Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Which is?

The only thing I know based on what happened so far (many players over 28-30 y/o got moved), is that the team is going in a significant youth movement (which is perfect for Melnyk as it is cheap)... but as long as Karlsson, Stone and Duchene are not extended, I have no idea what the plan is. A bunch of young players need a core of solid veterans to guide them.

Also, since Colorado has their 1st next draft, it makes sense for Dorion to have the desire to be competitive, but where are the moves to that effect? We are 17th July and I don't see anything.

Is the plan going with Logan Brown as the #2 C? Chabot as the #1 or #2 D-man? JBD as the #2 LD? Ceci as the #1 RD? Tkachuk as the #1 LW?

I mean, I believe in those guys but that's again asking way too much and putting them in a position to fail.

I'm actually wondering, since nothing is happening, that something big may be brewing (sale please)...

A NHL team will give him a ELC (unless those potential off-ice issues are huge?)

He didn't have a spectacular college career but he broke out in a huge way this year.

Summers earned CCM/AHCA All-American honors for 2017-18 (top 24 college hockey players)
He was on the First-Team ECAC Hockey All-Star and a finalist for the league's Best Defensive Defenseman award
He was also named to the ECAC Hockey Championship All-Tournament team

He was a top player in the NCAA last year. Sucks to lose a prospect for nothing. It's like another sort of Wikstrand situation.

The plan is there really is no plan otjer than trying to dump Karlsson

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Not much talk about it among fans as far as I've seen, but chances are that Kelly Summers will become an UFA on august 15th and I honestly don't know why.

Pros: Big RHD, decent shot, great passer, tremendous PP quarterback
Cons: Lacks explosiveness, decent speed, but will certainly need to work on that aspect of his game to have an impact at the next level

Here are some highlights of his 2017-2018 NCAA season for those of you that aren't too familiar with him.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Not much talk about it among fans as far as I've seen, but chances are that Kelly Summers will become an UFA on august 15th and I honestly don't know why.

Cons: Lacks explosiveness, decent speed, but will certainly need to work on that aspect of his game to have an impact at the next level

Here are some highlights of his 2017-2018 NCAA season for those of you that aren't too familiar with him.

Someone asked the Sens Prospects guy on Twitter if there were off-ice issues with him and he replied "Less issues, more concerns, but there are rumours along those lines."

Food for thought I guess.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The plan is there really is no plan otjer than trying to dump Karlsson

I can't realistically see it as the "plan". I mean, maybe the relation is fractured between EK and Melnyk or maybe Karlsson wants too much money for a market that can't afford him, but I don't see what "dumping" Karlsson accomplishes. I think they might be looking at trading him more because they have no choice.

Reactions: Cosmix

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I can't realistically see it as the "plan". I mean, maybe the relation is fractured between EK and Melnyk or maybe Karlsson wants too much money for a market that can't afford him, but I don't see what "dumping" Karlsson accomplishes. I think they might be looking at trading him more because they have no choice.

Spin it with whatever words you want to choose but the end result will be the same. Trading Karlsson and getting a crap return and on top of that knowing that's the plan and choosing Tkachuk instead of just tanking in 2019.

Its not like Dorion didn't know he was going to deal Karlsson at the draft. He knew and still chose to pick. Defining moment in Dorion career will be dealing Karlsson and choosing to use the 2018 first.

Either way he is probably sunk once a real owner takes over inevitably at some point

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Spin it with whatever words you want to choose but the end result will be the same. Trading Karlsson and getting a crap return and on top of that knowing that's the plan and choosing Tkachuk instead of just tanking in 2019.

Its not like Dorion didn't know he was going to deal Karlsson at the draft. He knew and still chose to pick. Defining moment in Dorion career will be dealing Karlsson and choosing to use the 2018 first.

Either way he is probably sunk once a real owner takes over inevitably at some point

I am not entirely certain that Dorion knew he was trading Karlsson at the draft.
I am not sure if they were possibly going to give the 4th to Colorado, but thought so highly of Tkachuk that they took him.
I am not sure why he shipped Hoffman out so fast and at so low a value if he did not think it would help with keeping Karlsson
I am also not entirely sure that Dorion really knows what he is doing.
I am pretty sure the Sens are going to be close to as bad with EK and worse without him; but we do not have far to fall to the bottom.

Peptic Balcers

May 1, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

I remember reading an article in The Athletic about Tychonick before the draft. He was asked about the interview process and the strategy going into them. He said "It's their job to like me". I though that was the coolest answer an 18 year old could give. I immediately looked to see where this kid was projected, and I wasn't too upset that he was slotted as a mid 2nd because I didn't think that they'd ever draft a player with this much personality anyway. I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm excited for him to make the show, for the soundbites if nothing else.

'It's their job to like me': Meet Jonny Tychonick, the 2018...

(that's the article that I mentioned)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Last thing we need - more fights in the wives room. SMH.

I get a bit of a different impression with that article. Sounds like Brady isn't that much into the extra curriculars. He just wants to play, but will be feisty to get a bit of space. Kinda feels like the the more 'get down to business' side of things, while bit brother is the pest.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Thanks. He appears to have good offensive skills. I am surprised they did not sign him. If another team signs him and he turns out to be an NHL player someday, then the GM will have another negative notch in his assessment.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That article was a good read, and included a snippet about the Tkachuk boys fighting each other in the wives room one night while playing mini sticks, not the wives fighting each other ;)

One of the more interesting bits was that Logan Brown was one his homeboys growing up. That might be a pretty awesome pairing very soon.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
That article was a good read, and included a snippet about the Tkachuk boys fighting each other in the wives room one night while playing mini sticks, not the wives fighting each other ;)

One of the more interesting bits was that Logan Brown was one his homeboys growing up. That might be a pretty awesome pairing very soon.
At least it could motivate them to stick around ottawa. With white as well

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

It's also definitely something the NHL should be looking at. St. Louis became a nice little hothouse for talent by having ex-NHLers stay in the area and focusing on grassroots hockey and getting involved with kids coaching.

Imagine in the next 10-20 years, having a bunch of retired NHLers in places like Tampa, Florida, and California working with local hockey associations and harnessing some of the athletic talent in those states. While we've already seen a trickle of kids from Cali, adding a really solid foundation with legit NHL talent would cause an explosion in the number of kids able to play pro.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I doubt the relationship is fractured. The team owner seldom meets with the players.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

This has probably been posted before, but from his comparables and his stint last season I really see him as a #4 in the future.

Reactions: topshelf15
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad