Prospect Info: 2018-2019 Senators prospect watch part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
If Brown doesn't have the awareness for Center, any thoughts of moving him to LW? Could still take face offs, I like the offense down low and calmness in tight situations - could he move to LW?

Brown might not make it as a top 6 center, but I dont think it would be on account of awareness. He sees and thinks the game very well imo.

It's his place that is the biggest concern imo. If he cant keep up and match the work ethic of the other top end centers he'll be facing, then I would definitely be willing to try him as a winger before downgrading him to a bottom 6 player.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
The issue with Daccord, is if we want to sign him, we are going to have to clear one of Condon/Anderson/Hogberg/Gustavsson

Our crease is too deep to be tempting for him to sign. He currently holds all the cards, and he won't sign here to be an ECHL guy.. that being said, nobody is going to take Condon, and Andy us our only NHL guy. And we arent letting go of Gustavsson. Soo Hogberg is the only real option here to get rid of, be it by trade or letting him go back to Europe.

But my guess is Daccord goes to FA and signs with a team like Florida or Arizona with a pretty thin net.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The issue with Daccord, is if we want to sign him, we are going to have to clear one of Condon/Anderson/Hogberg/Gustavsson

Our crease is too deep to be tempting for him to sign. He currently holds all the cards, and he won't sign here to be an ECHL guy.. that being said, nobody is going to take Condon, and Andy us our only NHL guy. And we arent letting go of Gustavsson. Soo Hogberg is the only real option here to get rid of, be it by trade or letting him go back to Europe.

But my guess is Daccord goes to FA and signs with a team like Florida or Arizona with a pretty thin net.
He’s not some superstar goalie prospect. He holds mediocre cards if any

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Sure I guess, but he's done well enough that teams with an opening for a prospect would make him an offer, and we don't really have a desirable spot for him to play. All it takes is one team to offer him a role on their AHL club and there's not much we can offer. Hopefully he's loyal to the team that drafted him.

Reactions: edguy

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

He doesn't need to be a superstar. He needs to be good enough to get an NHL contract. Which he is. So he is going to have options.
Why choose being an ECHL guy here over being an AHL guy in an org like FLA or ARI? Unless like Micklebot said, he is loyal to the team that drafted him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He doesn't need to be a superstar. He needs to be good enough to get an NHL contract. Which he is. So he is going to have options.
Why choose being an ECHL guy here over being an AHL guy in an org like FLA or ARI? Unless like Micklebot said, he is loyal to the team that drafted him.
As many are quite loyal.

Do you think his agent will advise he go somewhere he will play in the AHL right away? Just to get lit up game in game out.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Goalies are different than other positions ... IMO no one in front of him right now is really grabbing the bull by the horns.. If Daccord does start in the ECHL... and does well ... I could see him displace someone that is in front of him now.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Seems aggressive to suggest he is going to bail on the Senators already.

Many goalies go to the E and its not like teams can just start offering him contracts...we own his rights and are only team able to negotiate with him.

Top prospects Hogberg and Gus, both with pro experience in Sweden played in the E.

Suggesting he goes FA route is way premature IMO. People said same about White and Wolanin too...not many players use the loophole.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Norris will be a "star" and has a good chance "to steal the top line center position" next year? I think the author was on something when he wrote this. Nevertheless it is nice to see an article on Norris.

Yea its a pretty long long shot but if Duchene gets traded who will be getting the #1 C? Tierny?

If we think this year is rough, just wait till next year. Least we got our 1st round pick but still going to be a bumpy road ahead

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yea its a pretty long long shot but if Duchene gets traded who will be getting the #1 C? Tierny?

If we think this year is rough, just wait till next year. Least we got our 1st round pick but still going to be a bumpy road ahead
this actually fits a rebuild plan... next year wehave our first.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Don't worry, our AHL team will ruin the development of Joey when he comes over too.

That system has a lot of casualties.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
GM gone, new and highly touted coach, players looking pretty good this year.

Try again....

Oh yes our goalie depth is looking great again this year.

f0nqHkl.png

try again....

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Oh yes our goalie depth is looking great again this year.

f0nqHkl.png

try again....

So are we talking about the quality of our goalie drafting and prospect pool, or are we insulting The coaching staff in Belleville?

How do you view our goalie prospects, and which ones have been ruined in your opinion?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
If Daccord feels "blocked" by McKenna/Gus/Hogberg there aren't very many teams in the league where he won't be blocked. Our goaltending depth is average at best (that might even be generous). If he refuses to sign here it has everything to do with him not wanting to play in Ottawa or as part of the Senators franchise and nothing to do with there being too much competition ahead of him.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Like I said "Our AHL team will ruin the development of Joey when he comes over too."

Meaning these prospects are usually highly touted and have a decent #s before they come to our AHL team and that our system eventually destroys them, their confidence and eventually their career.

This team can draft goalies who do well in other leagues but when they get to our Pro system, they crumble. We haven't drafted and developed a proper NHL goalie since Elliot and Emery days, or Lehner if you really want to go there. We are always looking for outside help for goalies, Anderson, Bishop, Condon etc

Since Lehner graduated.

Hogberg SHL GP 33, GAA 1.89, SV .932
Hogberg AHL GP 21, GAA 3.44, SV .893

Dreidger WHL GP 50, GAA 2.64, SV .918
Dreidger AHL GP 96, GAA 3.09, SV .906

OConnor H-East GP 35, GAA 3.10, SV .912
OConnor AHL GP 73, GAA 3.28, SV .895

To a Lesser extent

Gustavsson SHL GP 22, GAA 2.07, SV .918
Gustavsson AHL GP 14, GAA 3.76, SV .892

So why is it we can draft them and they do well in their leagues and when they try to make the next step they falter? I get giving some blame to the player for their quality of play and development in the pros, but when its a constant goalie prospect one after another then you have to look at the organizations philosophy into developing its goalies.

Yes we got a new AHL crew and all, and yes they will need time to implement their systems, but even with new personnel and players, the AHL team is giving up record breaking shots just like their parent NHL team, sloppy defensive play, barely maintaining any pressure in other team's zones (0 shots in 1 period last week), our goalies are under constant pressure, tiring them out quicker, losing their confidence and eventually busting in our system.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
Like I said "Our AHL team will ruin the development of Joey when he comes over too."

Meaning these prospects are usually highly touted and have a decent #s before they come to our AHL team and that our system eventually destroys them, their confidence and eventually their career.

This team can draft goalies who do well in other leagues but when they get to our Pro system, they crumble. We haven't drafted and developed a proper NHL goalie since Elliot and Emery days, or Lehner if you really want to go there. We are always looking for outside help for goalies, Anderson, Bishop, Condon etc

Since Lehner graduated.

Hogberg SHL GP 33, GAA 1.89, SV .932
Hogberg AHL GP 21, GAA 3.44, SV .893

Dreidger WHL GP 50, GAA 2.64, SV .918
Dreidger AHL GP 96, GAA 3.09, SV .906

OConnor H-East GP 35, GAA 3.10, SV .912
OConnor AHL GP 73, GAA 3.28, SV .895

To a Lesser extent

Gustavsson SHL GP 22, GAA 2.07, SV .918
Gustavsson AHL GP 14, GAA 3.76, SV .892

So why is it we can draft them and they do well in their leagues and when they try to make the next step they falter? I get giving some blame to the player for their quality of play and development in the pros, but when its a constant goalie prospect one after another then you have to look at the organizations philosophy into developing its goalies.

Yes we got a new AHL crew and all, and yes they will need time to implement their systems, but even with new personnel and players, the AHL team is giving up record breaking shots just like their parent NHL team, sloppy defensive play, barely maintaining any pressure in other team's zones (0 shots in 1 period last week), our goalies are under constant pressure, tiring them out quicker, losing their confidence and eventually busting in our system.

Can you name an NHL team that consistently produces a high number of quality goaltenders though? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Most are happy to luck into one every 5+ years or so, and it usually takes them 3-5 years to even see them at the NHL level. The only team off the top of my head who had too many internally drafted+developed goalies on their team recently was Pittsburgh with Fleury and Murray, and those 2 were drafted 9 year apart.

I don't think Ottawa is any worse at developing goalies than most, goalies are just weird and no one can adequately predict what they're going to amount to when they're 18-20. That's why you don't see goalies drafted in the 1st round anymore, and rarely even in the 2nd. Also why we shouldn't concern ourselves (yet) over Gustavsson's play of late, of if Daccord struggles whenever he turns pro.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Can you name an NHL team that consistently produces a high number of quality goaltenders though? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any. Most are happy to luck into one every 5+ years or so, and it usually takes them 3-5 years to even see them at the NHL level. The only team off the top of my head who had too many internally drafted+developed goalies on their team recently was Pittsburgh with Fleury and Murray, and those 2 were drafted 9 year apart.

I don't think Ottawa is any worse at developing goalies than most, goalies are just weird and no one can adequately predict what they're going to amount to when they're 18-20. That's why you don't see goalies drafted in the 1st round anymore, and rarely even in the 2nd. Also why we shouldn't concern ourselves (yet) over Gustavsson's play of late, of if Daccord struggles whenever he turns pro.

Nashville?

Vokoun
Rinne
and now Sarros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad