Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
*Looks at a PP that's the highest % league-wide since the Islanders with Potvin, Trottier, and Bossy*

Boy I sure wish we had Wayne Simmonds and his 15 goals to make us better!

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I can't think of any defenders that we could afford at the deadline that i'd want. I worry about Girardi and Stralman getting exposed against faster teams and I don't see any of the kids being the "secret weapon" so to speak not to mention you expect Syracuse to go deep. Free agency is interesting too but taking on salary with some of these younger guys seems risky.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I'd worry more about Girardi and Stralman keeping up than the forwards.
I'm definitely concerned about Girardi. Cally too if we can't rest him. Which is precisely why I don't want to bring in yet another slow, aging player like Simmonds.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Simmonds plays 13:30 even strength minutes a game which is more than any forward besides the big 3 and Johnson. He has 11 ES goals, we have 6 forwards who have more ES goals than that, all the top 6 forwards except Palat the 6th is Joseph. He's not a center so Paquette and Cirelli aren't going anywhere, killorn has 10 goals but more points he's not going anywhere. Miller is having his worst goal scoring season in years but we aren't trading Miller for Simmonds. So he's an improvement on 4th liners Erne and Callahan, Erne is actually hitting more than Simmonds and Callahan is great on the PK. Simmonds is better than both but if you cut his ES minutes to what those guys get his production isn't much better and then you have to pay to acquire him. He's just not a clear upgrade to be worth it.

I would prefer someone to push Palat out of the top 6 and then put him with Killorn and Cirelli to have a sick shutdown line. Would make the 4th line Miller - Paquette - Joseph which could be sneaky good. If the cost for a Simmonds or Ferland is a 1st + prospect I would just add another prospect, Erne or a pick to get a legit top 6 forward.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Word is Bruins will pursue Stone if the Senators make him available.

Now that’s a guy worth selling assets for, especially if it keeps him away from Boston.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Word is Bruins will pursue Stone if the Senators make him available.

Now that’s a guy worth selling assets for, especially if it keeps him away from Boston.
They refused to trade Karlsson to us because we were in the same division. If we want to get Stone we'd probably have to overpay.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We aren’t exactly known for scoring dirty goals though. But that’s the kind of goals we’ll need in the playoffs when time and space gets taken away from us and our crisp and clean tic tac toe passing will lose (some of) its effectiveness. Simmonds would bring that plus some sandpaper. As a depth guy. Injuries are the one big thing able to crush all our dreams. Having a physical vet around who can jump up the lineup in case of injuries sounds a lot better than having to throw in Conacher or Martel in a game 6 in the 2nd or 3rd round.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
A Simmonds is absolutely pointless unless we have guys who can even get the puck through the wall of bodies in front of the net and our defense is NOT good at that. Their idea of shooting is to do it standing still. Hedman shoots wide, Sergachev isn't ready for big minutes, Girardi and Coburn are only good shooting from a few feet out, Stralman fumbles the puck any time he has to move with it in tight quarters and McDonagh is serviceable at best.

We are gonna have A LOT of trouble if we run into DPE hockey again and it's gonna boil down to our defense not being able to be involved in the play. We were done in by the Capitals because they had 5 guys attacking at all times and the best we could manage was 3. Our defense literally just stood there the whole time trying to keep the puck in. The only reason we got past the Wings all those years ago was because they basically attacked us back with 3 guys as well

God forbid we run into the Islanders. It's gonna take 6 games at minimum and thank God for us their defense doesn't have guys like Carlson and Orlov who jump into almost any given play.

gg720fla

Dec 14, 2016
Haven't been on here for quite a while due to issues, but felt like I would add my 2 cents. Simmonds definitely isn't what he used to be but what this team surely needs is someone who would let the other team know you will be accountable for taking cheap shots at our scorers like Anderson did last night with Johnson. We have been hitting this year but I still feel like other teams don;t respect us when they take runs at our better players. I don't see anyone on this team now who would be that presence on the ice that other teams would respect knowing he would get in their face immediately. If he could be had as a rental for the playoffs without giving up certain starters or high draft choices, I would make the trade quickly. I think he is what is needed to put us over the top to finally get the cup this year.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
If we actually trade for Simmonds JBB deserves to get fired on the spot. Even f***ing Martel is more useful than that bum. I'm so f***ing sick of people thinking we need some kind of f***ing grit when skill is what wins you games in this league.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I might be wrong but it feels like our secondary scoring has gone waaay down the past few weeks/months though.

Edit: Scoring among our forwards since Jan 1st:

LzALOZX.png

I personally think it is the line combos

Reactions: HoseEmDown

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
If we actually trade for Simmonds JBB deserves to get fired on the spot. Even ****ing Martel is more useful than that bum. I'm so ****ing sick of people thinking we need some kind of ****ing grit when skill is what wins you games in this league.
Why dont you sit a couple plays out...

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
Omg you guys need some offensive depth in your line-up...

Take Drouin and give us back Sergachev. 1v1 no questions asked.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
It isnt Colton Orr, the guy actually scores goals.

On the powerplay maybe. He won't be on our first unit and there wont be many powerplays in the playoffs anyways. If we get him I doubt he scores a single goal in the playoffs. He actually hasn't had a goal in his last two playoffs and even in his prime he had some disappointing totals.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Callahan, Coburn, Gourde, and Masin to STL for Alex Pietrangelo.

Because having five RD and two LD on the roster makes a ton of sense.:eyeroll:

Not to mention that with Masin included as well we wouldn’t have a single even close to NHL-ready LD in the organization after Hedman and McDonagh.

And don’t tell me that Sergachev is a LD. He’s left-handed but he’s played his best on the right side, he’s been playing there all season, and unless we’re going to keep him on the bottom pairing for the better part of the next decade he’s going to stay there.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Not to mention that with Masin included as well we wouldn’t have a single even close to NHL-ready LD in the organization after Hedman and McDonagh.

And don’t tell me that Sergachev is a LD. He’s left-handed but he’s played his best on the right side, he’s been playing there all season, and unless we’re going to keep him on the bottom pairing for the better part of the next decade he’s going to stay there.

Well yeah... we need SOMEONE to be 2nd pairing behind Karlsson

:DD

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016

Think I’ve read the Lightning would like to move him back to the left side permanently

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Think I’ve read the Lightning would like to move him back to the left side permanently

Where’d you read that? Not saying it isn’t true but it makes little sense unless we’re planning on moving McDonagh or assuming that Seattle will take him in the expansion draft.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I believe the quote was more along the lines of wanting to play all our defense on their handedness appropriate position

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad