Line Combos: 2018-2019 Starting Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
take it to the laine thread.. i came here to post my 10th differant variant of the starting line up.. now yall ruined my mood and dont get to see the master piece i had planned!

Right! That's why I came here too. Perhaps a mod can move it all over. Now it's midnight & I got so distracted I never did. Colbert's now on. Tomorrow!

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Everything is relative & in comparison to the rest of the Jets forwards he's at the bottom end. Is it not fair to say he was the Jets worst defensive forward not named Hendricks? A case could be made for Kyle Connor, but his second half was substantially better than his first.

Last seasons Jets dominated possession & shot statistics. Unblocked shots attempts & shot attempts had Laine near the bottom of our regular forwards just above Kyle Connor. Granted Laine was positive in both criteria, but they were a far cry from those put up by Perreault, Lowry or even his linemate Ehlers.
View attachment 129361

No he is not at the bottom of the forwards, you just posted a screenshot earlier which said he had best top-6 GA and GF/GA%, which are the main defensive stats (along with +/- maybe). How can you say the underlying stats confirm he’s defensively unsound, and now say he’s at the bottom end of all forwards. You are cherry picking fancy stats here, and saying that the stats confirm that notion is patently false. He did better than the first line in this regard, like it or not. I mean how many breakaways didn’t the first line give away, they seemed to totally ignore defense at times. That’s of course subjective, but stats can’t really be argued against, I’m just confused how we can have such opposing reads from them.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
No he is not in the bottom of the forwards, you just posted a screenshot earlier which said he had best top-6 GA and GF/GA%, which are the main defensive stats (along with +/- maybe). How can you say the underlying stats confirm he’s defensively unsound, and now say he’s at the bottom end. You are cherry picking fancy stats here, and saying the stats confirm that notion is patently false.

I had to go looking for that info when Ippenator couldn't find it. It wasn't a site I use with any regularity. I was rather surprised to see he was correct with that stat.

I'm not cherry picking here, I've always considered shots to provide an accurate method to gauge defensive mindedness. If you were to go thru my posting history, nearly every stat I've ever quoted is sourced from nhl.com & the 5x5 data found there. It's been my understanding that using shooting statistics & their differential of for vs. against provides a more accurate way to quantify a players offensive & defensive future potential. Sample size is the reason for this as far more shots occur than goals.

With that said, I have no issue providing data that contradicts my position further. Using that same site from earlier & reviewing the 2016-2017 season Laine was once again positive with regards to 5x5 goal differential, being second best on the team while only a rookie.
Screen Shot 2018-07-10 at 12.48.56 AM.png

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I had to go looking for that info when Ippenator couldn't find it. It wasn't a site I use with any regularity. I was rather surprised to see he was correct with that stat.

I'm not cherry picking here, I've always considered shots to provide an accurate method to gauge defensive mindedness. If you were to go thru my posting history, nearly every stat I've ever quoted is sourced from nhl.com & the 5x5 data found there. It's been my understanding that using shooting statistics & their differential of for vs. against provides a more accurate way to quantify a players offensive & defensive future potential. Sample size is the reason for this as far more shots occur than goals.

With that said, I have no issue providing data that contradicts my position further. Using that same site from earlier & reviewing the 2016-2017 season Laine was once again positive with regards to 5x5 goal differential, being second best on the team while only a rookie.
View attachment 129365

Thanks, and I do understand your point. I see fancy stats as supporting the actual stats, but Laine has always been performing really well in the actual defensive stats. That’s why I reacted when stats were used to downplay his defense, which I disagree with :)

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Your post shows exactly this strange thinking where all shots are thought of being equal. Shots by themselves are not all as good ones as some others. It is of course smarter to let the opponent even get shots from low danger areas, and even steer them rather there, as long as they are prevented from getting the high danger shots. Especially counter attacks with 3-2 or 2-1 are usually very high danger situations. And unfortunately for example Scheifele, Wheeler and Connor playing together caused way too many of those high danger chances because they were all quite deep in the offensive zone usually, and none of them was too often very well positioned if they lost the puck in the offensive zone. These kind of things happen ultra rarely when Laine is on the ice. Seems like some of you just don't realize it or you just don't value it very highly for some reason.

And btw, I’m half American myself and my father is an American whom still lives there. I was born in New York, and I still have dual citizenship. I lived there also at some point as an adult. Of course there’s a lot of good things and nice people in America. But in general I disagree with the certain mentality that often comes from North America. Making science of everything is exactly one of those, but there are many others too. I am just much more into the European ways and thinking in most things, I guess. It does of course lead maybe even too often into some disagreements on this site unfortunately.

You know Ippenator you catch some guff on these boards but I appreciate your thoughtful reply. I share your reservations about Americans kind of trying to secure and quantify everything, and occasionally missing the forest for the trees.

For what it's worth I think you do have a point, but I also think a lot of times getting outshot is just getting outshot; it happens because the opponent got the better of you.

Reactions: Ippenator

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Goals projection forward base on 80 games

Schiefele 35
Wheeler 25
Laine 50 at 15mins a game 60 at 19mins a game :)
Connor 35
Ehlers 30
Little 20
Perrault 15
Lowry 15
Roslovic 20
Petan 15
Tanev 5
Copp 5
Vesailainen less than 10 games 2 goals

Whileee

May 29, 2010
And yet with so much smaller minutes he had also the best 5 on 5 goal difference from the Jets, together with Scheifele. Even though playing so many minutes less. Also, you dont find it interesting that all the players that Laine played 5 on 5 hockey with for several games, had more goals scored against them when they played without him. This happened to Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor and Little. Stastny played so small amount of games for the Jets, that his stats are not very well comparable here.
I think it's pretty obvious to most people reading your posts that if the stats were reversed and Laine's shot metrics were good but his on-ice goal differential was poor, you'd be arguing in favour of shot metrics.

I appreciate a good fan, and I'm also a huge fan of Laine. But sometimes fans go too far and lose objectivity. Enough said...

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I think it's pretty obvious to most people reading your posts that if the stats were reversed and Laine's shot metrics were good but his on-ice goal differential was poor, you'd be arguing in favour of shot metrics.

I appreciate a good fan, and I'm also a huge fan of Laine. But sometimes fans go too far and lose objectivity. Enough said...
How that kind of a thing is obvious? I have been posting always against shot metrics. I couldn’t care less that my other favorite player, Sebastian Aho, is a Corsi monster, especially for his age and experience. It’s simply irrelevant to me. But I do always care exactly about how well he can score from his chances and is he good at creating high danger chances on a steady basis. He is an excellent and underrated player so far in the NHL, but I do have to say that for him to get past Laine as a player, he will need to start converting more of his shots into goals. He is definitely not bad with efficiency, but he just needs to still get better with it.

I also don’t see Aho’s good shot metrics as any kind of proof of him having great defensive skills. That is proven simply by his great positioning, very good forechecking and otherwise good and active pressuring. He is also surprisingly good at board battles. Still his shot metrics don’t prove these things.

You just built a strawman there. That’s what it is when you invent an approach and attach it to a poster whom never had it. And just to try to prove some point of yours. This kind of thing is dishonest and I really hope you and any other poster wouldn’t do it really.

Last edited:

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Why even say shot metrics? Either say Corsi or xGoals. Both have their uses but neither paint a full picture. Over a large data set, shot metrics can absolutely be useful but let's be precise here.

I would put Laine with Scheifele immediately because even if they would be bad defensively, they form perhaps literally the deadliest offensive combo in the whole league. That means that they can suck defensively all they want because none of the opposing offense can do what they do, none of them. Besides, Helle is there to stand on his head.

Besides, CSW was fairly bad defensively anyway so how much worse can it be?

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Goals projection forward base on 80 games

Schiefele 35
Wheeler 25
Laine 50 at 15mins a game 60 at 19mins a game :)
Connor 35
Ehlers 30
Little 20
Perrault 15
Lowry 15
Roslovic 20
Petan 15
Tanev 5
Copp 5
Vesailainen less than 10 games 2 goals

How many 30 goal seasons did the jets have over the first 5 years of 2.0? Just EKane’s right?

It’s crazy to think they could have 4 30 goal scorers next season pretty easy....

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Connor-Scheifele-Laine: gives Laine his playmaker and makes structuring the rest of the lineup so, so much easier. Connor and Scheifele should fit his style well, being able to pass and carry/retrieve the puck well and succeed along the boards.

Perreault-Little-Ehlers: 60+% Corsi line from last year over 200 minutes of ES hockey. Ehlers' speed gives them another dimension, and the two-way play is on point.

X-Roslovic-Wheeler: to insulate Roslovic, he gets the best player on the team to work with and drive the offense. I don't really know who is the best fit with these two. Maybe Connor, seeing as he has history with Roslo and Wheeler.

Copp-Lowry-Tanev: the shutdown line to end them all.

Problems: Wheeler, third line. Pick one.

Shaibu

Nov 12, 2016
Connor Scheifele Wheeler
Laine Roslovic Ehlers
Perreault Little Vesalaine
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Niku Byfuglien
Morrow Myers

Hellebyuck
Some new goalie (better than Brossoit)

STZD

Jan 13, 2018
Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Peverley - Antropov - Kane
Stewart - Burmistrov - Bergfors
Boulton - Slater - Eager

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Hainsey - Bogosian
Sopel - Oduya

Pavelec
Mason

Oh... wait...

This isn't right, we just traded Mason

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Winnipeg Jets:

Situation, numbers show a breakout opportunity for Jack Roslovic

Jack-Roslovic-Jets.jpg

Going off of his sample size from last year, and with a new opportunity presenting itself with Paul Stastny's departure, Jack Roslovic is a prime breakout candidate going into the season.

Read the rest here:

Winnipeg Jets: Situation, numbers show a breakout opportunity for Jack Roslovic

I truly believe Connor and Roslovic are going to be our Getzlaf and Perry. Not in terms of style but in terms of impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad