Series Talk: Stanley Cup Playoffs 2024

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
McDavid quite clearly failed in the defensive zone on the winning goal.
That wasn’t the point. I already said he failed there. My point was that the focus shouldn’t be on that. It should be on the fact that the best player on the league’s best power play couldn’t get it done in five tries. I didn’t watch the game but from what I could tell they just kept trying that seam pass to Draisaitl and the Canucks had the lane blocked, they made ZERO adjustments.

If McDavid had scored just once on the power play, we wouldn’t be talking about a missed coverage in the final minute of play.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
All timer of a typo. Sounds like some sort of fundamentalist cult. Everyone I’ve ever met from the maritimes is fantastic
Lots of open theists on this coast lol.

Edit: I'm.actually sitting.outside suntanning a bit on the phone, hard to see the screen. Beautiful weather down here all week

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
That wasn’t the point. I already said he failed there. My point was that the focus shouldn’t be on that. It should be on the fact that the best player on the league’s best power play couldn’t get it done in five tries. I didn’t watch the game but from what I could tell they just kept trying that seam pass to Draisaitl and the Canucks had the lane blocked, they made ZERO adjustments.

If McDavid had scored just once on the power play, we wouldn’t be talking about a missed coverage in the final minute of play.
Firing Pinocchio when their underlying numbers were perfectly fine and they were just having bad puck luck was a mistake. He adjusted better than Knob and this is the worst they’ve looked defensively in the playoffs in a couple of years. McDavid looks exhausted and they’ve all but blown their best opportunity to at least make the SCF

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Firing Pinocchio when their underlying numbers were perfectly fine and they were just having bad puck luck was a mistake. He adjusted better than Knob and this is the worst they’ve looked defensively in the playoffs in a couple of years. McDavid looks exhausted and they’ve all but blown their best opportunity to at least make the SCF
Not just bad luck, so many coaches get the axe when the real problem is usually “The goalie is sucking donkey balls.”

I’m honestly shocked they couldn’t make adjustments to that power play. So many weapons and they just kept trying to force feed it to Draisaitl. Seriously!?

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Not just bad luck, so many coaches get the axe when the real problem is usually “The goalie is sucking donkey balls.”

I’m honestly shocked they couldn’t make adjustments to that power play. So many weapons and they just kept trying to force feed it to Draisaitl. Seriously!?
To be fair, this team LOVES to do the same thing with force feeding Mack on the PP but yes it is a problem that you think they would’ve tried something different after going 0-3 with no real good looks

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
They were gifted a route to the WCF at least. If they can't make it that far they need to make some serious changes

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
he's a ventriloquist not a puppet - OK?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Friedman is saying that the Canes are thinking about buying out Kotkaniemi. Since he's only 23, they'd have to pay him only 1/3rd of the contract and save 20M.

He'd stay on the books for 12 years though.

His offer sheet was such a fiasco that we may never see another one again.

Last edited:
Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Friedman is saying that the Canes are thinking about buying out Kotkaniemi. He'd stay on the books for 12 years though.

I still have no idea why they did that. There was red flags everywhere with that deal.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Friedman is saying that the Canes are thinking about buying out Kotkaniemi. He'd stay on the books for 12 years though.

He's an ideal third liner. If he's making Wood money or less. A rich man's Kivirantanen.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I still have no idea why they did that. There was red flags everywhere with that deal.
It was a risky bet, but one that could've played out well. And the offer sheet was actually brilliantly done, because usually offer sheets are not successful at all.

I guess the lesson here is: don't take a swing like that if it's not a sure thing, (which Kotkaniemi wasn't) as a contender. If a team on a rebuild does that, it's like oh well, shit happens.

There were times where he looked like a capable future #2C. This year, he was barely 3rd line grade. And a contending team should not take that kind of a chance, bad contracts are a killer.

Reactions: sethro109

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
It was a risky bet, but one that could've played out well. And the offer sheet was actually brilliantly done, because usually offer sheets are not successful at all.

I guess the lesson here is: don't take a swing like that if it's not a sure thing, which Kotkaniemi wasn't. There were times where he looked like a capable future #2C. This year, he was barely 3rd line grade. And a contending team should not take that kind of a chance, bad contracts are a killer.
It really didn't make sense to make that big of a gamble. I felt like the signs for Kotkaniemi were very apparent at the time. And the chance of him becoming a 2C was extremely thin.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He's an ideal third liner. If he's making Wood money or less. A rich man's Kivirantanen.
If that was the case they'd not be thinking about buying him out. He was playing 4th line minutes in the playoffs and has been terrible all year except for the first 2 months where he got all his points.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I hate it because he's exactly what they needed
He's what they needed like 3 years ago. Not sure if they will be able to get together a roster as good as in the past years. Depends on how their young prospects hit and how Treliving navigates the Marner deal.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
To be fair, this team LOVES to do the same thing with force feeding Mack on the PP but yes it is a problem that you think they would’ve tried something different after going 0-3 with no real good looks
To be fair I have not seen them do it much in this series. If anything they’re trying a little too hard to force it into the slot area for a one-timer (but hey it worked).

The frustrating thing was/is the really dumb turnovers that happened high in the zone that have led to at least two SHGs. They were a lot better about working it down low last game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad