Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Ah so we stop scoring 4 goals-a-game for a few games and now it's time to panic eh.
The top 6 have been carrying the scoring load for probably 10-15 games now. Even on nights the Lightning lit it up.

More importantly I don’t see the bottom six carrying play as much lately.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
That would be a terrible trade. Not saying Muzzin isn't a bad player but he's strictly a left sided left hand defender. We have Hedman and McDonagh for that who are better so he would be a 3rd pairing guy that cost a 1st +. You could say he would be our Coburn replacement the next few years if we resign him at a good price but I don't think we need to move a 1st for that. We needed to when we got Coburn because he was a 2nd pair guy early on. We look set in the top 4 if Cooper keeps putting Hedman and Sergachev together since McDonagh and Cernak are typically a pair. We can get bottom pair guys via free agency or lesser trades. We still got Masin and Foote prospect wise.

We need to focus on reshaping the forwards after this year. We really don't need Palat, Miller, Gourde and Killorn all making over 4 to be complementary wingers. We can do with two of them and then leave the other spots for younger and cheaper talent like Joseph or Erne. Ideally we move Killorn since he the easiest to replace then Palat since he's the next oldest, makes the most and is the most injury prone. Move those two, plus our 1st and we could get some cheaper top 9 wingers or replenish the pipe with prospects and picks.

i thought you were a colorado fan? anyway this IS EXACTLY THE TYPE OF MOVE YOU DO TO TRY TO INSURE CUPS AS MUCH AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN OR PLAN FOR NEXT YEAR ....

next this has ZERO bearing on stralman hes a righty it would have bearing on sergachev but he can play the right side and honestly does anyone think muzzin aint a HUGE upgrade for coby girardi if we switch serge to the right??

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
i thought you were a colorado fan? anyway this IS EXACTLY THE TYPE OF MOVE YOU DO TO TRY TO INSURE CUPS AS MUCH AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN OR PLAN FOR NEXT YEAR ....

next this has ZERO bearing on stralman hes a righty it would have bearing on sergachev but he can play the right side and honestly does anyone think muzzin aint a HUGE upgrade for coby girardi if we switch serge to the right??

In the past 10 seasons there have been 29 1st round picks traded around the deadline and only one time did the player received help a team win the Cup. That was Jeff Carter to LA in 2012. He was a 1C who was played as a 2C behind Kopitar so a high impact player. Muzzin is good but would be a 3rd pair defender, I don't think he'll have the impact needed to be worth trading a 1st for.

If we did acquire Muzzin then I can't see us bringing Stralman back next year as we don't have the cap for both. We need a RD next year more than a 3rd pair LD also so would prefer Stralman even if he cost 5mil to Muzzin at 4. So yes this has a bearing on Stralman. Because this then becomes a 1st + prospect + Stralman for Muzzin.

Reactions: Unfinished Business

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
In the past 10 seasons there have been 29 1st round picks traded around the deadline and only one time did the player received help a team win the Cup. That was Jeff Carter to LA in 2012. He was a 1C who was played as a 2C behind Kopitar so a high impact player. Muzzin is good but would be a 3rd pair defender, I don't think he'll have the impact needed to be worth trading a 1st for.

If we did acquire Muzzin then I can't see us bringing Stralman back next year as we don't have the cap for both. We need a RD next year more than a 3rd pair LD also so would prefer Stralman even if he cost 5mil to Muzzin at 4. So yes this has a bearing on Stralman. Because this then becomes a 1st + prospect + Stralman for Muzzin.
i have zero interest in muzzin for a 1st even if deals aint right walk away of course simmonds same thing

im not giving firsts for rental.... muzzin would only take if was sure serge could work out on right side if not no deal.... they know more then me.... id kick the tires though if deals right logistics right do it if not move on... just want the cup 8 years is enough..... so yes id be actively looking for improvements

someone brought up minn 2017 they had a better record then us at this point they made one move basically won 10 more games all year and lost in 5 in first round in playoffs..... I seriously see us as doing this year over year so dont see that being possible but still am interested in whatever we can do if we believed would help us get over the top.... i had no interest in karlsson if we moved either serge or point.... still feel same on everyone is guys im ok we move from but im not gonna do huge changes whatsoever at this time chemistry of course matters.

i have NEVER said a deal is ok for a first round pick even the mcd miller stuff I dont like losing 1sts period

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Foolish to touch this roster
i was in business and the rule if your not improving your failing is what i kinda lived by.... this goes def for sports.... when you reach a plateau and others can pass that point its simple business...

i will not trade first rounders but a simmonds a muzzin etc.. hes having his best season and hits a TON gonna go over 200 for first time in career this year is right age etc.. you got to look.

yet im not going for no one unless is a masterpiece chess move....
i have never went deeply into the mcd miller thing never looked at it much cause i love MCD always have.... so i was like we getting a true number one enough said.... but my business sense says what did we give up a first? i probably wouldnt have had the balls to do the trade lol

hats off to this team cause they do have the balls to make the hard decisions and im glad I dont have to and can just watch and enjoy lol

and get chemistry all of it...

watched detroit over and over not get past edmonton then have one of best seasons ever and not get to cup etc.. it wears on you...

i dont want to become a san jose say I want the cup its overdue :) so ill look at everything i will not give a first for a rental unless was like gaudreau or something crazy lmfao so im gonna look I think you can always improve

do i see upgrades available not a lot

gourde is below his shooting percentage a lot and so is miller so yep they can chip more but cally girardi coburn? if we move on from any of them im ok with it....

i love our guys love our team but also will move on if something is worthy .... i still watch our guys that aint here at times :)

but as I have said im a bolt is not a player is the jersey

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
another name that is interesting not sure this is proper place or not but college kid taro hirose is leading college in assists and points for michigan state.... 5'10 160 kid who is out of calgary might be someone to watch undrafted obviously a playmaker over scorer but never have too many point producers and might be a good kid to give a shot :) he played in bchl first and put up some solid numbers hes pretty much matched last seasons numbers already for state ....

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Trying to improve this roster in the middle of the kind of season they are having is like throwing away pocket aces because you want a royal flush. Don't throw away a winning hand, wait until the off season to reshuffle the deck.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Then there's the whole acquiring a defenseman midseason usually underperforming dynamic.

And right now, assuming Coop gets real and sits Girardi in the playoffs, that puts Serg as the odd man out if we acquire a D. I'd rather give him the experience. And if it's Coburn as the odd man, I just don't want to pay the type of price it would take to improve on our 3rd pairing LD, especially when it's pretty safe to assume we're going to bump Hedman and McDonagh up to 25 minutes.

The only guy I can really see a case for is Panarin, and that's only if our side of the deal is based around Miller (the Sky proposal) so we wind up with a clear upgrade, and sacrifice the asset we'd recoup on Miller. IMO it'd be worth it to go into the playoffs with Panarin either playing with Stamkos, or having three lines with at least one elite player on them. To me that'd be worth giving up on the 1st we might get for Miller in the off-season.

Reactions: Hoek

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And right now, assuming Coop gets real and sits Girardi in the playoffs, that puts Serg as the odd man out if we acquire a D. I'd rather give him the experience. And if it's Coburn as the odd man, I just don't want to pay the type of price it would take to improve on our 3rd pairing LD, especially when it's pretty safe to assume we're going to bump Hedman and McDonagh up to 25 minutes.

The only guy I can really see a case for is Panarin, and that's only if our side of the deal is based around Miller (the Sky proposal) so we wind up with a clear upgrade, and sacrifice the asset we'd recoup on Miller. IMO it'd be worth it to go into the playoffs with Panarin either playing with Stamkos, or having three lines with at least one elite player on them. To me that'd be worth giving up on the 1st we might get for Miller in the off-season.

My only concern with Panarin is that we got Stamkos thinking "shoot" first again. If you put Panarin on his line, is Stamkos going to start outsmarting himself trying master "The Art Of Russian Rocket Science Playmaking" like he did with Kucherov? And how will Kucherov be affected? You know he's gonna want his Bro Time.

Being separated from Kucherov was the best thing that could ever have happened. Now all Stamkos concerns himself with is "Just shoot it eh?" And because of that I don't know if Panarin is a good idea anymore.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My only concern with Panarin is that we got Stamkos thinking "shoot" first again. If you put Panarin on his line, is Stamkos going to start outsmarting himself trying master "The Art Of Russian Rocket Science Playmaking" like he did with Kucherov? And how will Kucherov be affected? You know he's gonna want his Bro Time.

Being separated from Kucherov was the best thing that could ever have happened. Now all Stamkos concerns himself with is "Just shoot it eh?" And because of that I don't know if Panarin is a good idea anymore.

I see Panarin as more of a playmaker. And I mean, Option B is to have three lines with a ppg player on them.

He's the only guy available who looks like a clear and definite upgrade on what we have now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I see Panarin as more of a playmaker. And I mean, Option B is to have three lines with a ppg player on them.

He's the only guy available who looks like a clear and definite upgrade on what we have now.

Lol it only took Panarin (who may not even be available) to be an upgrade

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
At this moment of time we should be doing nothing, Cernak has been a solid addition to this team and has worked extremely well with the amount of pressure which he has faced. As for the forwards why change or add something which is not broken. Last season team feels like a completely different team to this season. Only thing I can see is if we make a move it is because the people around us have done so.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Anyone else think seeing what top 6, goal scoring rentals might be available is a good idea?

I understand we score a lot of goals, however, what happens if our depth goes dry? I can see a playoff team concentrating all their effort in shutting down Point/Kuch. That leaves Stamkos and depth players (Gourde, Killorn, Palat, Cirellli, Miller, Joseph, etc).

I think it might be worth a look just to see if another guy you can lean on to put the puck in the net is available that can rotate with Stamkos, Kuch and Point if necessary.

I know our depth is producing now, but we've seen it go dry before.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Plus we have enough talent in the AHL if needed.
Last year we all knew we needed a top four defenseman badly and we got mcdonagh there was a need to make a deal last year! This year there is not a need to ship picks or prospects out for the short term. It’s not worth it to lose more prospects or picks as we got some big decisions to make with our salary cap this summer! This is the team for sure we need to ride out this year into April.

Reactions: Hit The Lights

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Panarin really interests me. What would it take?

Simmonds also interests me. Brings a unique skill set we don’t really have. I’m torn, but leaning towards Robs thinking. Everyone else will improve, and we would stay the same if we didn’t make a move. Panarin is obviously a luxury. Simmonds less so, but still a tad luxurious.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Panarin is a worthwhile addition, Simmonds not so much.

Both would purely be rentals, which has never happened in the Yzerman era, so I have my doubts.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
From what I've been hearing Yzerman is still very much involved with the management, so I've gotta think he'll have some influence with this decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad