Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Maybe now, but at the time I remember specifically people comparing production in their 18 (or 19?) year old seasons and extrapolating that to future NHL production. It was so stupid it burned itself permanently in my memory.
Pretty sure you burnt it into your own memory because no one was saying that he would be better than Forsberg. At most people were saying that he had great potential and the sky was the limit for him.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Dahlen was carrying a line with Elias Pettersson, so yeah he was pretty damn good.

And here we are with the hyperbole again lol.

Dahlen maintained production in the same league when Pettersson left.
Pettersson improved production while moving up to a tougher league (and led the league in scoring).

How 'bout neither player carried the other? I kinda feel like thats the best way this can possibly go for you.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Pretty sure you burnt it into your own memory because no one was saying that he would be better than Forsberg. At most people were saying that he had great potential and the sky was the limit for him.

Nope, people (granted, some, obviously not all) were saying Dahlen was going to be a Forsberg-level player or better, based solely on comparing scoring pace in Sweden. Hell, they might turn out to be right, but predicting that based on nothing but PPG is moronic. It's like saying Rudolfs Balcers outscored Mark Stone in their respective first pro seasons, therefore we can expect Balcers to be comparable to Stone in the NHL.

And what you said doesn't make any sense. No one was saying he would be better than Forsberg, and yet people would say the sky is the limit? Which one is it?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Nope, people (granted, some, obviously not all) were saying Dahlen was going to be a Forsberg-level player or better, based solely on comparing scoring pace in Sweden. Hell, they might turn out to be right, but predicting that based on nothing but PPG is moronic. It's like saying Rudolfs Balcers outscored Mark Stone in their respective first pro seasons, therefore we can expect Balcers to be comparable to Stone in the NHL.

And what you said doesn't make any sense. No one was saying he would be better than Forsberg, and yet people would say the sky is the limit? Which one is it?
Sounds like you have a different understanding of what player potential means. OK makes sense then.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Tier 2 Swedish league

Pettersson is something else though

True, but Dahlen did have an exceptional season. Led his team in scoring by more than 15 points. Guy behind him was 4 yrs older and drafted in the top 100 in 2012. And played 8 more games than him. And then he scored 14 points in 10 qualification games. 5 more points than anyone else posted. Making him largely responsible for his club, Timra IK, getting promoted into the top Swedish league for this season.

Dahlen is no Pettersson but he easily could have played in the SHL and been a very productive player. He stayed in Timra because he wanted to elevate them into the SHL and he accomplished that as far and away the top player on his team.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Loheit really struggling

7 points through the first 16 games for Penticton

As a comparable, Riley Hughes (NYR 2018 216th overall) has 25 points in 24 games for Victoria (though he's playing with the best Junior A player in the country) and isn't considered to be having a great year.

Loheit is producing at the level of a very good midget AAA player entering Junior A

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Loheit really struggling

7 points through the first 16 games for Penticton

As a comparable, Riley Hughes (NYR 2018 216th overall) has 25 points in 24 games for Victoria (though he's playing with the best Junior A player in the country) and isn't considered to be having a great year.

Loheit is producing at the level of a very good midget AAA player entering Junior A

He had mono didn't he? Have you watched that team play at all? Hopefully he has a better 2nd half
Novak the other 7th rounder has 5 pts in 10 games for Bentley. Bentley is not doing very well as a team 2 W in their 1st 10.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He had mono didn't he? Have you watched that team play at all? Hopefully he has a better 2nd half
Novak the other 7th rounder has 5 pts in 10 games for Bentley. Bentley is not doing very well as a team 2 W in their 1st 10.
Watched them play 1 time against Victoria a 2 months ago, Loheit wasn't very noticable though he scored a goal. Only team I am watching is Victoria this year out of the BCHL.

Yeah I admittedly am not holding out much/any hope for Novak, though he could surprise.Haven't seen any actual games of him, only scouting videos and reports so I wouldn't put much weight on my thoughts

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Watched them play 1 time against Victoria a 2 months ago, Loheit wasn't very noticable though he scored a goal. Only team I am watching is Victoria this year out of the BCHL.

Yeah I admittedly am not holding out much/any hope for Novak, though he could surprise.Haven't seen any actual games of him, only scouting videos and reports so I wouldn't put much weight on my thoughts

Newhook is doing pretty well. How has he looked to you? Boston College next year?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Newhook is doing pretty well. How has he looked to you? Boston College next year?
Very good. Very, very good.

Had 1 point last night though he was the primary guy starting and creating 4 of their goals. Even when he's not showing up on the scoreboard he's the best guy on the ice game in and game out. Teams are literally just playing to stop him.

Should be a very good pick at 10-20.

Yeah he'll be at BC next year, his sister Abby is committed there 2 years behind him. Not sure they will get their time together though as he may turn pro after 1-2 years.

Wouldn't mind taking a 7th round flyer on Carter Berger as an overaged guy, he looks to be taking a big step this year.

Not a big fan of Alexander Campbell, he's a big byproduct of Newhook IMO.

All 3 will be playing for Team West.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Formentons lack of Junior production is concerning. With his speed and size he should be dominating the scoreboard.

He doesn't have the head to be a top six player at the NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad