Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It's not just Brown's injuries that have lowered his stock, it's his lack of effort level.

I remember how much his work ethic improved from the first half to the second half of his draft year. Kid was dominant in the latter half of the year when he started moving his feet and engaging consistently. Was a big reason why I had him so high on my list. Looked like a huge #1 center in the making.

After he was drafted he started slacking again and his play stagnated as a result. If he gets it through his head that he won't be successful unless he gives 100%, he could become a star. I'd give him 1-2YRs in Belleville to figure that out.
He doesn't need 2 yrs in Belleville IMO, he needs a winger like Brendan Lemieux & Ottawa has one in Tkachuk to go into the dirty areas & corners & dig pucks out for him. Brown doesn't have that tenacity we want, but Tklachuk does & if you play him with the right wingers that will complement what he lacks he can be an effective difference maker. Brown needs a player like Tkachuk or Formenton to a lesser degree on the left side & a goal scorer on the right side like Stone or Batherson IMO & he can get them the puck.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He doesn't need 2 yrs in Belleville IMO, he needs a winger like Brendan Lemieux & Ottawa has one in Tkachuk to go into the dirty areas & corners & dig pucks out for him. Brown doesn't have that tenacity we want, but Tklachuk does & if you play him with the right wingers that will complement what he lacks he can be an effective difference maker. Brown needs a player like Tkachuk or Formenton to a lesser degree on the left side & a goal scorer on the right side like Stone or Batherson IMO & he can get them the puck.

Looking back, playing beside Lemieux was a big reason why his effort level improved. Hard to play lazy when your teammate is going 110% all the time.

Tkachuk could be the same kind of motivating force for Brown. Same goes for Formenton with his speed and tenacity.

Reactions: derriko and aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Looking back, playing beside Lemieux was a big reason why his effort level improved. Hard to play lazy when your teammate is going 110% all the time.

Tkachuk could be the same kind of motivating force for Brown. Same goes for Formenton with his speed and tenacity.

I would still like to see more physical aggressive play from Brown so that he uses his big body mass to separate people from the puck, plus more aggressive play to get the puck. Perhaps he will develop that skill playing against AHL level competition (men) which he did not have to do in junior (boys). It seems that he is progressing slowly each year and this next year in the AHL will aid his development to the next level. He needs to develop into a man with more mature physical abilities. If he does, the Senators could have a number 1 center with great size and physical dominance.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Would love to get a player like Brendan Lemieux, he would definitely increase the intensity level of this team along with Tkachuk.

Reactions: Bileur

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Flatttering article on Norris.. Top line C potential? lofty imo.
https://thehockeywriters.com/ottawa-senators-prospect-josh-norris/

Not the best written article I've ever seen but it's nice to see that some people are really high on Norris. I like how he seems to figure out every level he's been through and get much better in his second year.

Don't like the Couture comparison though. Norris is way more physically dominant whereas Couture is all about the smarts. From what I've seen Norris compares more to Ryan Kesler (in style), minus the dooshiness.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Is Norris going to WJC?
Who else we got? Brady is obviously no-go. Forms for Canada? Was JBD invited?

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Is Norris going to WJC?
Who else we got? Brady is obviously no-go. Forms for Canada? Was JBD invited?
Norris will go almost certainly. Forms is as certain for Canada.. Not sure about JBD. I could not find any news on WJC invites other than the showcase this summer. I am sure JBD is going to get consideration.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Just another melnyk/dorion shill.
giphy.gif

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Norris will go almost certainly. Forms is as certain for Canada.. Not sure about JBD. I could not find any news on WJC invites other than the showcase this summer. I am sure JBD is going to get consideration.

JBD was at the summer camp and supposedly did quite well.

I could see Tkachuk going if we are out of it by then... it's only like, 6 games and I think it would still be a good tournament for him to play in.

My list, in order of likelihood:
Probably:
- Formenton (CAN)
- Norris (USA)
Possibly:
- Tkachuk (USA)
- JBD (CAN)
Doubtfully:
- Gruden (USA)
- Tychonick (CAN)
Eligible but no chance:
- Mandolese (CAN)
- Crookshank (CAN)
- Loheit (USA)
- Hollett (CAN)

PS, Hollett is barely holding onto his starters job. 17 year old Dane Giant Mads Sogaard has had a great start to his OHL career and has outperformed Hollett in every measurable category thus far.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
There's no way Tkachuk is going. He has nothing to gain playing with kids. He's an NHLer now.

Also, Formenton should be a lock. He made the team last year and was pretty solid, why wouldn't he this year?

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't like JBD's chances given Team Canada's stacked right side this year:

Bouchard
Dobson
Mitchell

...should all be locks, then you have:

Brook
JBD
Addison
Woo

Could steal a bottom pairing/7th D spot, but I think he probably sits this one out and becomes one of Canada's best D at next year's WJC.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
There's no way Tkachuk is going. He has nothing to gain playing with kids. He's an NHLer now.

Also, Formenton should be a lock. He made the team last year and was pretty solid, why wouldn't he this year?

Yeah that probably is a catch-all type thing - he could get injured, who knows.

As for Tkachuk, it is a long season. I hope and think the team is keeping their mind open. No reason to force your own hand before you need to.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
People were laughing when I said he has top 6 C potential this summer. Looks like a solid bet to at least be a 2C. Tierney+Norris+Balcers are all guys we should be excited about.
from the Karlsson trade... Watching Chabot who is just blowing everyone away with how good he's playing, Tkachuk with just how much he is bringing to the team already, White's progression, Lajoie's emergence, the 3 guys from the San Jose trade, Batherson, Wolanin, Chlapik, Brown and even Paul showing he can be a good bottom 6er.. Sens prospects/young players are in good shape.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It will be interesting to see who does end up playing centre for the Sens although we are probably a number of yrs away from ever finding out. All these guys can & have played centre before but IMO Batherson & Chlapik could end up on the wing in the NHL on a full time basis & I think Pageau, Tierny & maybe Duchene eventually get moved. That would leave Brown, White, Norris & Paul as centres, not bad at all.

Duchene
Brown
Norris
White
Chlapik
Tierny
Batherson
Paul
Pageau

Reactions: Icelevel

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If Brown doesn't have the awareness for Center, any thoughts of moving him to LW? Could still take face offs, I like the offense down low and calmness in tight situations - could he move to LW?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
If Brown doesn't have the awareness for Center, any thoughts of moving him to LW? Could still take face offs, I like the offense down low and calmness in tight situations - could he move to LW?

Awareness? Like, of current events?

Brown's skillset is so well-suited to center ice. His defensive effort and faceoff ability will never be elite but both can be worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad