his mid 30's. When the inevitable decline of our core happens we will be able to transition to the next generation much smoother than the Hawks have/will and we aren't gonna be praying to Yzerman for Stamkos to just turn 38 so we can end his $8.5 million cap hit already.

Whether EK jumps on board or not we have a championship caliber core no matter what

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The good thing is that except for McDonagh just about everyone's contract ends in his mid 30's. When the inevitable decline of our core happens we will be able to transition to the next generation much smoother than the Hawks have/will and we aren't gonna be praying to Yzerman for Stamkos to just turn 38 so we can end his $8.5 million cap hit already.

Whether EK jumps on board or not we have a championship caliber core no matter what

Yea I think regardless we have EK or not this core will have a few stabs at a cup after this year. People are acting like its win or nothing for the Bolts this year. Couldnt be further from the truth. It only became "must win" for me when SY stepped down. Id like to see him win one here while hes still a part of the franchise.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I said hurt mostly because cup winners end up having to overpay to re-sign their guys. Point would probably end up getting even more if that's possible for instance, particularly if he leads in GWG or some other fluky stat. But by the same token that maybe motivates Karlsson to take less for a real shot at a cup.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I guess I'm just thinking about what happened when we won. Suddenly guys like Stillman and even Cullimore wanted more than they were really worth, and Khabibulin left for a ridiculous number as well.

No your probably right, I've heard it from a lot of people that players get more after the Cup, but it never really made sense to me.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
I don't think JBB is any more reactionary than Yzerman so I don't see a hurry to make any sort of major move at or before the deadline regardless of what other teams do. They'll only strike if they see a good opportunity that works well with the future. I do believe neither JBB or SFY care much for rentals and there's already loads of money needed for Point now and then for Vasy, Serge, etc.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Meh, I mean it is a good trade and a upgrade to what they have however it doesn’t really jump out to me that we would need to go out and make a change.
Yeah I'm mean I'm not saying that we need to, just wondering if there's any thought from the team.

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018

Oh I know, and I'm all in on The Breadman.

I wonder if we could get them to take one of Gourde/Miller and whatever else (a pick, a prospect, whatevs). We shed some salary and open up a wing spot for Panarin for this season, youngsters for next season and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad