Speculation: 2018-2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Does anybody though? I think Kreider still does it more often than anybody we have, and most players in the league, aside from maybe Paquette, but that's not who Paquette is.

I don't think we can cough up the return it would take to land him, mind you.

Why didn't you respond to my post? Player A is Kreider and player B is Miller. JT Miller the last 3 seasons on the same team as Kreider had the same number of points, out scored him and outscored him. The only reason Kreider is having a good season this year is because Miller isn't there showing him up like he used to. Kreider was always given more chances and the top PP minutes every season which he did score a lot of PP goals but besides that Miller was just as good if not better than him. Why do we want Kreider when we have the better winger in Miller and we don't know what to do with him?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Why didn't you respond to my post? Player A is Kreider and player B is Miller. JT Miller the last 3 seasons on the same team as Kreider had the same number of points, out scored him and outscored him. The only reason Kreider is having a good season this year is because Miller isn't there showing him up like he used to. Kreider was always given more chances and the top PP minutes every season which he did score a lot of PP goals but besides that Miller was just as good if not better than him. Why do we want Kreider when we have the better winger in Miller and we don't know what to do with him?

I didn't respond because it's the same thing I said to SIA: I like the way Kreider goes to the net hard, and I think it would fit here, particularly in the playoffs. SIA pointed out that he doesn't do it consistently, but I still think he does it more than just about anybody else, and more than any of our scorers.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Does anybody though? I think Kreider still does it more often than anybody we have, and most players in the league, aside from maybe Paquette, but that's not who Paquette is.

I don't think we can cough up the return it would take to land him, mind you.
I just... I don't know, i'm not a fan and I can't really verbalize why right now. Same with paying for him, it'd be too much.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I just... I don't know, i'm not a fan and I can't really verbalize why right now. Same with paying for him, it'd be too much.

Agreed on paying for him.

I find he's a player you hate when he's in another jersey, which is kind of why I'd like him here too. Somebody floated the idea of NYR retaining 50%, which would drive his value up, because he'd be a great guy to have at 2.3m for two playoff runs. But again, I think the Rangers can get a much better offer elsewhere. Because we're not really filling a hole, I can't see us making a big pitch. He's just a guy who I think would fit well with our current team, so long as he's playing on the edge and not going over.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
A week from the deadline and this thread is dying. Smart money on standing pat? It would take a real expensive difference maker to move the needle.

It’s almost like the team is speaking to management with its recent play.

Reactions: Rschmitz

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Please no more NYR. I think 5 since the St. Louis trade is enough. That team had years to get it done and never did. It's starting to eat at me that we share the same narrative with the same players

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
Defensemen are tricky to bring in - esspecially to assimilate to the new system.

The one concern I have is our ability to score dirty/greasy goals in the playoffs.

We can snipe from anywhere, but if teams collapse and take away shooting/passing lanes, are we equipped to score this way?

RegularSznAllStars

Sep 23, 2014
Defensemen are tricky to bring in - esspecially to assimilate to the new system.

The one concern I have is our ability to score dirty/greasy goals in the playoffs.

We can snipe from anywhere, but if teams collapse and take away shooting/passing lanes, are we equipped to score this way?

We have seen us struggle with this multiple times in the playoffs. I think it comes down to the coaching staff being able to gameplan for this and find something effective against it. I don’t think bringing in a specific player fixes this problem, but rather a proper game plan counteracts this better.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Brewer and Coburn were both great for us when we brought them in, but why on Earth would anyone touch this roster except to bring in a superstar?
This. End of story. If we can get AP or Stone we do it. Otherwise, let’s not around mess with the current mix. I would be willing to part with next year’s first and a grade B prospect. This is the best shot we have (at least nominally so), our cupboard isn’t bare, and Al Murray is actually better with later picks anyways. Let’s take the shot if it makes sense. But I think that the cost for the above-referenced players will be even higher.

So, alas, let’s win it with the group we have. I am ready for Stammer 3.0, an elevated Vasy, doing his best Bulin Wall playoff impression, the return of playoff Kuch 15-16, McD circa 11-12 playoffs, Heddy circa 14-15 playoffs, plus Drago and Fat Face Erne destroying anything that moves in the playoffs.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
This. End of story. If we can get AP or Stone we do it. Otherwise, let’s not around mess with the current mix. I would be willing to part with next year’s first and a grade B prospect. This is the best shot we have (at least nominally so), our cupboard isn’t bare, and Al Murray is actually better with later picks anyways. Let’s take the shot if it makes sense. But I think that the cost for the above-referenced players will be even higher.

So, alas, let’s win it with the group we have. I am ready for Stammer 3.0, an elevated Vasy, doing his best Bulin Wall playoff impression, the return of playoff Kuch 15-16, McD circa 11-12 playoffs, Heddy circa 14-15 playoffs, plus Drago and Fat Face Erne destroying anything that moves in the playoffs.

Thats the way I feel. Like somebody else said if we make a move, swing for the fences. If its for somebody who arguably makes us better, its probably better to keep it the way it is.

Reactions: Rschmitz

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Panarin or nothing, we don't have the expendable pieces to trade for Stone. Columbus is re-tooling and staying competitive we can get by with Miller as a main piece, Ottawa will full rebuild if they have to trade both Duchene and Stone which means they want high picks and prospects which we shouldnt be giving out.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
I said it before in another thread, but when you’ve got three forwards with legitimate chances at breaking the 100-point mark, last year’s Norris winner, and one of the best goalies in the game, at some point you have to say that the GM and staff have done their jobs and it’s time for the players to do theirs. If our best players show up throughout the playoffs nobody can beat us; if they disappear again it won’t matter who we add to our third or fourth line. This is the best and deepest team in Lightning history and it’s time for them to act like it when it matters.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
This isn't trade related but what I would like to see down the stretch is a few guys get their call up. We are rolling along so well and are already rotating some guys I would even expand that a bit more. I want to see Verheaghe, Stephens, Volkov, Foote and even Masin get a cup of coffee. Verheaghe, Volkov and Stephens could easily be on the team next year to replace Callahan, trade or buyout candidate, and Paquette, wants too much money, so we need to see what we have. On D Foote could be on the opening night roster and Masin could as well as the 7th. Would love to also see ABB, Raddysh and Katchouk but too many ahead need there's first.

Reactions: Stamper

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think Martinez would be an upgrade on the third pairing, or like a Tanev or something, but I don't know if it's enough of one to pay for. We probably have the best third pairing in the league already (when everyone is slotted properly). Hedman and McDonagh will also get heavier usage in the playoffs than they have in the regular season.

TampaBoltz

Oct 26, 2015
Its got to be hard for a GM to stand pat when other really good/hot teams start getting really good players. My main concern is the 3rd line. I think you can go with your 4th line being more of a physical shut down line. But if your first 2 lines are slowed down, you need some help from the 3rd. Adding a top 6 player and bumping a good player down would really help. Also, I have been a big Mathieu Joseph fan since his junior days. But he scares me on the 4th line in the playoffs. I would like to see him bulk up some then be a 3rd liner next year. I just don't like him on the 4th line with his lack of size. It seemed like a buyers market a few weeks ago. But with teams like Boston, St. Louis, and Chicago playing much better, there are going to be a lot of teams looking to add. And that will make the price of a trade go up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->