Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018
Gourde's only put up 5 goals in his last 33 games. He's still on pace for 50 pts, but not the kind of response you'd hope for after signing his deal. Miller missed some games, but he's not even paced to hit 50 right now.

Highly doubt that kind of production is worth Cbus taking on over $10M in cap next season and for the next several years
I think we could get them to take one of them (Torts would love Gourde), and then a pick or prospect, but I don't know what the market will be for him. Could see NYI or CHI offer a better package with the hopes of resigning him, while I'm advocating a strict rental-only policy.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I think we could get them to take one of them (Torts would love Gourde), and then a pick or prospect, but I don't know what the market will be for him. Could see NYI or CHI offer a better package with the hopes of resigning him, while I'm advocating a strict rental-only policy.
Yeah I think they can be moved individually. It'd be really nice if we could get a good ole pump and dump with Miller right now.

Cbus is in such a hard position. He's not going to sign, but you're still in the thick. Do you move him knowing you're not getting a great return for what can only be considered a pure rental by teams right now or do you keep him and lose him for nothing? Same with Bob.

Tough decisions.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
True, and good points. Part of my comment was my own musing about the uncertainty regarding the scouting we and LAK we're doing on each other back in December (like I said, never bought the idea we were after defense). I tend to believe we could get away with one slower guy on a line (Killer!) but you're absolutely right that Thompson doesn't fit the "Lightning mold" JBB outlined a few weeks back.
I mean - we were scouting them heavily before we were certain Cernak would stick. A lot of young Dmen come up, look great, and then fall off of a cliff. I think we're happy with where our D is now organizationally - we don't really have that Sustr-level player that you're just praying doesn't have to play in the playoffs right now. We have 4 LHD and 3RHD, and all can be slotted pretty much correctly (obviously our RHD are a bit shallower but the strength on the left makes up for that). But without Cernak we had 5 LHD and 2 RHD, with each of the top 6 slotted fairly well (maybe one spot too high in an ideal world for a guy like Girardi), but we were going to be in trouble if Koekkoek had to play any significant minutes. Bringing in an insurance Dman like Martinez who would give us much better depth likely was the inspiration behind the scouting.

On the other hand, while we're deep at forward, for the potential fourth line our depth is on the wings. I don't know who we'd look to bring in for that. A guy like Boyle would be a little slow for our build, but other than that he'd be perfect. Glendening I think only plays well against us. Frankly I don't know enough about 4Cs around the league to say "this is the guy we want!", but I think ideally it'd be someone in the Paquette mold, who has decent wheels, some size, and a lot of pent up aggression. But I don't think they'd be able to bring the surprise offense that Paquette can at times.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Gourde's only put up 5 goals in his last 33 games. He's still on pace for 50 pts, but not the kind of response you'd hope for after signing his deal. Miller missed some games, but he's not even paced to hit 50 right now.

Highly doubt that kind of production is worth Cbus taking on over $10M in cap next season and for the next several years

I see your point. Maybe if we added a decent prospect? Even though they arent exactly lighting it up for us, they really havent had to. Maybe with more permanent top 6 roles they would be better in Cbs?

Reactions: Post Karl Malone

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018
I mean - we were scouting them heavily before we were certain Cernak would stick. A lot of young Dmen come up, look great, and then fall off of a cliff. I think we're happy with where our D is now organizationally - we don't really have that Sustr-level player that you're just praying doesn't have to play in the playoffs right now. We have 4 LHD and 3RHD, and all can be slotted pretty much correctly (obviously our RHD are a bit shallower but the strength on the left makes up for that). But without Cernak we had 5 LHD and 2 RHD, with each of the top 6 slotted fairly well (maybe one spot too high in an ideal world for a guy like Girardi), but we were going to be in trouble if Koekkoek had to play any significant minutes. Bringing in an insurance Dman like Martinez who would give us much better depth likely was the inspiration behind the scouting.

On the other hand, while we're deep at forward, for the potential fourth line our depth is on the wings. I don't know who we'd look to bring in for that. A guy like Boyle would be a little slow for our build, but other than that he'd be perfect. Glendening I think only plays well against us. Frankly I don't know enough about 4Cs around the league to say "this is the guy we want!", but I think ideally it'd be someone in the Paquette mold, who has decent wheels, some size, and a lot of pent up aggression. But I don't think they'd be able to bring the surprise offense that Paquette can at times.
Point well taken regarding the timing of Cernak and his development, but I never believed we'd be willing to give up what LAK would want for AMart or Muzzin. Or maybe more correctly put, I never thought we should give up what they were rumored to be asking for, and I hoped JBB shared my opinion. Hell the Muzzin-to-TOR trade makes me more convinced we weren't ever going to meet their demands

I haven't watched as much of the rest of the league as I normally do, so I'm in the same boat with respect to opinions on possible 4c targets. Glendening gets mentioned every year. I see Brad Richardson's name tossed around on the trade board from time to time but don't know anything about him.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I see your point. Maybe if we added a decent prospect? Even though they arent exactly lighting it up for us, they really havent had to. Maybe with more permanent top 6 roles they would be better in Cbs?
Yeah, for sure. I think they'd both do better with a more prominent offensive role.

I think we're in a weird spot as well. I definitely think there's room to upgrade this team, but I also think we're favorites anyway. Adding a decent prospect to the deal on top of moving out two top 6 wingers for a rental is tricky business. That's a pretty heavy price and one I'd probably be quicker to pay if our window was a bit closer to closing.

I'd look at dealing Gourde or Miller with a pick and prospect for Panarin and then try to deal the other for futures (in the offseason).

Gourde would be a big pickup for a cap strapped contender this season, IMO. He's shown he can contribute and he's basically free this season. Could be a home run swing for future seasons for just a couple of picks.

Panarin makes this team stupid.

Palat-Stamkos-Johnson
Panarin-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph
Erne-Paquette-Callahan
Gourde/Miller to slot in somewhere if you only move one.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Yeah, for sure. I think they'd both do better with a more prominent offensive role.

I think we're in a weird spot as well. I definitely think there's room to upgrade this team, but I also think we're favorites anyway. Adding a decent prospect to the deal on top of moving out two top 6 wingers for a rental is tricky business. That's a pretty heavy price and one I'd probably be quicker to pay if our window was a bit closer to closing.

I'd look at dealing Gourde or Miller with a pick and prospect for Panarin and then try to deal the other for futures (in the offseason).

Gourde would be a big pickup for a cap strapped contender this season, IMO. He's shown he can contribute and he's basically free this season. Could be a home run swing for future seasons for just a couple of picks.

Panarin makes this team stupid.

Palat-Stamkos-Johnson
Panarin-Point-Kucherov
Killorn-Cirelli-Joseph
Erne-Paquette-Callahan
Gourde/Miller to slot in somewhere if you only move one.
If the dream happens I think Palat plays with Cirelli and Panerin with Stammer. Johnson amd Stammer have never really worked togethe. Maybe Joseph on the right side?

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If the dream happens I think Palat plays with Cirelli and Panerin with Stammer. Johnson amd Stammer have never really worked togethe. Maybe Joseph on the right side?

I think it's pretty obvious we'd stick Panarin with Kucherov where the two of them have been world beats at the international stage. Stick Stammer between them and reunite the Johnson-Point-Palat line

Lolaimbot

Nov 20, 2016
Panarin - Point - Kucherov
That line would give so many hockeyorgasms a game that I would end up f***ing catatonic.

Reactions: J T Money

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Best thing CBJ can do is hang onto their players and go for broke. You can let them go for scraps and suck ass, you can let them go for nothing and suck ass. You are cornered both ways but only one allows you to truly control your destiny. The only thing that'll prevent the latter is a Metro Playoff tour that involves crushing any two of the Caps, Isles and Penguins until they are hopefully vanquished by the mighty Lightning. Submit an actually respectable offer to Bob and Panarin and say it's waiting for the players and play hockey. I don't think both guys are gonna say "f*** this I'm out I want to play for a REAL team" if they got as far as the ECF and had $70 million waiting for them.

And if they did that is NOT on Jarmo. It would just prove both guys are foolish and they can have fun never winning a Cup in Chicago or NY or whatever the hell they think is better.

If it did happen that way there shouldn't be a fan on Earth mad at anyone but the players themselves when the rest of the CBJ backed them up to a deep playoff run

Last edited:

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018
Best thing CBJ can do is hang onto their players and go for broke. You can let them go for scraps and suck ass, you can let them go for nothing and suck ass. You are cornered both ways but only one allows you to truly control your destiny. The only thing that'll prevent the latter is a Metro Playoff tour that involves crushing any two of the Caps, Isles and Penguins until they are hopefully vanquished by the mighty Lightning.
I disagree slightly. I think back to 2016 and the Stammer drama, and how since the team was a real contender most fans seemed cool with the idea of keeping Stammer and rolling the dice with him in June/July. If we weren't contenders, how many of us would have been begging for a boatload of a haul that spring?

Columbus? The Jackets are good, but I'd have a hard time classifying them as a contender. Winning 1 round seems to be their ceiling, and maybe that's enough for a franchise that's starved of playoff success, but it wouldn't be enough for me. Couple that with the attitude and circumstances surrounding the two players - Bob being a mental patient and Panarin (basically) rejecting the city - and I think the fans would be OK with trades even if the return was $0.70 on the $1.00. I say this without spending any time on their boards (yet) but its at least how I would feel (I think) if I were a Jackets fan.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I disagree slightly. I think back to 2016 and the Stammer drama, and how since the team was a real contender most fans seemed cool with the idea of keeping Stammer and rolling the dice with him in June/July. If we weren't contenders, how many of us would have been begging for a boatload of a haul that spring?

Columbus? The Jackets are good, but I'd have a hard time classifying them as a contender. Winning 1 round seems to be their ceiling, and maybe that's enough for a franchise that's starved of playoff success, but it wouldn't be enough for me. Couple that with the attitude and circumstances surrounding the two players - Bob being a mental patient and Panarin (basically) rejecting the city - and I think the fans would be OK with trades even if the return was $0.70 on the $1.00. I say this without spending any time on their boards (yet) but its at least how I would feel (I think) if I were a Jackets fan.

I can only speak as a Lightning fan and that I was perfectly ready for Stamkos to leave even without compensation. His on ice play was a cure for wellness that made Bob look like perfect health. None of us was willing to see him be paid a penny above $8.5 million and it's only been this year we have seen the Stamkos of old. I don't know what we would have done with the scraps we got in return anyway.

The CBJ can bide for time and rebuild if they have to. I think it is worth going for broke instead of salvaging 70 cents on the dollar. It sends a better message to the locker room. If they go deep there is a good chance that Bob and Panarin stay

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018
I can only speak as a Lightning fan and that I was perfectly ready for Stamkos to leave even without compensation. His on ice play was a cure for wellness that made Bob look like perfect health. None of us was willing to see him be paid a penny above $8.5 million and it's only been this year we have seen the Stamkos of old. I don't know what we would have done with the scraps we got in return anyway.

The CBJ can bide for time and rebuild if they have to. I think it is worth going for broke instead of salvaging 70 cents on the dollar. It sends a better message to the locker room. If they go deep there is a good chance that Bob and Panarin stay
You may have been ready to see Stammer go for on-ice reasons, but if we weren't a competitor wouldn't you have expected SY to go out and get something for him? I just think that the relative strength of the team has a lot do with it, and as I look at CBJ I don't see a team nearly as strong as we were in 2016. Plus, from the outside looking in, it seems like both Bob and Panarin are both out the door no matter what, but that's just my take.

I also readily admit my thinking on this is clouded by my hockey boner for Panarin and the thought of him in our lineup...

Zeus Bojangles

Literally Illiterate
Feb 23, 2018

Hi guys!
Tonight, on, NBCSN, Mr. McKenzie will answer to some of our questions...
Of course, living in Italy, I cannot see the show, but, tell me if he'll answer to my tweet :) :)

Completely off-topic, but I can't help but notice you live in Torino. The most beautiful woman I've ever dated was from there. You lucky SOB...

Reactions: Fabiobest

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Friedman says we're still looking at right shot D.

Pbvsyxu.png

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Friedman says we're still looking at right shot D.

Pbvsyxu.png

If it's true, we must not be happy with Girardi. I see no way we're looking for an upgrade on Stralman, unless maybe we want to slot him down again, like last time he wasn't playing particularly well after an injury. I kind of want to see what Stralman looks like after all this rest.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Pietrangelo is the only rhd I could see us trying to get. We don't really need any 2nd or 3rd pairing guys at this point because we have plenty of them already. However with Stralman falling off quite a bit we don't really have a rhd good enough to play on the top pairing.

No idea what it would take to get him but

Hedman-Pietrangelo
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Stralman

would pretty much be perfect.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Pietrangelo is the only rhd I could see us trying to get. We don't really need any 2nd or 3rd pairing guys at this point because we have plenty of them already. However with Stralman falling off quite a bit we don't really have a rhd good enough to play on the top pairing.

No idea what it would take to get him but

Hedman-Pietrangelo
Mcdonagh-Cernak
Sergachev-Stralman

would pretty much be perfect.

Sort of makes sense, the Bolts don't often go for rentals. At 6.5 for next season though, would be an interesting offseason.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Highly doubt we trade for a RHD before the deadline. I could definitely see a play after the season though...a Karlsson type RHD :sarcasm:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Price is everything for us with Panarin. I mean, if we can structure a deal around Miller, or even Gourde, I think we could work something out. If CBJ is looking for a huge futures package, I think we should let them go find it elsewhere. Even in AP, we're not looking to fill a massive hole here--we're looking for a luxury. So I don't think we can go mortgaging a big chunk of the future for that. We're likely to lose Miller either way next season, so I'm still onboard with Sky's idea of using him for a rental, if the rental is good enough. I'd even be open to moving Gourde, but, IMO, he has a lot more value.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Sort of makes sense, the Bolts don't often go for rentals. At 6.5 for next season though, would be an interesting offseason.

I wonder if there's any way to make it work next year. Might cost us Gourde on top of everything else, but maybe that's worth it, really. Gives us unquestionably the best top-4 in the league, even if Cernak's the #4. Only gets better as Sergachev improves enough to take that spot, if he hasn't already.

Reactions: Rschmitz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad