Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Nice one. That might be the best example. Although again: those guys were drafted in 1994, 2004, and 2013. A goalie every decade, essentially. And only 2/3 were drafted by Nashville.
Best example I could think of tbh. Pretty nuts that the Preds essentially have 20 or more years of solid goaltending.

Maybe Anaheim? Not elite goalies but all of them performed well while they were playing for the Ducks.

Giguerre
Hiller
Andersen
and now Gibson

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Wouldn't it be great if one of these goalies Ottawa has in the pipeline would work out for them for the next decade. IMO they are still too young, two are in junior, one is in the NCAA, one is in Belleville & the one with the most potential is in between Belleville & the ECHL. I was hoping Hogberg would be a much better version of Lehner but he's been okay in the AHL at best so far in the two yrs since he's come to NA. PD needs to find a #1 to take over from Anderson sooner rather than later & a backup to replace Condon, if he can't find his game again.

1. Gustavsson - most potential but still young & started in the ECHL
2. Hogberg - has been okay at best
3. Daccord - this guy is playing really well this yr, could be a dark horse
4. Mandolese - this guy may have some potential too
5. Hollett - this guy may have been usurped by a young goalie

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
TSN has a report called Core four Under 24 - What we got wrong. Ottawa was 23rd on their list with these four players last yr. Interesting that Brown made that list last yr.

https://www.tsn.ca/core-4-under-24-what-we-got-wrong-in-2017-1.1209103

23. Ottawa Senators
Thomas Chabot LD
Logan Brown C
Colin White C
Cody Ceci RD

I bet this yr they move up a few places & I'm going to guess that Chabot, Tkachuk, White & Lajoie make the list. It looks like Brown was projected to be good last yr & I would project that Brown, Batherson & Norris could also be projected for the next one & maybe Jaros or JBD. Potentially 8 good young players. :thumbu:

Reactions: Cosmix

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
For what it's worth, I'm really high on Mandolese. He's another big guy, 6'4", but with a raw athleticism that's not usually seen in goalies his size.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Can you name an NHL team that consistently produces a high number of quality goaltenders though? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Most are happy to luck into one every 5+ years or so, and it usually takes them 3-5 years to even see them at the NHL level. The only team off the top of my head who had too many internally drafted+developed goalies on their team recently was Pittsburgh with Fleury and Murray, and those 2 were drafted 9 year apart.

I don't think Ottawa is any worse at developing goalies than most, goalies are just weird and no one can adequately predict what they're going to amount to when they're 18-20. That's why you don't see goalies drafted in the 1st round anymore, and rarely even in the 2nd. Also why we shouldn't concern ourselves (yet) over Gustavsson's play of late, of if Daccord struggles whenever he turns pro.

Washington has been pretty good since 2006 considering they usually have late picks/end up trading a lot of them for help at the deadline.
2006 - Semyon Varlamov, Michal Neuvirth
2008 - Braden Holtby
2010 - Philipp Grubauer
2015 - Ilya Samsonov (remains to be seen, but has potential)

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Like I said "Our AHL team will ruin the development of Joey when he comes over too."

Meaning these prospects are usually highly touted and have a decent #s before they come to our AHL team and that our system eventually destroys them, their confidence and eventually their career.

This team can draft goalies who do well in other leagues but when they get to our Pro system, they crumble. We haven't drafted and developed a proper NHL goalie since Elliot and Emery days, or Lehner if you really want to go there. We are always looking for outside help for goalies, Anderson, Bishop, Condon etc

Since Lehner graduated.

Hogberg SHL GP 33, GAA 1.89, SV .932
Hogberg AHL GP 21, GAA 3.44, SV .893

Dreidger WHL GP 50, GAA 2.64, SV .918
Dreidger AHL GP 96, GAA 3.09, SV .906

OConnor H-East GP 35, GAA 3.10, SV .912
OConnor AHL GP 73, GAA 3.28, SV .895

To a Lesser extent

Gustavsson SHL GP 22, GAA 2.07, SV .918
Gustavsson AHL GP 14, GAA 3.76, SV .892

So why is it we can draft them and they do well in their leagues and when they try to make the next step they falter? I get giving some blame to the player for their quality of play and development in the pros, but when its a constant goalie prospect one after another then you have to look at the organizations philosophy into developing its goalies.

Yes we got a new AHL crew and all, and yes they will need time to implement their systems, but even with new personnel and players, the AHL team is giving up record breaking shots just like their parent NHL team, sloppy defensive play, barely maintaining any pressure in other team's zones (0 shots in 1 period last week), our goalies are under constant pressure, tiring them out quicker, losing their confidence and eventually busting in our system.

Lots of good info here, but at the end of it all it reads to me as though it’s more likely that we just haven’t drafted a good enough goalie.

I’m not sure we can look at previous stats from other leagues and deduce that these guys were better, but became worse when they played for our AHL team because the were ruined by the coaching staff.

I would prefer to assume that drafting good goalies is difficult at best, and we haven’t been good at it, nor do we seem to feel comfortable spending high draft picks on them.

If it is indeed a coaching issue, hopefully we’ll see a drastic change in our goaltending fortunes with the arrival of Mann and team.

Reactions: aragorn

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
TSN has a report called Core four Under 24 - What we got wrong. Ottawa was 23rd on their list with these four players last yr. Interesting that Brown made that list last yr.

https://www.tsn.ca/core-4-under-24-what-we-got-wrong-in-2017-1.1209103

23. Ottawa Senators
Thomas Chabot LD
Logan Brown C
Colin White C
Cody Ceci RD

I bet this yr they move up a few places & I'm going to guess that Chabot, Tkachuk, White & Lajoie make the list. It looks like Brown was projected to be good last yr & I would project that Brown, Batherson & Norris could also be projected for the next one & maybe Jaros or JBD. Potentially 8 good young players. :thumbu:

List should read:

Chabot
White
Tkachuk
Batherson

but :huh::sarcasm:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
If it is indeed a coaching issue, hopefully we’ll see a drastic change in our goaltending fortunes with the arrival of Mann and team.

Off to a terrible start. Doesn't help that management has done nothing to improve our defensive depth in the organization up until this past draft.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
So TSN's under 24 list for the Sens is:

1. Thomas Chabot
2. Brady Tkachuk
3. Maxime Lajoie
4. Drake Batherson
5. Alex Formenton
6. Jacob Bernard-Docker
7. Josh Norris
8. Colin White
9. Jonny Tychonick
10. Filip Gustavsson

My quick comments:
- No Logan Brown is interesting.
- Colin White is far too low on this list IMO
- Other notable exclusions: Jaros, Balcers, Chlapik.

https://www.tsn.ca/core-4-plus-more-examining-u-24-players-on-canada-s-teams-1.1209063

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
9Da7Xy.jpg

No wonder they have White at 8 .. idiots

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Off to a terrible start. Doesn't help that management has done nothing to improve our defensive depth in the organization up until this past draft.

So they have made moves to address defensive depth in this last draft? So not off to a terrible start?

I don't really understand what you're getting at here, are you mixing previous years with the start of a rebuild?

Are you saying that we should have drafted more D in years previous, which was terrible, but now we have and that's, not terrible?

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
List should read:

Chabot
White
Tkachuk
Batherson

but :huh::sarcasm:

I assume that Batherson is there as they are projecting that he will be a star player, they had Brown on the list last yr I assume for the same reason. It's a little difficult to assess, is a player better because he is already playing in the NHL like Lajoie or is a player not playing in the NHL but has star potential better? Lots of players have gone into a draft for example with the experts thinking they were going to be stars that ended as busts so how significant are projections compared to someone already playing?

Who knows, there are so many variables that can go into these things but they are fun. The great news is that Ottawa has a lot of very good young players on their roster & in their organization. If for example, Balcers never makes it out of the AHL but a player like Paul ends up in a 4th line role in the NHL, who should be rated higher? I think after the first two it's a toss up, but like most I have high hopes for Batherson, Norris & Brown. Not much difference between Lajoie & Wolanin IMO & have we forgotten about Ceci, Tierny & Harpur, also 24 or under & playing in the NHL.

1. Chabot
2. Tkachuk
3. Brown
4. Batherson
5. White
6. Norris
7. JBD
8. Chlapik
9. Lajoie
10. Gustavsson
11. Wolanin
12. Ceci
13. Formenton
14. Tierny
15. Jaros
16. Harpur
17. Balcers
18. Paul
19. Tychonik
20. Tambellini, Hogberg, Daccord, Kelly, Gagne, Luchuk, Nurmi ...

Reactions: DrEasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad