Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The trade is irrelevant. Sens would've probably drafted JBD with 22nd anyway.

From what I recall, the team was commenting that they were considering moving back a second time because they thought their guy (JBD) would still be available. We got the guy we wanted, time will tell if it was the right move. Getting Tychonick was a bonus.

Reactions: Hands of Stone

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So then they got Tychonick for free?

It's hard to say it like that, but in a sense yes. They targeted a guy they really wanted (JBD) and then figured out he would still be here if they were moving down a few spots from the 22nd OA. It was a very wise move to acquire the 48th OA pick just like that. It could backfire if both bust but adding a 2nd round pick just like that in the most disappointing season in 22 years was a silver lining.

Credit to the Caps for beating the Pens in the playoffs and give us the 22nd OA in the first place.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
It's hard to say it like that, but in a sense yes. They targeted a guy they really wanted (JBD) and then figured out he would still be here if they were moving down a few spots from the 22nd OA. It was a very wise move to acquire the 48th OA pick just like that. It could backfire if both bust but adding a 2nd round pick just like that in the most disappointing season in 22 years was a silver lining.

Credit to the Caps for beating the Pens in the playoffs and give us the 22nd OA in the first place.
Miller and bokk interested me there. Will watch them and see how they turn out.
I like our two dmen though. Should be fine.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Miller and bokk interested me there. Will watch them and see how they turn out.
I like our two dmen though. Should be fine.

Sens knew at the draft that they would trade Karlsson, so they went for their biggest future need, a RD

They could have went with Filip Johansson, Nils Lundkvist, Bode Wilde or someone else but I guess they wanted JBD more than anyone.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Sens knew at the draft that they would trade Karlsson, so they went for their biggest future need, a RD

They could have went with Filip Johansson, Nils Lundkvist, Bode Wilde or someone else but I guess they wanted JBD more than anyone.
Oh yeah Wilde was another guy

Reactions: Xspyrit

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

They spent a considerable amount of time in the BCHL and AJHL, and were in Truro when Crookshank/JBD/Tychonik were all on the same team for the week.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

JBD wasn't drafted because we needed a future top 4 RD. He was drafted because he was the BPA in the scouting staff's estimation.

If we were drafting for need, we would have selected Dobson or Bouchard 4th OVR to help replace Karlsson.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
JBD wasn't drafted because we needed a future top 4 RD. He was drafted because he was the BPA in the scouting staff's estimation.

If we were drafting for need, we would have selected Dobson or Bouchard 4th OVR to help replace Karlsson.

Hoffman, LW - Tkachuk LW
Karlsson RD - JBD RD

Coincidence

I don't mean it was 100% based on need but a combination of need and BPA is possible. Unless you think JBD was undoubtedly the BPA at 26th OA?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hoffman, LW - Tkachuk LW
Karlsson RD - JBD RD

Coincidence

I don't mean it was 100% based on need but a combination of need and BPA is possible. Unless you think JBD was undoubtedly the BPA at 26th OA?

So we can expect a RW and a C as our top 2 picks in 2019 to replace Stone and Duchene?

Teams almost never draft a winger to fill a need. Wing is the easiest position to fill on a team. It's almost always a center, defenseman or a goaltender that is drafted for need.

Tkachuk and JBD were drafted where they were because the Sens scouting staff felt they were the BPA at the spot they chose them.

JBD wasn't my BPA at 26th, but I certainly didn't get the chance to view him as much as the Sens scouting staff.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
So we can expect a RW and a C as our top 2 picks in 2019 to replace Stone and Duchene?

Teams almost never draft a winger to fill a need. Wing is the easiest position to fill on a team. It's almost always a center, defenseman or a goaltender that is drafted for need.

Tkachuk and JBD were drafted where they were because the Sens scouting staff felt they were the BPA at the spot they chose them.

JBD wasn't my BPA at 26th, but I certainly didn't get the chance to view him as much as the Sens scouting staff.

Tkachuk was definitely drafted as BPA. If it was need, they probably would have gone with Dobson like you said. And since Montreal didn't draft Tkachuk, they wouldn't pass on him and still had to get a top RD prospect. Like I said, of course they didn't go 100% need but were definitely looking to fill an organizational need knowing that Karlsson would be gone soon.

Anyway, it's very subjective so it's my opinion. Doesn't mean I am right since I was not at the draft table.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Tkachuk was definitely drafted as BPA. If it was need, they probably would have gone with Dobson like you said. And since Montreal didn't draft Tkachuk, they wouldn't pass on him and still had to get a top RD prospect. Like I said, of course they didn't go 100% need but were definitely looking to fill an organizational need knowing that Karlsson would be gone soon.

Anyway, it's very subjective so it's my opinion. Doesn't mean I am right since I was not at the draft table.

I think team’s should always take the BPA, and if several are viewed as equal, then take the one in a position where you anticipate you will have the greatest future need. Few draft eligible players have the skill and strength to play in the NHL in their draft year so you draft for future needs and hope the ones you select will develop as desired. One issue though is determining who is/are the BPAs when it is your turn to draft. Different scouts have different opinions. In the case of Miller versus Bernard-Docker plus Tychonic, only time will tell which option is better. Right now the NYR choice looks better but it is far too early to make an informed assessment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
While hitch hiking down East a number of yrs ago, I slept in the park in Truro on my way to PEI because someone told us that the youth hostel was the Police Station. :laugh:

"I fought authority but authority always wins."

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
While hitch hiking down East a number of yrs ago, I slept in the park in Truro on my way to PEI because someone told us that the youth hostel was the Police Station. :laugh:

"I fought authority but authority always wins."
Yeah I spent a bit of time in Truro as a Teenager, great spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad