Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Finally got a Neil replacement. Celebrate time

I definitely do not see Tkachuk as a Neil replacement. Tkachuk is a big physical forward with offensive skills. Neil was never that type of player.

Currently we do not have a Neil replacement at forward, which would be a heavy hitter with some policeman skills who plays on the 3rd or 4th Line. Boro is more like Neil but plays D.

Reactions: aragorn

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
8. RW Drake Batherson (Game I & II)
Ever since he was drafted in 2017, Drake Batherson has been my favorite Sens prospect. He was somewhat quiet and unnoticeable, though not bad by any means, in the first game of this event. That being said, without other big names around, he completely redeemed himself in the second game; especially towards the end where he really showed off his game breaking ability. It doesn’t take this player much to score and I’m not sure that there’s currently a better dangler or a better shooter in the Sens system. The talent level here is through the roof and if it all pans out, this guy will be vintage power forward Bobby Ryan, thirty goals, sick hands and dangles included. It might take him some time to adjust and learn how to dominate in the pro game, but he’ll get there as neither size, skills or character are an issue. The only knock here would be that, just like his comparable, improving his skating ability, even just a touch, wouldn’t hurt.

9. RW Andrew Sturtz (Game I & II)
I sort of knew what to expect from the big names from previous viewings, so the two guys I was really looking forward to see were Luchuk and Sturtz. In the latter’s case, the anticipation was well worth it and left me hungry for more. I liked just about everything I saw from Andrew Sturtz. You’d think size would be an issue, but it’s not. He’s extremely short, but thick, competes relentlessly and through both games, regularly knocked down or won battles against much bigger opponents. He will aggravate the opposition and cause a lot of headache in front of their net. Very, very excited to see more from this player. If I had to compare, I’d say he has the stature and determination of a Brendan Gallagher with the skillset of a solid bottom-6er.

10. D Jonathan Aspirot (Game I & II)
A very sound defensive minded defenseman. I knew nothing about him coming in, but yet came out impressed, as someone who generally prefers puck moving defensemen to their stay-at-home counterparts. He was basically the #4 behind Wolanin, Jaros and Lajoie in the first game and the #2 behind Lajoie in the second. Troy Mann threw him out there regularly and he managed to calm things down and make the smart play almost every time. Physically punishing, but not reckless or even undisciplined about it. He was a noticeable and steady presence on the backend all weekend long. Given the non-existent expectations going in, this guy really left his mark on me.

11. C Logan Brown (Game I & II)
The talent level is obvious. The upside is huge. The single best thing that could happen to this organization would be Logan Brown panning out as the player he can be. Yet, every single time I watch him, I come out with the distasteful impression that there’s still something missing. And that he’s still raw in too many areas. Not as assertive as he could be, not as crisp or precise as he could be, not as engaged as he could be, etc. etc.

He wasn’t bad this weekend, not even close. He just wasn’t great at any point and seemed to be on cruise control from the very first shift. Is that cause for concern? Yes, if you look at it from the perspective that there’s a job up for grabs and that every showing counts; yet, your most highly-touted center prospect treated this one like a casual sunday afternoon pond game. No, if you believe this weekend was Logan Brown easing himself into game shape to really show himself off at the main camp.

In either case, it was a disappointing couple of outings for Brown, especially with talks of improved intensity and better commitment to skating and off-ice training this summer. From what I saw, right now, Colin White and Filip Chlapik are both way ahead of him. Brown absolutely needs time in the AHL, as this is not the guy you want to plug along in an NHL lineup. When he makes the jump to the big league, it should because he’s ready to dominate and consistently be the best player on the ice. That should be the expectation, because that’s the kind of talent he has. Nothing should be given to him on skill alone. Brown has to commit to other areas of his game and bring up his compete level by a few notches. We wish for Joe Thornton, expect Jason Spezza and yet, right now, he’s Martin Hanzal on a good day and Brian Boyle on a bad one.

12. D Brady Lyle (Game II)
Fantastic showing on sunday afternoon. Really, really good. Looks big and mobile on the ice with a surprisingly good shot and a sneaky offensive flair. At only 19 years old, this guy definitely has my attention.

13. LW Luka Burzan (Game I & II)
Dominant at the summer scrimmage. Much better and much more visible in the second game of this event without the top end talent around than in the first. If Parker Kelly was good enough to be signed by the organization, this guy deserves it too, as so far, he seems better in just about every aspect of the game.

14. W Kevin Macleod (Game I & II)
A pleasant surprise. There isn’t much of an offensive skillset there, but he’s a good, honest, hard-working defensive forward that excelled on the PK throughout the weekend.

Final part coming soon!

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
8. RW Drake Batherson (Game I & II)
Ever since he was drafted in 2017, Drake Batherson has been my favorite Sens prospect. He was somewhat quiet and unnoticeable, though not bad by any means, in the first game of this event. That being said, without other big names around, he completely redeemed himself in the second game; especially towards the end where he really showed off his game breaking ability. It doesn’t take this player much to score and I’m not sure that there’s currently a better dangler or a better shooter in the Sens system. The talent level here is through the roof and if it all pans out, this guy will be vintage power forward Bobby Ryan, thirty goals, sick hands and dangles included. It might take him some time to adjust and learn how to dominate in the pro game, but he’ll get there as neither size, skills or character are an issue. The only knock here would be that, just like his comparable, improving his skating ability, even just a touch, wouldn’t hurt.

9. RW Andrew Sturtz (Game I & II)
I sort of knew what to expect from the big names from previous viewings, so the two guys I was really looking forward to see were Luchuk and Sturtz. In the latter’s case, the anticipation was well worth it and left me hungry for more. I liked just about everything I saw from Andrew Sturtz. You’d think size would be an issue, but it’s not. He’s extremely short, but thick, competes relentlessly and through both games, regularly knocked down or won battles against much bigger opponents. He will aggravate the opposition and cause a lot of headache in front of their net. Very, very excited to see more from this player. If I had to compare, I’d say he has the stature and determination of a Brendan Gallagher with the skillset of a solid bottom-6er.

10. D Jonathan Aspirot (Game I & II)
A very sound defensive minded defenseman. I knew nothing about him coming in, but yet came out impressed, as someone who generally prefers puck moving defensemen to their stay-at-home counterparts. He was basically the #4 behind Wolanin, Jaros and Lajoie in the first game and the #2 behind Lajoie in the second. Troy Mann threw him out there regularly and he managed to calm things down and make the smart play almost every time. Physically punishing, but not reckless or even undisciplined about it. He was a noticeable and steady presence on the backend all weekend long. Given the non-existent expectations going in, this guy really left his mark on me.

11. C Logan Brown (Game I & II)
The talent level is obvious. The upside is huge. The single best thing that could happen to this organization would be Logan Brown panning out as the player he can be. Yet, every single time I watch him, I come out with the distasteful impression that there’s still something missing. And that he’s still raw in too many areas. Not as assertive as he could be, not as crisp or precise as he could be, not as engaged as he could be, etc. etc.

He wasn’t bad this weekend, not even close. He just wasn’t great at any point and seemed to be on cruise control from the very first shift. Is that cause for concern? Yes, if you look at it from the perspective that there’s a job up for grabs and that every showing counts; yet, your most highly-touted center prospect treated this one like a casual sunday afternoon pond game. No, if you believe this weekend was Logan Brown easing himself into game shape to really show himself off at the main camp.

In either case, it was a disappointing couple of outings for Brown, especially with talks of improved intensity and better commitment to skating and off-ice training this summer. From what I saw, right now, Colin White and Filip Chlapik are both way ahead of him. Brown absolutely needs time in the AHL, as this is not the guy you want to plug along in an NHL lineup. When he makes the jump to the big league, it should because he’s ready to dominate and consistently be the best player on the ice. That should be the expectation, because that’s the kind of talent he has. Nothing should be given to him on skill alone. Brown has to commit to other areas of his game and bring up his compete level by a few notches. We wish for Joe Thornton, expect Jason Spezza and yet, right now, he’s Martin Hanzal on a good day and Brian Boyle on a bad one.

12. D Brady Lyle (Game II)
Fantastic showing on sunday afternoon. Really, really good. Looks big and mobile on the ice with a surprisingly good shot and a sneaky offensive flair. At only 19 years old, this guy definitely has my attention.

13. LW Luka Burzan (Game I & II)
Dominant at the summer scrimmage. Much better and much more visible in the second game of this event without the top end talent around than in the first. If Parker Kelly was good enough to be signed by the organization, this guy deserves it too, as so far, he seems better in just about every aspect of the game.

A pleasant surprise. There isn’t much of an offensive skillset there, but he’s a good, honest, hard-working defensive forward that excelled on the PK throughout the weekend.

Final part coming soon!

Nice write up, with Gustafsson being a glaring omission on your top-14.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
GREAT POST - I could not agree with you more on all of those players you described. In the tournament thread I wrote almost the exact same thing about each of those guys too. I am wondering why you decided not to write about Brown & Batherson who IMO did not have a great tournament, however, there were things about those two that I saw as promising. While neither of those two guys have the blinding speed, tenacious & determined playing style, they get things done in other ways.

Brown like Spezza has excellent vision & puck handling skills & can find the open man in a crowded phone booth. He also has a sneaky shot & lurks around the offensive zone as a perimeter player looking for loose pucks & open players to get the puck too, I expect him to rack up a lot of assists as Spezza did. For a guy his size he is not physical at all just as Spezza was not with his size, he uses his skill offensively to make plays & rack up the pts. It's not my favourite kind of style but it works for him & as long as he can rack up the pts fans should get behind the guy. Batherson skates up & down the wing, nothing flashy about his game, he goes after loose pucks & is always looking to shoot & score, he isn't fancy or hard nosed but plays well defensively & is much more of an opportunistic kind of player who will take advantage of every opportunity. Again fans will like him when he is producing & may turn on him when he is not. They should both be very good NHL players but both need to work on consistency IMO. I'd be interested in your opinion on these two & others you have not yet talked about.

Hey thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed the write-up!

As much as I expected them to, Batherson & Brown didn't out-perform any of those ranked above them, hence why they ended up where they were.

Nice write up, with Gustafsson being a glaring omission on your top-14.

Gustafsson was not omitted, I'm not one to compare goalies to skaters, so I ranked all three goalies separately. That being said, he still wouldn't have cracked the top 14. He stopped 15 perimeter shots. There was almost nothing to go on from his performance except the fact that he got a shutout at the end of the day.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I really like the fact all of our top end prospects seem to be good puck possession guys,just need Alfie to come back and play keep away with all of them......Having an actual nhl forecheck ,and being able to possess the puck in the O zone is something this team has needed for years

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
15. W Boston Leier (Game II)
Leier was the oldest and most experienced player on the ice this weekend and it showed. He was composed, poised and made solid decisions with and without the puck throughout the game. He scored a nice goal on a great feed from Lajoie and by the looks of things should be a solid depth option for Belleville this season.

16. C/W Parker Kelly (Game I & II)
I thought he had a terrible first game. I couldn’t fault his compete level or hussle, but I kept noticing him for the unforced turnovers and terrible puck decisions. With that said, he was good in the second game. He’s certainly no Brady Tkachuk, but he did an admirable job on the first line when called upon to replace him. Striked me as the kind of player with whom, if nothing else, effort will never be questioned.

17. D Macoy Erkamps (Game II)
He didn’t look like a trainwreck, which is already much more than he did last year. He was always a good skater, but his defensive awareness and decision making were non-existent. Yet, he looked surprisingly good on sunday. Smart and composed, something I don’t ever recall seeing from him. He still had the odd glaring defensive lapse, but really, if sunday was any indication of things to come, then Belleville might have a decent project to work with this season.

18. C/LW Aaron Luchuk (Game I & II)
Aaron Luchuk was the biggest disappointment of the weekend for me. After watching him play in Windsor, I was extremely excited to see how he’d fare against men. Safe to say he wasn’t near the same player. His size was rarely an issue in juniors, yet, he looked over-matched in just about every battle this weekend. He couldn’t make or take a pass, fumbled or over-skated the puck, ran around all three zones with zero purpose, etc. He looked like a green player competing in a league above the one he’s used to… Which is exactly what he was. Luchuk is too good of a player and too big of a gamer for me to believe what he showed this weekend is any reflection of what he’ll be as a pro. But strictly based on this showing, he more than deserves his place down here.

19. D Charles-Édouard D'Astous (Game I & II): Mistakes galore. Not very good at all. Though sheltered in ice time, he was noticeable because he consistently took the worst decisions on the ice.

20. D Nicolas Mattinen & D Chase Stewart
Yeah, not much there.

21. F Jordan Stallard, F Ryan Scarfo & F Robert Lynch
Not much there either.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
The goalies:

1. Filip Gustafsson (Game I)
Felt like my grandmother could have been in net against Montreal and she probably would have had a shutout. Gustafsson looked rusty at the beginning of the game, making a couple of routine saves look awkward, but he quickly warmed up to the task and was obviously perfect through the evening. Really, not much to go on here, but overall, of the three goalies, he was the most technically sound and had a shutout, so he had to be placed at the top.

2. Jordan Hollett (Game II)
Solid outing. I thought he was the best goaltender at the summer camp and in the limited action he got here, he was again very good. I’ll be closely following his path this season.

3. Kevin Mandolese (Game II)
He had the worst stat line of all three goalies, but judging his performance solely on stats would be unfair. He came into the net cold when Toronto really started to apply pressure and push the pace. Of the three goalies, he’s the only one that was really challenged and I honestly liked most of what I saw. He made by far some of the best saves this weekend, but also allowed some of the weakest goals. He’s not as technical as Gustafsson or as aggressive as Hollett, but he looks very big and calm in nets. If I had to criticize one thing, it’d be that he’s on his knees way too soon and way too often and that cost him on a few occasions sunday. He’s definitely the rawer goalie in the Sens system right now, but he’s also the youngest, so there should be plenty of time for him to find and fine-tune his game.

Watching all three goaltenders play this weekend, I couldn’t help but think that for the first time since 2013 (Bishop, Lehner, Anderson), the future of the organization looks bright between the pipe (Gustafsson, Hogberg, Hollett, Mandolese, Daccord).

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think you mean Gregor Macleod. He impressed me. Smart defensive forward. I could see the Sens signing him for Belleville. I would also like to see more of Luka Burzan.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Sens on Corey Pronman's top 100 prospect rankings:

14. Brady Tkachuk, LW, Ottawa
Skating: 50
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 70
Hockey sense: 60
Tkachuk has one of the best physical games outside the NHL. He’s a strong 6-foot-3 forward who wins battles and bulldozes his way to the net as well as any teenager I’ve seen in the college ranks. His skill isn’t dynamic, but he has good hands, a good wrist shot and makes smart plays with the puck. He’s a very smart player, can distribute the puck well and doesn’t make many poor decisions. I saw the occasional high-end flash of vision from him, but he does make quick decisions and plays at a pro pace. His skating is solid, as well. I’ve seen him turn the corner on defenders numerous times, but he’s never going to wow you with his speed. Coaches will love him because he plays well in any situation or role.

47. Logan Brown, C, Ottawa
Skating: 45
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 60
Hockey sense: 55
Brown is a frustrating prospect because of his immense potential. He’s been up and down the last few years, but when he’s up he can look lights out. He’s a 6-foot-6 center with high-end skill. He looks to make plays and can be a driver on a line. He’s not super slow and skates decent for his massive frame. Brown does need to improve his pace though. He can struggle when the games get fast and particularly physical. He won’t give you 100 percent at times but can still win battles just due to how easily he boxes guys out. Staying healthy, improving his conditioning and working on being more consistent will be keys for him going forward.

62. Alex Formenton, LW, Ottawa
Skating: 65
Puck Skills: 55
Physical Game: 55
Hockey sense: 50
The name of the game with Formenton is speed. He can fly like very few players at the junior rank. Combine that with the fact he’s not a tiny player and Formenton can be a handful for defensemen to deal with when he’s barreling down the wing. I don’t think he’s ever going to be a dynamic skill guy in the NHL, but this season I did see Formenton trying to be more creative with the puck and create chances aside from just using his feet. He’s above-average with the puck, has skill and can make plays. His work ethic is also top-end, and with his speed he can be a fantastic forechecker and penalty killer.

67. Filip Chlapik, C, Ottawa
Physical Game: 50
Chlapik was quite impressive as a rookie pro, continuing an upward trend in his development. He’s a highly skilled playmaker. He can control the puck well and create offense through his skill and offensive instincts. Often, I would see him lead a rush, gain the zone and be the catalyst for the Belleville offense. He has some flaws that are keeping him from the NHL though. He’s not a great skater and has trouble turning the corner on pro defenders but he’s better in that area than where he was a few years ago. Defensively he needs to be more refined as well. His point totals don’t jump out at you, but Belleville was an underwhelming offensive team around him.

70. Drake Batherson, RW, Ottawa
Physical Game: 50
I love the Drake! He had the definition of a breakout season in the QMJHL, as a top player in the league and their leading playoffs scorer, on top of being a leading goal scorer at the world juniors. Usually excitement over a 19-year-old CHL player having their first big year is an unwise bet, but it’s different with Batherson. A late growth spurt has resulted in a pro frame, and when you combine that with very good puck skills, excellent hockey IQ and a decent shot, he’s a heck of a player. His feet have been his main weakness, but he’s shown progression in that area and gotten them up to roughly an average level.

Colin White was ranked top 113 (one of 13 alphabetically-listed honorable mentions, a group which includes Cirelli, Dahlen, and Mathieu Joseph).

Amongst goalies, he ranked Gustavsson 7th:

7. Filip Gustavsson, Ottawa
Gustavsson has been one of the top goalies in his age group for the last few years. He was the top goalie at the World Juniors and he was decent at the pro level this season. He’s a big, smart goalie with good athleticism for his size. He looks like a pro in the net with his size, the way he moves, and very structured game. Gustavsson isn’t an incredibly dynamic player, but he consistently makes tough stops without letting easy ones get through due to very good hockey sense.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
It’s hard to take somebody seriously if they don’t have colon white or Anthony cirelli as a top 100 prospect

Eh, I'm sure there are a ton of people who you respect who wouldn't have either guy top 100. Pronman just happens to make his list public, and Pronman also values high-end upside more than most scouts tend to (he has no truck for the "safe pick"). White is a very solid player but I don't think many people see him as a potential offensive leader.

Pronman has always held pretty firm in his opinion on White, saying that he sees him as a middle 6er who is more likely to be 3rd line than 2nd line. Thus far, White hasn't shown too much to disprove that. I still think he could be a solid top 6er but Pronman seems to be projecting him as a 15-25-40 guy at the NHL level which is not outlandish.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Eh, I'm sure there are a ton of people who you respect who wouldn't have either guy top 100. Pronman just happens to make his list public, and Pronman also values high-end upside more than most scouts tend to (he has no truck for the "safe pick"). White is a very solid player but I don't think many people see him as a potential offensive leader.

Pronman has always held pretty firm in his opinion on White, saying that he sees him as a middle 6er who is more likely to be 3rd line than 2nd line. Thus far, White hasn't shown too much to disprove that. I still think he could be a solid top 6er but Pronman seems to be projecting him as a 15-25-40 guy at the NHL level which is not outlandish.
Yep ,pretty fair ...White looks to be just a good solid nhl player in the making...

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017

If that’s his projection than there are not 100 better players with more upside in the whole nhl.

Cirelli is playing and succeeding in the nhl. There’s not 100 prospects on his list who will even make the nhl

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Where's Zadina in that top 100, out of curiosity?

6th.

Here are the top 10 guys from the last draft:

1 - Dahlin
2 - Svechnikov
6 - Zadina
7 - Hughes
8 - Kotkaniemi
13 - Wahlstrom
14 - Tkachuk
17 - Kravtsov
18 - Kupari

Pretty sure he had Tkachuk 7th before the draft, too.

Reactions: DrEasy

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Zadina is overrated. So is Kotkaniemi.

Im sure he has the tools to adapt, but when I was watching him with Halifax he had a signature move. He'd go down the right wing with speed and cut to the middle between the blueline and the top of the circle and snipe. It looked amazing in junior, but always left me wondering "if this defenseman had nhl level gap contol, would this be possible so many times?"

That being said, I like Zadina a lot (great shot, hands) but I think it's crazy thats he's currently the 6th best prospect

Reactions: PuckLife

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Im sure he has the tools to adapt, but when I was watching him with Halifax he had a signature move. He'd go down the right wing with speed and cut to the middle between the blueline and the top of the circle and snipe. It looked amazing in junior, but always left me wondering "if this defenseman had nhl level gap contol, would this be possible so many times?"

That being said, I like Zadina a lot (great shot, hands) but I think it's crazy thats he's currently the 6th best prospect

Zadina has gotten lit up a few times in the rookie tournament, had to leave a game for a bit. He has the skills to adjust but he is going to have to leave some elements of his game behind.

Reactions: PuckLife

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Sounds like a current Senator in his draft year -MSP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad