Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
In the past 10 seasons there have been 29 1st round picks traded around the deadline and only one time did the player received help a team win the Cup. That was Jeff Carter to LA in 2012. He was a 1C who was played as a 2C behind Kopitar so a high impact player. Muzzin is good but would be a 3rd pair defender, I don't think he'll have the impact needed to be worth trading a 1st for.

If we did acquire Muzzin then I can't see us bringing Stralman back next year as we don't have the cap for both. We need a RD next year more than a 3rd pair LD also so would prefer Stralman even if he cost 5mil to Muzzin at 4. So yes this has a bearing on Stralman. Because this then becomes a 1st + prospect + Stralman for Muzzin.
I'm more shocked that you believe that the org would give up assets for someone like Muzzin, and then play him like a third pairing defender.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'm more shocked that you believe that the org would give up assets for someone like Muzzin, and then play him like a third pairing defender.

Tell me where he's going to play? He's a strickly left sided defender. He's not bumping Hedman or McDonagh from the top 4. Stralman isn't going anywhere on the right so if he could learn to play the right he could bump Cernak but Cernak is playing just fine. He'd be on the bottom pair and Coburn has been just fine in that role this year or even Sergachev as the top guy on that pair. So we'd trare assets for him to play bottom pair them would be scratching one of Sergachev, Coburn or Girardi even more. It doesn't make sense to target him.

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
The koo-koo trade was trading guys with sort of equal skills (and we probably gave up a slightly better player) to ensure roster depth in the AHL in case of injury as koo-koo would not have survived a waiver claim. Given the talent, cohesion, and depth already on this team, I can't see any players they can target that would improve their team. I'm guessing the Lightning stand pat.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This trade will never happen as I don't see Brisebois messing with the roster too much but I'd consider it since it moves out salary now, gets us futures and helps the Crunch.

Miller + Domingue + Bournival for Talbot + Spooner + Puljujarvi + 2019 1st?

It really boils down to flipping Miller and getting max value back, a 1st that should be in the teens. Edmonton gets thier top 6 forward and a little cap relief for a 1st and Puljujarvi who is struggling. We get Puljujarvi for taking Spooner back who has another year left at 3.1. He cleared waivers so would go to Syracuse and give them the top 6 center they need to put them over the top, Bournival goes back for contract purposes. We buy out Spooner in the offseason and have a 1mil caphit because the Rangers are retaining 23%. The goalie swap is just two backups that won't play a lot down the stretch. Talbot can audition for a backup spot with us if he takes a discount while Domingue can try to see if he's legit behind a bad defense.

With Lalonde talking about the defensive rotation I can see us going 11/7 more down the stretch and we are wasting Miller in the bottom 6. Puljujarvi can be a reclamation project who is cheap with potential. The pick and cap space next year is the key pieces.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
This trade will never happen as I don't see Brisebois messing with the roster too much but I'd consider it since it moves out salary now, gets us futures and helps the Crunch.

It really boils down to flipping Miller and getting max value back, a 1st that should be in the teens. Edmonton gets thier top 6 forward and a little cap relief for a 1st and Puljujarvi who is struggling. We get Puljujarvi for taking Spooner back who has another year left at 3.1. He cleared waivers so would go to Syracuse and give them the top 6 center they need to put them over the top, Bournival goes back for contract purposes. We buy out Spooner in the offseason and have a 1mil caphit because the Rangers are retaining 23%. The goalie swap is just two backups that won't play a lot down the stretch. Talbot can audition for a backup spot with us if he takes a discount while Domingue can try to see if he's legit behind a bad defense.

With Lalonde talking about the defensive rotation I can see us going 11/7 more down the stretch and we are wasting Miller in the bottom 6. Puljujarvi can be a reclamation project who is cheap with potential. The pick and cap space next year is the key pieces.

Like you hinted, I wouldn't shake the roster up nor would I decrease our chances of winning the cup by .00001%. I'd explore a deal in the offseason, but no way do tinker with our roster midseason, even for a little extra value back.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl

While that is smart for the future it’s absolutely stupid for the present

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
While that is smart for the future it’s absolutely stupid for the present
I wouldn't say it's stupid especially if you're only going to play Miller on the 4th line. You could play Erne and Joseph every game instead of scratching them. You can go 7 D and not have to scratch Sergachev or Cernak ever. Puljujarvi can maybe find some success here and replace some of the production Miller brought. As for the goalies they're both backups and either one will probably play only 5-10 more games this year. Talbot has sucked this year but he has a better track record than Domingue. So moving out a 4th liner who's overpriced while getting great value back isn't a terrible move.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Tell me where he's going to play? He's a strickly left sided defender. He's not bumping Hedman or McDonagh from the top 4. Stralman isn't going anywhere on the right so if he could learn to play the right he could bump Cernak but Cernak is playing just fine. He'd be on the bottom pair and Coburn has been just fine in that role this year or even Sergachev as the top guy on that pair. So we'd trare assets for him to play bottom pair them would be scratching one of Sergachev, Coburn or Girardi even more. It doesn't make sense to target him.
I think you'd see Hedman and McD get minutes cut ever so slightly and some of the kids would get pushed down, with likely Coburn going out the door. I don't see any deal for Muzzin happening though.

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
What you guys think of ferland? I haven’t watched much of him, but seems like a gritty guy with some skills. Would be nice to have a bit more punch against a team like washington.

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
What you guys think of ferland? I haven’t watched much of him, but seems like a gritty guy with some skills. Would be nice to have a bit more punch against a team like washington.
He is very streaky but can change a game sometimes. Not worth the 7 million he is asking for though

This was a great performance by him

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I watched a few Carolina games early in the year and he didn't strike me as a typical power forward or anything. Not a guy I think we need.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
After reading some of the concerns on Stralman I’m wondering if a top 4 RH shot isn’t a legit need.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Want absolutely no part of Puljujarvi. Christ we bag on Callahan enough around here and adding him would be like adding the same player minus great defensive play

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I wouldn't say it's stupid especially if you're only going to play Miller on the 4th line. You could play Erne and Joseph every game instead of scratching them. You can go 7 D and not have to scratch Sergachev or Cernak ever. Puljujarvi can maybe find some success here and replace some of the production Miller brought. As for the goalies they're both backups and either one will probably play only 5-10 more games this year. Talbot has sucked this year but he has a better track record than Domingue. So moving out a 4th liner who's overpriced while getting great value back isn't a terrible move.

Domingue is signed for next year, Talbot isn't, and I don't think Ingram is ready to be a backup.

Miller despite his recent struggles is a quality forward who is better than Erne and Joseph right now.

Puljujarvi and the 1st is attractive from a futures standpoint, and last time I looked that's a top 10 pick. Edmonton is a train wreck though, this seems like the opposite of the move they should make and a lot less likely with Chiapet out of the picture now.

Rschmitz

Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Want absolutely no part of Puljujarvi. Christ we bag on Callahan enough around here and adding him would be like adding the same player minus great defensive play

I don't like the comparison. Poolparty is a mammoth with boatloads of offensive talent and speed but little in the way of brains and defensive talent. Callahan is diminutive, with little offensive talent or speed but above average smarts and defensive play.

I don't think we touch him either though, because of the lack of smarts. I believe Murray was quoted as saying that physical tools are a bonus, but not one of the top attributes our scouting staffs looks for, which is why we end up with guys like Brayden Point.

One of the reasons Point fell to the third round was because of average speed to size ratio. He's on pace for over 100 points now because at some point he learned to skate almost on par with McDavid. Pretty crazy.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't like the comparison. Poolparty is a mammoth with boatloads of offensive talent and speed but little in the way of brains and defensive talent. Callahan is diminutive, with little offensive talent or speed but above average smarts and defensive play.

I don't think we touch him either though, because of the lack of smarts. I believe Murray was quoted as saying that physical tools are a bonus, but not one of the top attributes our scouting staffs looks for, which is why we end up with guys like Brayden Point.

One of the reasons Point fell to the third round was because of average speed to size ratio. He's on pace for over 100 points now because at some point he learned to skate almost on par with McDavid. Pretty crazy.

I made the comparison because both players will go entire shifts without ever being in any kind of position to shoot the puck. Puljujarvi in particular has a lot to learn in regards to net front presence because there's shifts where he goes right in front and just kind of stands there and it doesn't really help. Sometimes he's screening effectively but it's not like he's gonna be in a position to score off a rebound. When he does shoot it's like a prayer shot that you have to hope will go in because it's usually well read by the goaltender once it leaves the stick. Lucic and Callahan have the same problem too. It's a shot... But it's not dangerous.

But all together I dont see anything special about this guy. To me he's the classic case of someone who was light-years ahead of his peers because of his size, strength and skill and as soon as he ran into other players who knew how to handle it he doesn't know what to do.

That's not to say Puljujarvi will never get it and never be an effective player. But right now I don't want him anywhere but Syracuse if he was a member of the Lightning organization

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Gives a pretty clear impression of their player type here.

Immediately made me think of NES Ice Hockey where you can select your player style. No Big slow guys for JBB

Ice_Hockey_NES_lineup.png

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I liked this bit too from JBB.

With dealing Slater Koekkoek (that day to Chicago for defenseman Jan Rutta), you have now traded six of the past eight guys you took in the first round.
Really?
Well, Koekkoek (first-rounder in 2012), Jonathan Drouin, Brett Connolly, Vladislav Namestnikov …
Connolly was part of our development program, he’s an NHL player. He was part of the connected trade with Boston for two picks, got (defenseman Braydon Coburn) from Philly, he’s still with us and an important member of the organization the last five years. We turned Slater into a good asset. Namestnikov, he went through the development program, he’s still in the NHL, traded him for (Ryan) McDonagh and (J.T.) Miller, they’re a big part of our team. (Andrei Vasilevskiy, taken in first round in 2012), is still here. (Anthony) DeAngelo ended up being Libor Hajek (taken with the pick acquired from Arizona in DeAngelo trade), and he was part of the McDonagh-Miller trade. Drouin is (Mikhail) Sergachev. (Brett) Howden, who is in the NHL right now. So the scouts did a good job. There were not too many misses by our scouting staff when you see it that way.

I think a lot of these trades were made because the players were misses, but he is right. They've turned them all into assets currently on the team (except Rutta)

Reactions: CupsOverCash
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->