Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Last thread hit 1000 posts, continue here:

Some posts from the last thread...

Norris pops the water bottle on a short handed breakaway for his 2nd tonight

JBD with the GWG in OT against the Wisconsin Badgers.

Formenton scored an empty netter in his London return. Also this:

I can't answer this directly, but the little things are what Norris has received the bulk of his praise for. This is a good run-down on Norris' game - it looks at several different statistical analyses in an easy-to-follow way:
On Josh Norris and ceiling projections

I still think a 30-35 point floor and 45-55 point ceiling with good physicality, fundamentals, and systems play is a reasonable expectation... his start gives me more faith in him hitting that ceiling, but I'm not ready to expand the upper limits just yet.

Also, I'm super tempted to get AHL Live, too. Great deal and it would make it so easy to check out prospects around the league.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
That assessment of Norris was from August based on last year’s play I imagine. If he keeps up what he’s doing this season so far, his scouting reports may need some white-out.

Definitely a guy worth following :)

Reactions: Burrowsaurus

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Nice article on Norris from the Michigan Daily: Norris a lone constant for Michigan in rollercoaster series

“He was our best player last night by far,” said Michigan coach Mel Pearson Saturday night. “I thought he was, tonight, a man. A man amongst boys. You can see he’s a difference maker. You don’t have to be a hockey fan to come to this game and ask someone, ‘Well, who stood out?’ I mean, they’re gonna say Josh Norris.”
Norris flashed his ability all across the ice in both games, scoring the first goal of the game each night, as well as tallying four points on the weekend.

This is some pretty high praise, considering Michigan has Quinn Hughes.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
http://senators.nhl.com/v2/ext/Prospect Update_110518.pdf

Ryan Kuffner at eliteprospects.com
Wonder if the Sens try to sign him after the school year. He attended dev camp this year.

Ryan Kuffner and Max Veronneau are both Ottawa boys who play for Princeton. Veronneau is the better prospect but getting either one would be great. Getting both would be awesome.

I'll be impressed and actually excited if he maintains this level of play the entire season and in WJC too.

Just FYI, if Norris maintains this pace he will have the 3rd best NCAA U20 offensive season in the last 20 years (behind Eichel and Connor, and quite a bit ahead of Parise, Cammalleri, Vanek, Boeser, Heatley, Stepan, Gaudreau, Kessel, etc). Obviously a lot of those guys only played college until they were 19, but still... Norris won't maintain these numbers.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Is this the first pair of twins in franchise history?

upload_2018-11-6_13-57-45.png

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just FYI, if Norris maintains this pace he will have the 3rd best NCAA U20 offensive season in the last 20 years (behind Eichel and Connor, and quite a bit ahead of Parise, Cammalleri, Vanek, Boeser, Heatley, Stepan, Gaudreau, Kessel, etc). Obviously a lot of those guys only played college until they were 19, but still... Norris won't maintain these numbers.

Yeah he definitely won't maintain his 1.714 PPG over a full season.

Frankly even if he slows down and ends up at or slightly above a PPG by the end of the season I'd consider that a successful year for him.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
At first I was hoping for point a game production from Norris, I am cautiously revising my expectations based on his play. I think he can get near 50 points, which would be a significant accomplishment. Anything above 50 points would make him an A Level prospect in my humble opinion. And with that kind of production, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in an Ottawa Senators uniform sooner rather than later.

We need one of our young center prospects to pan out. Logan Brown may be talented, but his development curve has been erratic with conditioning and injury issues. I am getting a little worried about him reaching his potential.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
At first I was hoping for point a game production from Norris, I am cautiously revising my expectations based on his play. I think he can get near 50 points, which would be a significant accomplishment. Anything above 50 points would make him an A Level prospect in my humble opinion. And with that kind of production, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in an Ottawa Senators uniform sooner rather than later.

We need one of our young center prospects to pan out. Logan Brown may be talented, but his development curve has been erratic with conditioning and injury issues. I am getting a little worried about him reaching his potential.

It's a battle between Chlapik and Brown imo. We'll see who pans out. Hopefully both :naughty:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Right now Brown is the only #1C potential prospect we have imo and Brown will have to advance to get to that level. Chlapik , White, Norris... are not 1C material. They don't grow on trees. Not having a 2019 1st hurts looking at where we are likely headed to finish. No knock on taking Tkachuk.. I think he will be and is already becoming a very important player. Starting with giving up that pick , and then deciding we really aren't close and going for a cost cutting rebuild is loonie tunes.

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I do think that Brown will be a #1 centre for the Sens within the next two yrs. Although he has had some injury issues I don't think that tales away from his abilities to make plays. He's huge although soft, he's skilled although not quite determined enough & he has a high hockey IQ & is an excellent playmaker although he needs good wingers to help him. IF they put Brown in the middle of two very good wingers with one being very aggressive who can dig pucks out of the corners & along the boards for him & the other being a pure goal scorer than I think Brown can get him the puck & they would compliment his skills.

Looking at the young guys on this team I would put either Tkachuk or Formenton or maybe even Paul on his left wing & Stone, Ryan or Batherson on his right side. Brown isn't aggressive enough to dig pucks out of the corners or along the boards & needs a winger to that for him & Tkachuk, Formenton or Paul could all do that. While Brown has a decent shot & should score some goals himself he is much more of a playmaker & passer & therefore needs someone who can score to finish plays for him & Stone, Ryan & Batherson should all be able to do that for him. These three lines all work for me in future regarding Brown.

Formenton - Brown - Stone
Tkachuk - Brown - Batherson
Paul - Brown - Ryan

They should bring Brown up this yr at some point to see where he is with his development & try him with a couple of good wingers, I'd even try him at centre between Duchene & Stone. I think Ottawa has a number of good centres coming in Brown, Chlapik, Norris, White is already here & Paul would make a good 4th line centre IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Brown has done absolutely nothing to warrant being called up. His stock has only dropped since he was drafted...

Brown has done nothing to warrant being called up because he hasn't played this year lol. He did score 1.5ppg last year, though, despite playing with only two PPG players between the two teams he played on (Luchuk on Windsor, Mascherin on Kitchener). Brown has elite offensive ability but he is extremely raw and physically undeveloped. Just like Brady, this makes him susceptible to injury and probably chronic pain throughout the season. He needs to strengthen up and toughen up but if you aren't seeing the dominant ability, I question how much you've seen of Brown.

Also, look at the guys picked after him. There really aren't many guys in the next 10 who I'd trade Brown for. McAvoy is the only clear choice.

Reactions: Xspyrit and aragorn

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'm glad you agree with me. You can't simply discount the fact he appears to be made of glass.

I addressed that "fact". Lots of players, especially ones who relatively recently went through a massive growth spurt - especially ones who only recently started training with weights - will go through injury issues. "Injury prone players", in most cases, are a fallacy. Alfredsson was made of glass... until he was not. Datsyuk was a choker... until he was not.

Reactions: Xspyrit and aragorn

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
All I said he doesn't warrant a call-up, and if anything, his stock has dropped since the draft.

Are you arguing that his injuries should increase his stock? That would be weird.

Brown was taken 10th overall. Let's see if there are 10 guys we would take before him today:

Matthews
Laine
Dubois
Tkachuk
Keller
Sergachev
McAvoy
Cholowski
Debrincat
Girard
Lajoie

Last edited:

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
All I said he doesn't warrant a call-up, and if anything, his stock has dropped since the draft.

Are you arguing that his injuries should increase his stock? That would be weird.

Brown was taken 10th overall. Let's see if there are 10 guys we would take before him today:

Matthews
Laine
Dubois
Tkachuk
Keller
Sergachev
McAvoy
Cholowski
Debrincat
Girard
Lajoie
Borgstrom
fabbro
jost

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Matthews
Laine
Dubois
Tkachuk
Keller
Sergachev
McAvoy
Cholowski
Debrincat
Girard
Lajoie
That's your opinion that his stock has dropped, there is absolutely no evidence of that, I thought he had a pretty good yr last yr, he was invited to the WJC but was hurt then too. You could argue he is having constant injuries which is definitely a concern but it does not take away from his obvious skill & talent & he was only drafted two yrs ago, he's only 20 yrs old in his first yr as a pro. 6 guys on your list were taken before Ottawa drafted him, why are they even on your list, Ottawa would not have been able to draft any of them anyway? Maybe McAvoy (14th) or Debrincat (39th) but even then, to get a potential #1 centre who is huge & talented IMO is more important than the others on that list. Brown could turn out better than Dubois too, time will tell. Every yr every team I bet wishes they could have done something different at one point or another, sometimes you get lucky & sometimes you don't, isn't scouting suppose to be a strong suit of this team? IMO Carey, Rodewald & Burgdoerfer don't warrant a callup either but they have all played games in the NHL this yr.

MaxTheLimit

Hockey ruins all my personal relationships
Jul 21, 2016
Ontario
You guys are pretty quick to be down on Brown. He's only 20. Think about Mark Scheifele on the Jets. In his 20yo season he was coming off of 2 good, but injury hampered seasons with the Colts. He had a good season after that with 34 pts in 64 games with the Jets. He has evolved into one of the better centres in the game since then. He still has some injury troubles, but I doubt you'd find a lot of people in Winnipeg unhappy with him.

I'm not saying Brown is the same type of player that Scheifele is, but it does go to show that just because he hasn't exploded into the league like we might have hoped, it doesn't mean that he can't work his way in and evolve into a solid centre. It just might take time. It wasn't really until his 3rd NHL season where Scheifele started to become the player he was expected to be. He was 22 at that point. Let's not be too quick to decide where Brown ranks in his draft year, or as a prospect. We don't know what kinda play he will be in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad