Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly I don’t see any need to add anything. All motors are humming.
This. We have 13 good, NHL-quality forwards properly slotted (if not slotted below), and 7 good, NHL-quality D properly slotted. We have a stud #1 and a #2 goaltender.

Unless we get an injury, I see no reason to make any changes.

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
And it's not like we need forward depth, we're fine there even with an injury or two. Perhaps one more depth d-man if anything.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Personally, I would still like to add a big bottom 6 power forward to give this team some size.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
If we are being unrealistic and ignoring the cap, a top pairing RHD would probably be our biggest area of improvement.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
If we are being unrealistic and ignoring the cap, a top pairing RHD would probably be our biggest area of improvement.
I mean - yeah I'm factoring in the cap here. If we could add Pietrangelo I'd be all for it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't necessarily care if we add anyone. Leave it alone? I don't care. If it takes a grinder? Don't care. Want Karlsson or Panarin as a rental? I don't care.

The only thing I care about is that in 6 months I want to be wearing the shirts, hats and framing the newspaper that says "Stanley Cup champions" I know it's not going to be easy but we have a team that can get it done

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Anything that would be considered “an upgrade” to what we currently have would probably cost too much to get anyways.

Team is fine the way it is now. No point trading away guys that will fill roles in the immediate future, while taking on a contract that might close our window sooner than necessary by trading one or more of those guys.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Anything that would be considered “an upgrade” to what we currently have would probably cost too much to get anyways.

Team is fine the way it is now. No point trading away guys that will fill roles in the immediate future, while taking on a contract that might close our window sooner than necessary by trading one or more of those guys.
Plus risking to mess with chemistry. All lines and pairings are clicking right now.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
^ agreed to all this. Normally I favor an aggressive approach. So long as you're not cutting off your hand then do it. The trade for McDonagh is a prime example.

Right now it doesn't look like we need to change anything on the Lightning but I will add that trading for futures should not be excluded from the plan either for JBB.

No one knows what can or will happen with injuries. So if there's a team who is willing to part with someone who can both play for the Crunch right away and help them win a championship too then go for it. It's a double whammy of depth in case the Wicked Witch decides to come hunting our guys and a guy like Andreoff gets the call

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Rentals just never work out and we can't afford to take on salary past this year. We have guys who deserve playing time who can't even get into the lineup right now. I don't see how we can add anything significant without paying too big a price.

I mean, we add a 4th liner, and, what? Callahan sits out? I just don't see much point in that. Erne is playing well and could use some playoff seasoning for the future. Paquette's having the best year of his career. On D we're sitting Cernak and Sergachev, both of whom deserve to play, and who need experience. I just think any move we can make is so marginal, and risk-heavy (because, yeah, rental D never really work out) that it might just be a lateral move anyway.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we get a injury at the goalie spot again then i could see us making a move at the deadline for a goalie. I don't see a pressing need right now but if we get injuries that could all change.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
We already have some solid players who have to sit because of our depth. We have four lines that actually can score and mostly solid to outstanding pairings. Unless major injuries happen, just leave the roster as it is. Don't usually care much for rentals, especially defensemen who take longer to 'fit' into the team's structure.

Reactions: Rschmitz

LordZapp

Jan 31, 2015
Texas
I'd love to see us go after puljujarvi. He can probably be had for scraps. Would be a good bottom 6 forward with some real upside.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I mulled it over and there is a move we can make. If Koekkoek wants out we oblige him for picks and futures. But if he's happy then leave him here. We are otherwise about as "all systems go" as we can get.

Why do that now instead of later? I guess if the alternative is losing somebody to waivers.

I think we might have to hang on to Koekkoek until our picture for next year becomes clearer. Koekkoek remains > Masin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad