Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The fact that we had to throw in one of our prospects in the deal is a head-scratcher.

Related to the number of contracts I suppose, we "had" to send one the other way, but wish it could have been Macoy Erkamps for example... Perron wanted out so Dorion didn't want to waste time and energy trying to trade him in a separate deal, used the EK deal to accommodate Perron. Anyway, Perron's value at that point was probably not more than a 7th, as a "reclamation project" prospect.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Related to the number of contract I suppose, we "had" to send one the other way, but wish it could have been Macoy Erkamps for example... Perron wanted out so Dorion didn't want to waste time and energy trying to trade him in a separate deal, used the EK deal to accommodate Perron. Anyway, Perron's value at that point was probably not more than a 7th, as a "reclamation project" prospect.

Yeah, it just always irks me when a skill guy gets sent out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yeah, it just always irks me when a skill guy gets sent out.
When a skill guy, on a team with only Chlapik as a skilled guy, is being used exclusively on the 4th line and healthy scratched, it would only be natural for that guy to be fed up.

Just a casualty of the worst AHL coach and system in the NHL.

Very good they addressed that.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
But wasn't this season...with new coach and GM of team with new plan for youth movement the time to keep a player like that and see how he would blossom?

I agree his usage was bad but he could have been very happy in Belleville with Brown as his C (or whoever).

Reactions: DrEasy

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Dorion has said that we will be passing up more skilled players for players that have intangibles (character, work ethic and leadership), particularly in the later rounds.

Applying that kind of screening process retroactively, I don't know if we miss out on guys like Stone, Lajoie, Jaros or Batherson, but we probably miss out on guys like Hoffman, Dzingel and Wideman in favour of less skilled players in the mold of Borowiecki and McCormick.

Plus, as I've pointed out many times, our least successful picks have been the ones where we passed up skill and hockey sense in favour of intangibles and defensive ability (eg. Lazar, White, Englund, Cowen, etc...). So Dorion deciding that we should actively move away from the types of players we have been historically successful in selecting to the types of players we have not successful with, says all you need to know about the man's judgement.

The scouting staff should be given free reign to select whatever player they think has the best chance to help the team the most in the future. That kind of top-down directive from management will do nothing but harm the scouting staff's chances of bettering the organization through the draft, and they are the only aspect of the organization that has actively made the franchise more successful.
Some guys just bust. You can't say that Lazar didn't have skill. You can't say that Cowen didn't have skill (most fans here were happy with that pick). On the flip side guys with more skill after Cowen would have been MSP? Who is now a 4th liner. If you want pure skill with no intangibles you can bust aswell

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
Nurmi is in a heck of a scoring slump. To see what's been going on with him, I've been watching some of the TPS games lately to get an idea of what was going on. Nurmi seems to be getting very little ice time. I'm not sure if this is a reaction to his slump, or his ice time and deployment are the reason for his slump. But it is clear that he's not being looked to for a primary source of offense. He gets 3-4 shifts per period and his shift length is quite short. In situations where a goal or some offense is looked for, Nurmi isn't really played in those situations. He sees a lot of defensive zone starts. He plays on the first PK line for TPS, so I think the coach sees him as a more reliable shut down forward rather than an offensive weapon.

I do like his ability to battle along the boards, and his strong drives to the net. Of the games I've watched there hasn't been much in terms of offensive chances for him though, so I can't really comment on his offense abilities beyond puck battles.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Nurmi is in a heck of a scoring slump. To see what's been going on with him, I've been watching some of the TPS games lately to get an idea of what was going on. Nurmi seems to be getting very little ice time. I'm not sure if this is a reaction to his slump, or his ice time and deployment are the reason for his slump. But it is clear that he's not being looked to for a primary source of offense. He gets 3-4 shifts per period and his shift length is quite short. In situations where a goal or some offense is looked for, Nurmi isn't really played in those situations. He sees a lot of defensive zone starts. He plays on the first PK line for TPS, so I think the coach sees him as a more reliable shut down forward rather than an offensive weapon.

I do like his ability to battle along the boards, and his strong drives to the net. Of the games I've watched there hasn't been much in terms of offensive chances for him though, so I can't really comment on his offense abilities beyond puck battles.
He never will be, wherever he plays.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Filip AHL struggling a bit early on 0 points in 5 games

Do we still own his rights? He hasn't been at the last few development camps. I thought when he left to play in Europe that he gave up on trying to be an NHL player or something because the Sens stopped mentioning him and his didn't seem to be involved in any of the Sens prospect camps.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Ahl had a nice WHL season a couple years ago though and scored a bunch last year. Why write him off? He’s young

Haha lets try to define a "nice season". 48pts in 58gp as a 19yr old is a pretty bad/mediocre season for a legit NHL prospect imo.

And that was the high point for him since being drafted.

I bet he would be hard pressed to be able to make Belleville, let alone make in Ottawa. He's a total write off imo at this point.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Haha lets try to define a "nice season". 48pts in 58gp as a 19yr old is a pretty bad/mediocre season for a legit NHL prospect imo.

And that was the high point for him since being drafted.

I bet he would be hard pressed to be able to make Belleville, let alone make in Ottawa. He's a total write off imo at this point.
I dunno. 28 goals in 58 games in his first North American season coming over from Sweden? It’s not bad

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I dunno. 28 goals in 58 games in his first North American season coming over from Sweden? It’s not bad

It becomes less impressive when you consider his team. I counted 6 guys on that team who all scored more goals and points than Ahl. The Pats were an absolute juggernaut that season.

And imo he's done nothing since by way of growth from that season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It becomes less impressive when you consider his team. I counted 6 guys on that team who all scored more goals and points than Ahl. The Pats were an absolute juggernaut that season.

And imo he's done nothing since by way of growth from that season.
AHL was an average/mediocre CHL player, which is terrible for a draft +2 19 year old. He isn't, and hasn't been a legit NHL prospect for a while.

Reactions: Peptic Balcers

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Ahl had great production at 17 and 18YRs old in the Superelit, but his production in other leagues (WHL, SHL, Allsvenskan) has been mediocre at best.

Liked the gamble in the 4th round when it was made, but he's probably a bust.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
So I was just thinking what the team could roughly look like in 20-21 if certain things happened. The forward core could be deep.

Tkachuk-Duchene-Stone
Formenton-Brown-Batherson
Balcers-Tierney-Ryan
Chlapik-Pageau-White

Chabot-DeMelo (if he fixtures himself as TC72's Methot)/Whomever/(JBD?)
Lajoie-Ceci
Wolanin-Jaros

Gustavsson
Hogberg/Whomever

In this scenario I'd imagine Ceci stays because Orleans, Dzingel is moved for a pick, and Smith is moved/bought out.

The last few days a little bit of my passion has come back, which I'm pleased about. Still don't trust Dorion and Melnyk at all, but I'm still invested in the progress of these young players + Duchene and Stone who are obviously a joy to watch. At the very very least, I hope that Melnyk, should he remain owner, comes to realize that the less he appears in the public eye the better, because he doesn't have the temperament to speak often without something harmful coming out of his mouth.

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad