Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
On the subject of former prospects, Jonathan Dahlen is 2-6-8 In 15 games in Utica so far. He isn't exactly banging down the door to get to Vancouver.

That only looks kinda bad because expectations were way overblown here (probably a fear reaction to a "worst case" scenario). Dahlen was overrated but he is still a very good prospect who seems more and more likely to be a top 9 player with each passing season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
That only looks kinda bad because expectations were way overblown here (probably a fear reaction to a "worst case" scenario). Dahlen was overrated but he is still a very good prospect who seems more and more likely to be a top 9 player with each passing season.

When we traded him the reviews were really mixed on if he'd even be an NHL player. Skill is there, some scots saw him as a top 6 player, others saw him as to soft for regular NHL duty.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Norms a great guy, played (practised) for him for a season

Tell Norm thanks for making the future Blue-Nosed-Alfie of the Senators (Afredsson / Batherson, both Right shot RW, both late bloomers, both great shots and hockey sense, both future mayors of Ottawa) we appreciate him and will treat his son like the the God he is.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
When we traded him the reviews were really mixed on if he'd even be an NHL player. Skill is there, some scots saw him as a top 6 player, others saw him as to soft for regular NHL duty.
mckenzies words were 1/3 thought he had surefire top 6 potential, another third though he was top 9 and another third thought too soft.. so 2/3s of scouts he spoke to thought AT LEAST top 9

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
future first liner doe or so people here say
People were comparing him in value to Chlapik who he's trending pretty similarly to in terms of projections. Nobody was saying he was a surefire 1st liner, they just felt he had more value than we got out of him. Not sure why anyone would complain about 10 pts in 15 games in his first full year in NA as a 20 year old. Kid is still a promising prospect.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
People were comparing him in value to Chlapik who he's trending pretty similarly to in terms of projections. Nobody was saying he was a surefire 1st liner, they just felt he had more value than we got out of him. Not sure why anyone would complain about 10 pts in 15 games in his first full year in NA as a 20 year old. Kid is still a promising prospect.
there were for sure a good group of people who were saying he is a future top liner. Even more hype than CHalpik who is probably a 2nd/3rd line guy.

each their own

Sting

Feb 8, 2004

Thing is, Dahlen probably needs to be in a top 6 role to succeed given his size/skill. I don't see an opportunity on this team with the players/prospects we have in the top 6 anytime soon.

I still hate the trade from a value perspective, but I really don't think we're going to look back on the trade and feel all that bad about missing out on Dahlen. I'd put him at or around Formenton in terms of prospect value...probably lower though.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I don't remember what people were projecting Dahlen to be in terms of 1st/2nd/3rd liner. However, I do remember a bunch of people bringing up the fact that Dahlen had a better season in Sweden than Filip Forsberg did at the same age, and so it was totally reasonable to expect Dahlen to turn into a better player than Forsberg.

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Best example I could think of tbh. Pretty nuts that the Preds essentially have 20 or more years of solid goaltending.

Maybe Anaheim? Not elite goalies but all of them performed well while they were playing for the Ducks.

Giguerre
Hiller
Andersen
and now Gibson
I think Giguerre was drafted by the Hartford Whalers and then did most of his marinating in the Flames organization.

Sorry for the late replay on this, just catching up on my reading.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't remember what people were projecting Dahlen to be in terms of 1st/2nd/3rd liner. However, I do remember a bunch of people bringing up the fact that Dahlen had a better season in Sweden than Filip Forsberg did at the same age, and so it was totally reasonable to expect Dahlen to turn into a better player than Forsberg.
The comparisons to Forsberg are more made because of the Erat/Forsberg trade and how similar those deals are gonna look a couple years after the fact. Dahlen is well on his way to being a productive top 6 guy and Burrows is done and was done when we got him like Erat was.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
The comparisons to Forsberg are more made because of the Erat/Forsberg trade and how similar those deals are gonna look a couple years after the fact. Dahlen is well on his way to being a productive top 6 guy and Burrows is done and was done when we got him like Erat was.

Maybe now, but at the time I remember specifically people comparing production in their 18 (or 19?) year old seasons and extrapolating that to future NHL production. It was so stupid it burned itself permanently in my memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad