Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Why do that now instead of later? I guess if the alternative is losing somebody to waivers.

I think we might have to hang on to Koekkoek until our picture for next year becomes clearer. Koekkoek remains > Masin.
Well even that was spitballing on my end. I think if Koekkoek wanted out he would have said so. As far as I know he has never once complained about how he's been handled. And even then the trade would have been for AHL pieces to help make a Calder Cup push. It would be nice if our current Syracuse prospects had the same winning pedigree as our group in Norfolk.

But to your point waiting may be what the Lightning are doing. Cernak outright cut Masin in line

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I wouldn't be shocked to see Koekkoek and/or Coburn moved out at the deadline which both frees up contracts and money in the future, though Coburn is UFA. Anyhow, I think that they might target a middle six type forward or a second/third pairing guy. Guessing things will really have to fall into place to make it happen so my hopes aren't high for it, but you just know that one of Callahan, Paquette, Palat, or Johnson will likely go down another time or two this season and will need adequate replacements. I just can't sort out who I would want to target after looking at the list.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wouldn't be shocked to see Koekkoek and/or Coburn moved out at the deadline which both frees up contracts and money in the future, though Coburn is UFA. Anyhow, I think that they might target a middle six type forward or a second/third pairing guy. Guessing things will really have to fall into place to make it happen so my hopes aren't high for it, but you just know that one of Callahan, Paquette, Palat, or Johnson will likely go down another time or two this season and will need adequate replacements. I just can't sort out who I would want to target after looking at the list.

Yeah, and it's hard to pay a real price for a guy who's gonna be more/less injury insurance.

If we start getting Koekkoek into games, it'll make me wonder if we're gonna try to make a move. Hard to see us moving Coburn at the TDL with the way he's played this year, and with Koekkoek coming in cold behind him. I wouldn't see the point in moving Coburn out and then a rental D in, unless the rental D was really good. But then rental Ds usually take a while to figure out the new system and I can't think of the last one who made a big difference in the playoffs.

Every time I work through the scenarios, every realistic move feels lateral at best. Maybe a middle-six winger? But even with that, it means we're scratching one of Joseph, Erne, or Callahan. And I don't see us scratching Callahan without an injury.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's no point moving Coburn at the deadline, you really want to decrease our chance at the cup for an unknown? Coburn is playing above his worth right now and is already in sync with the system. We won't be targeting anything at the deadline unless it's a high impact player, I can only see them stacking our deck even more cause there aren't exactly any holes to patch.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
The only moves that makes sense to me at this point is moving Callahan and Koekkoek. Would love to package them up and send them off to LA, Anaheim, or some place out west where the chances of it coming back to bite us directly are minimized. Would get KK out of the D-Man dungeon and would get Cally's contract off of our books.

Other than that, I'm good with what we have. If we do nothing, I am good with that too.

Reactions: Pulpfishin

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
There's no point moving Coburn at the deadline, you really want to decrease our chance at the cup for an unknown? Coburn is playing above his worth right now and is already in sync with the system. We won't be targeting anything at the deadline unless it's a high impact player, I can only see them stacking our deck even more cause there aren't exactly any holes to patch.
There is a point, and its getting value for an asset that will walk at the end of the year. They were trying to move him in camp and I wouldn't be shocked if they're trying to move him now. He is playing above what he has the last two seasons, never a bad thing to capitalize on that with a guy that you're likely sitting on rotation every few games with everyone healthy.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
There is a point, and its getting value for an asset that will walk at the end of the year. They were trying to move him in camp and I wouldn't be shocked if they're trying to move him now. He is playing above what he has the last two seasons, never a bad thing to capitalize on that with a guy that you're likely sitting on rotation every few games with everyone healthy.
The value we'd get back wouldn't be worth trading him. Coburn has always been a good playoff performer for us and he's worth more to us than the picks we'd get for him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I wouldn't lower our chances to win the Cup by even .00001% right now. Especially when you consider our organizational depth, letting guys like Coburn walk is inconsequential.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

And that's worth decreasing your chance at a cup for? You just listed defensive mobility as a "weakness" and Coburn is one of the better skaters on the backend.... That's like saying we should trade Stralman too because he's an upcoming UFA.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
And that's worth decreasing your chance at a cup for? You just listed defensive mobility as a "weakness" and Coburn is one of the better skaters on the backend.... That's like saying we should trade Stralman too because he's an upcoming UFA.
Coburn and "better skater" don't much go together. He can still move, hes more mobile than Girardi, but that isn't a high bar. I also think that moving him compared to anyone else makes more sense because of potential pairings.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Yeah, but that also weakens us for the current run. I think that value has to be weighed in, and it's probably worth more than anything we could get for him. We have a chance to go into the playoffs with three strong pairs.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

I’d be pretty surprised actually. Coburn is playing the best hockey he’s played in recent years and Koekkoek’s trade value is low enough that we might as well keep him for cheap depth next season. Not saying it won’t happen but unless we’re acquiring an upgrade at 3LD with a year of term remaining I’m not sure why we’d make a trade like that.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

Don’t get so focused on asset management that you forget the purpose of it all. We’re looking to win the Stanley Cup this season and Coburn is playing well for us, plays an important role providing some veteran stability opposite Sergachev, and gives us a guy who can play either side in the event of injury. And given the likelihood of at least one defenseman going down at some point during the playoffs along with Cooper’s historical reluctance to play Koekkoek I don’t see us weakening our blue line just to gain a mediocre pick and prospect.

Reactions: Hoek

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The only need I see is a little more grit.

I bet the Devils could be a seller for Brian Boyle at the deadline. That shouldn't be more than a late draft pick.
Who sits for Boyle? What does Boyle bring? Hes not exactly gritty.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Who sits for Boyle? What does Boyle bring? Hes not exactly gritty.
And it's not like we're lacking grit on the bottom 6. We have Paquette, Erne, Callahan, Gourde and even Cirelli and Joseph have some grit in them. We've asked for a top 6 power forward before but I don't think we want to mess with any of our offence right now. Boyle wouldn't really bring anything to this team, Paquette is a good 4C for the playoffs.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Easy to look at a juggernaut offense like ours led by Kucherov and say we lack grit, but we have one of the grittiest groups of forwards in the league. I think our defensive corp is middle of the pack, no one is going to confuse Strals and Hedman for Byufglien and Trouba, but adding McD last season and Cernak help tremendously.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Coburn and "better skater" don't much go together. He can still move, hes more mobile than Girardi, but that isn't a high bar. I also think that moving him compared to anyone else makes more sense because of potential pairings.
Ya but do you think they consider signing Coburn to a 1 year deal next season? rather then trade him he is still a solid defenseman just not a great top 4.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Boyle is the biggest fake tough guy in the league. Sure, his size and his face are scary but Joseph could probably knock him out in a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad