Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Who sits for Boyle? What does Boyle bring? Hes not exactly gritty.

We would actually become less gritty by sitting Paq for Boyle.

Boyle's main strength is he can score goals in a bottom line role. Paq does that almost as well (when healthy, and still not as well), but throws 4 hits per game. So long as he's in gear.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If we are fortunate enough to get to the TDL without any major injuries, I honestly would not make a move unless it's to move salary (Miller and/or Callahan) but that's it.

We can move salary in the off-season. Miller, in particular, shouldn't be moved, unless maybe for an upgrade rental.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
The thought of moving a contributing player is the Connolly situation all over again. Sure we got a great return for him at the time but we lost some much needed secondary scoring for the playoff run. Not sure Connolly would've helped us beat Chicago but the offense really dried up late in that series. We could've used a goal threat especially after Johnson got injured. Wait till the off-season for Miller and definitely keep Coburn.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Checks to see where we are in the division: 1st place.
Checks to see where we are in the league:1st place.

Yeah we don’t need to do anything.

giphy.gif

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
A rather interesting situation (and a good one!), messing the roster up as it looks today is a risk, I guess we have to wait and see what we look like before the trade deadline but right now I feel we have depth, seems foolish to stir things up.

I love Boyle, but he is unfortunately too slow, I don't see him as a good fit in our system.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
The only plus Boyle would bring now is being able to play defense in a pinch if someone got injured midgame, but that's an excessive luxury.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I don't think we should make any moves and just go in with the team we have, but I feel like if teams in the east like the Maple Leafs, Bruins, Penguins and Capitals start to add pieces we will think we need to add players as well. Am I the only one who feels this way?

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't think we should make any moves and just go in with the team we have, but I feel like if teams in the east like the Maple Leafs, Bruins, Penguins and Capitals start to add pieces we will think we need to add players as well. Am I the only one who feels this way?
This is where I'm at. We should be very happy with our group right now. No holes, lots of depth - I don't think we want to mess with the chemistry on the ice or in the room if we don't need to. But if the Caps or Pens make a huge add (more than a depth play), or if the Leafs get a Pietrangelo or something like that which actually could upset the balance of power, maybe we look to make an add as well.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Miss Boyle but yea we dont have room for him here. Can we just have him on the roster and he can come out and do the chicken dance for some scum on the other team who doesnt want to fight?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

I'd rather not do anything we're having to scratch capable players as is.

That would be a terrible trade. Not saying Muzzin isn't a bad player but he's strictly a left sided left hand defender. We have Hedman and McDonagh for that who are better so he would be a 3rd pairing guy that cost a 1st +. You could say he would be our Coburn replacement the next few years if we resign him at a good price but I don't think we need to move a 1st for that. We needed to when we got Coburn because he was a 2nd pair guy early on. We look set in the top 4 if Cooper keeps putting Hedman and Sergachev together since McDonagh and Cernak are typically a pair. We can get bottom pair guys via free agency or lesser trades. We still got Masin and Foote prospect wise.

We need to focus on reshaping the forwards after this year. We really don't need Palat, Miller, Gourde and Killorn all making over 4 to be complementary wingers. We can do with two of them and then leave the other spots for younger and cheaper talent like Joseph or Erne. Ideally we move Killorn since he the easiest to replace then Palat since he's the next oldest, makes the most and is the most injury prone. Move those two, plus our 1st and we could get some cheaper top 9 wingers or replenish the pipe with prospects and picks.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Muzzin is the long game solution. There is no way on Earth we are keeping our entire blue line. Take Muzzin now and suddenly we have a solution for the fact we might just lose 3 UFA defensemen

I can only see us acquiring Muzzin as a replacement for Stralman.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can only see us acquiring Muzzin as a replacement for Stralman.

I'm inclined to agree. I saw the new thread and considering the Kings want a 1st and prospect we better be sure he's leaving.

Based on that I pass now a retract my previous post.... It's not like resigning Stralman is IMPOSSIBLE too if you get my drift.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm inclined to agree. I saw the new thread and considering the Kings want a 1st and prospect we better be sure he's leaving.

Yeah, but consider that the "want" is always a step or two above what the actual trade tends to be. Remember the "want" for McDonagh? I believe it was a 1st + a blue chipper +++. Some of that was fan nonsense, for sure, but I remember it being reported as a pretty high price. We paid a reasonable price, mind you, just one that didn't hurt a lot.

If the ask is a 1st +, we can reasonably expect to get something done at a 2nd + a solid prospect, so long as we don't get outbid. The Leafs with Muzzin would be a little scary.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, but consider that the "want" is always a step or two above what the actual trade tends to be. Remember the "want" for McDonagh? I believe it was a 1st + a blue chipper +++. Some of that was fan nonsense, for sure, but I remember it being reported as a pretty high price. We paid a reasonable price, mind you, just one that didn't hurt a lot.

If the ask is a 1st +, we can reasonably expect to get something done at a 2nd + a solid prospect, so long as we don't get outbid. The Leafs with Muzzin would be a little scary.

I'm curious about Martinez too but it really just boils down to how ready we think Cernak is. I made a late edit but resigning Stralman is not IMPOSSIBLE.

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Cernak

You still have Sergachev in the wings too.

I trust JBB and if he's confident we don't need to make a move I'll buy in.

The asking price will go down and you're probably right about the Leafs being players. They'll be a tough out in a 7 game series

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm curious about Martinez too but it really just boils down to how ready we think Cernak is. I made a late edit but resigning Stralman is not IMPOSSIBLE.

Hedman-Stralman
McDonagh-Cernak

You still have Sergachev in the wings too.

I trust JBB and if he's confident we don't need to make a move I'll buy in.

The asking price will go down and you're probably right about the Leafs being players. They'll be a tough out in a 7 game series

I think that's the best guess at our top-4 right now. But who knows. Our management throws us the odd curveball. It's usually hard to predict our roster this far out.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
AHL experts: Has Libor Hajek been as bad as his numbers? Just checked up on him.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Muzzin makes 4mil and will cost a 1st +. Stralman is making 4.5 and we know what we have in him. I'd rather give Stralman 5.5 and use lesser assets than a 1st and try to move all of Callahan's contract. That would free up 4.8 million for next year and our 5 best D remain. Bringing in Muzzin doesn't free up anything and we are even more desperate to move Callahan so the price to goes up, we also don't have a 1st to do it or a prospect to attach to him.

Also if we bring in Muzzin now then we are wasting two of Girardi, Coburn or Cernak as we'd have to sit guys who aren't that bad. Is Muzzin a 1st + prospect better player than Coburn, I don't think so. He's definitely not a 1st + better as well as having to move more assets to rid ourselves of Callahan next year because of the extra cap we added with him. Stick with what we have unless we can get him cheap or have another deal in place to move out a Coburn or Girardi to recoup some assets.

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
If depth scoring doesn’t pick back up soon I actually think a top 6 quality forward may be in order to help the cup run. Maybe something big that pushes Guorde down or just someone to pair with Cirelli and Killiorn amd unlock the third line.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad