Hellebuyck
Mr Backup

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's a new thought:

Laine Chef Wheeler
Perrault Little Ehlers
Conner Petan Roslovic (soft matchup scoring)
Copp Lowry Tanev

That's not a new thought, it was one of my 38 line combinations lol
For some reason I just feel Connor and Roslo will play well together. Only difference is I had Roslo centre and Petan wing. But that looks great, I really like that second line too.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You prefer Dano over Petan?
Dano fits better on RW, and I have a hunch he's coming to camp ready to compete. If he's trimmer, faster and fitter Dano could be a real dynamo in the bottom 6. He's a disruptive winger on the forecheck, and the Jets need that.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Dano fits better on RW, and I have a hunch he's coming to camp ready to compete. If he's trimmer, faster and fitter Dano could be a real dynamo in the bottom 6. He's a disruptive winger on the forecheck, and the Jets need that.
Him or Petan better take the bulls by the horn and snag that spot as I think they will be given that opportunity.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
For those who are penciling Vesalainen into their lineups, remember that his contract will likely carry hefty performance bonuses which the Jets are already struggling with. If one of Vesalainen and Appleton was to break out at NHL level this year, one would cost 2x more than the other due to bonuses.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
For those who are penciling Vesalainen into their lineups, remember that his contract will likely carry hefty performance bonuses which the Jets are already struggling with. If one of Vesalainen and Appleton was to break out at NHL level this year, one would cost 2x more than the other due to bonuses.

Ves's ELC is also eligible to slide one more year which will likely play a role in whether he makes the team or not.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ves's ELC is also eligible to slide one more year which will likely play a role in whether he makes the team or not.
Unless Vesalainen starts outplaying guys who nobody expected him to beat, I reckon they should just let him mature in the A. With the expansion draft looming ahead, a plethora of options at W and all sorts of cap constraints eating our wiggle room, it's just logical to make the most of Vesalainen's slide risk.

Unless, of course, the guy refuses to sign without an agreement on him being a NHL regular next year, in which case there's little we can do.

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
Hmmm when some posters suggested that PoMo was holding Laine back in 2nd line just because of that thay were treated with tinfoil hat. Cap will be more of issue this year, but if the guy really pushes himself to lineup I still don’t believe they send him to Moose because of money/cap.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Hmmm when some posters suggested that PoMo was holding Laine back in 2nd line just because of that thay were treated with tinfoil hat. Cap will be more of issue this year, but if the guy really pushes himself to lineup I still don’t believe they send him to Moose because of money/cap.
You shouldn't deliberately shoot yourself in the foot, but you might run out of good options at some point.

Two years ago, Shayne Gostisbehere was held down in the AHL after his record-breaking point streak for a rookie defenseman. Why? The Flyers couldn't afford to have his ELC cap hit in the roster and had to ice cheaper ELCs instead. And we're talking about a D corps consisting of superstars such as Nick Schultz, Radko Gudas, Mark Streit and Evgeny Medvedev. In 64 games, Ghost put up 33% of all points by Philly's D-men as a rookie.

It wouldn't be the first time a NHL team did something stupid for financial reasons, and it certainly won't be the last either.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The Jets won't hold Ves back but he won't be penciled into a spot like other good young players in years past. He will have to truly earn his spot on the roster.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets won't hold Ves back but he won't be penciled into a spot like other good young players in years past. He will have to truly earn his spot on the roster.
Only reason for this imo is because his contract can slide. Because if he's good enough and shows better than Dano and Petan (who won't clear waivers) then he should be on team, but those two factors will keep him off.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think this is the year Laine gets to move up and play with the big boys and on the left side.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler (who are kidding Scheif and Wheeler will play together)
Connor-Little-Ehlers
MP-Rosie-Dano/Vesalainen (if ready)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kuli-Myers
Chiarot/Poolman

Helly
Helly's league minimum buddy

But Chevy please make sure you get Laine extended before you give him the keys to a 55-60 goal season and the Rocket.

TorJet

Jun 27, 2016
Ves would have to absolutely blow the doors off in training camp to even get 9 games with the team. Why would you burn a year of his ELC, not to mention risk his confidence when he’s not ready?

We have enough forward depth for him not to start in the NHL. Will he make it up for the playoff push/playoffs? That completely depends on his performance in the A.

There is ZERO reason to rush a guy like that onto this roster, given the guys we have up front. Do we think scoring will be an issue next year????? If not, then why rush this guy?

Reactions: Guffman

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think this is the year Laine gets to move up and play with the big boys and on the left side.

Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler (who are kidding Scheif and Wheeler will play together)
Connor-Little-Ehlers
MP-Rosie-Dano/Vesalainen (if ready)
Copp-Lowry-Tanev
Petan

Morrissey-Trouba
Morrow-Buff
Kuli-Myers
Chiarot/Poolman

Helly
Helly's league minimum buddy

But Chevy please make sure you get Laine extended before you give him the keys to a 55-60 goal season and the Rocket.

I agree to an extent - I think Laine will be given the opportunity to work with Wheels and Scheif - not sure he'll stay there.
What it will comes down to is what has changed since last year other than Laine being a year older?
Is this just natural progression or is there something about Laine's game that makes you feel this is the time to move him up?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree to an extent - I think Laine will be given the opportunity to work with Wheels and Scheif - not sure he'll stay there.
What it will comes down to is what has changed since last year other than Laine being a year older?
Is this just natural progression or is there something about Laine's game that makes you feel this is the time to move him up?
I think it is time for him to take the next step. Little was the defensive conscience for E-L-L but there was not much there offensively. In year 3 Laine needs to take his proper place in the lineup and adapt at both ends of the ice. I think Laine will extend shortly before camp and discussions with his agent will focus a lot on usage. Laine will give the Jets a deal they can live with and keep their young core together and in return the Jets will give him opportunity with one of the top centers in the league and an assist machine winger. IMO in the arms race that is the Central it is time to really see what the kid can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad