2018-2019 Line Combos

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
Seeing these line combos with Nelson and Ladd pains me more than not seeing Tavares there. If Lou can get rid of those two, he deserves a shrine in Belmont.

Considering we just lost 91, I highly doubt Lou is eager to trade away a middle-six center that you can pencil in for ~20 goals.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Beauvillier - Barzal - Eberle
Lee - Bailey - Ho-Sang

Might be an interesting way of arranging the top 6. But it leaves a whole lot of garbage in the bottom 6, unless Bellows makes the team.

Ladd - Nelson - Komarov has at least some upside. Has a tremendous amount of downside too but all 3 guys have a lot to prove and have shown in the past they can do it. That 3rd line will hold the key to the Islanders success, IMO.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Ladd - Nelson - Komarov has at least some upside. Has a tremendous amount of downside too but all 3 guys have a lot to prove and have shown in the past they can do it. That 3rd line will hold the key to the Islanders success, IMO.

I can't see Nelson and Ladd ever being productive on the same line.

Reactions: redbull and seafoam

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Totally agree, I think Ladd has a resurgent year.
  • Trotz
  • Leadership void without the Captain who won nothing
  • Regular lineup presence of Martin emboldens chippy players like Ladd

I would replace Martin with Komarov, as I don't think Martin ends up being an everyday forward for this team.

Komarov seems to be another guy who loosens everyone up.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I agree. They are the two most "complimentary" forwards we have on the team, meaning they won't produce unless put in the right situation.
Ideally for me Nelson is with either Barzal, Bailey or Ho-Sang and Ladd can sponge off one of those as well or Ladd is with Filpula and/or Komarov which should be a smart defensive line.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Ideally for me Nelson is with either Barzal, Bailey or Ho-Sang and Ladd can sponge off one of those as well or Ladd is with Filpula and/or Komarov which should be a smart defensive line.

Yeah, I have Nelson with Barzal and Ladd with Ho-Sang.

Really that can be interchangeable, but felt that Ladd provided more defensively, which is why I put him with Ho-Sang.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I would replace Martin with Komarov, as I don't think Martin ends up being an everyday forward for this team.

Missing the point, chippy players like Ladd, Clutter, Cizikas etc. play alot more freely annoying and emboldened when you dress someone who takes a fight for them, Komarov won't do that for them. I full anticipate you will see Martin dressing regularly for this team.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017

You literally have Zero background on what occurred in Toronto..because Martin was a healthy scratch you assume he could not play with the figure skaters...not the case..Martin days were numbered when he stood up for Marner with Softcock/Babcock..it was over get it....Lou was out also....Lesson here is this..never hire a Euro coach for too much money before your GM...Babcock will win nothing for one reason..its all about Babcock...ask Matthews maybe.

Btw..Babcock cost himself any chance of beating Boston because of his Ego in this matter, also ask yourself how well NYI did in Marts absence the last 2 years?
Hockey is a Team game...teams win who have glue guys that hold things together. Once again i didn't see much going on in NYI with all your superstars in place. NYI will be back in the playoffs bet on it..the team has enough it just needed its heart back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Costigan77 and mm11

DonLou13

Jun 18, 2018
Bellows-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Beau-Bailey
Ladd-Fippula-Ho-Sang
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck-Komarov-Kunhakl

Brock is shipped off for another defender

Leddy-Pulock
Hickey-Boychuck
Pelech-Towes
Mayfeld

Lehner-Greiss

Reactions: Islesny91

crasherino

May 9, 2013
You literally have Zero background on what occurred in Toronto..because Martin was a healthy scratch you assume he could not play with the figure skaters...not the case..Martin days were numbered when he stood up for Marner with Softcock/Babcock..it was over get it....Lou was out also....Lesson here is this..never hire a Euro coach for too much money before your GM...Babcock will win nothing for one reason..its all about Babcock...ask Matthews maybe.

Btw..Babcock cost himself any chance of beating Boston because of his Ego in this matter, also ask yourself how well NYI did in Marts absence the last 2 years?
Hockey is a Team game...teams win who have glue guys that hold things together. Once again i didn't see much going on in NYI with all your superstars in place. NYI will be back in the playoffs bet on it..the team has enough it just needed its heart back.

I just took a quick look at your posts as I wasn't sure whether you're a Leafs fan or what, and you literally have the same post about 300 times. Its kind of amazing, actually. In sum, you think a) Babcock (or Badcock/Softcock) has an ego b) he plays a Euro game and c) doesn't have enough size in his lineups and d) Matt Martin stood up for Marner and then got into Backcock's doghouse.

You're more of a single issue poster than ndgolden. :thumbu:

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

I have been a Matt Martin fan since his Sarnia days. It will be interesting. That's for sure...

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
I think more moves are coming as the recent interview may have suggested bringing rookies into the fold. I still believe Ho Sang is ready to go under Trotz and Bellows as well. My expected line up (since we obviously have too many forwards and moves are coming) are:

Lee - Bellows - Bailey
Ladd - Filpulla -Ho Sang
Komarov - Cizikas - Martin

Kuhnackl

Leddy - Pulock
Pelech - Boychuk
Hickey - Mayfield

Toews

Lehner
Greiss

Putting Bellows at Center even though he may be better suited as a winger. Overall I expect Nelson, Clutter and one of our D gone in some sort of deal. And I have to say, I'm not all that upset about the look of that line up. Sure some contracts outright suck and I know we all want a change or two on defense (which something is definitely coming at some point) but it's an interesting roster to say the least.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I think more moves are coming as the recent interview may have suggested bringing rookies into the fold. I still believe Ho Sang is ready to go under Trotz and Bellows as well. My expected line up (since we obviously have too many forwards and moves are coming) are:

Lee - Bellows - Bailey
Ladd - Filpulla -Ho Sang
Komarov - Cizikas - Martin

Kuhnackl

Leddy - Pulock
Pelech - Boychuk
Hickey - Mayfield

Toews

Lehner
Greiss

Putting Bellows at Center even though he may be better suited as a winger. Overall I expect Nelson, Clutter and one of our D gone in some sort of deal. And I have to say, I'm not all that upset about the look of that line up. Sure some contracts outright suck and I know we all want a change or two on defense (which something is definitely coming at some point) but it's an interesting roster to say the least.

Bellows will not play center. Bailey can slot in as a 2C.

Not only is he not a C, it would not be fair to throw him into 2nd line duty with no NHL experience.

I do like the idea of subtracting Nelson and Clutterbuck, though with the addition of Martin they may want to keep Clutterbuck around. I feel there are numerous redundancies in the lineup:
  • Martin and Johnston are a little redundant, both enforcers with some offensive ability(I prefer Johnston)
  • Komarov and Clutterbuck, both agitators/grinders (I prefer Komarov)

Ladd's play since he arrived has not been lightyears above what Komarov and Clutterbuck bring to the table. It will be interesting to see how this roster is managed and deployed because right now it seems we are in desperate need of a top-4 defensemen and have a surplus of sandpaper.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
It seems like Lou is still very high on "the best 4th line in hockey". Therefore, I doubt he will trade away Clutterbuck.

It wouldn't surprise me if Trotz decides to go with Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck as the fourth line. Komarov should also be a lock since we're paying him such a big amount of money.

Last edited:

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
Bellows will not play center. Bailey can slot in as a 2C.

Not only is he not a C, it would not be fair to throw him into 2nd line duty with no NHL experience.

I do like the idea of subtracting Nelson and Clutterbuck, though with the addition of Martin they may want to keep Clutterbuck around. I feel there are numerous redundancies in the lineup:
  • Martin and Johnston are a little redundant, both enforcers with some offensive ability(I prefer Johnston)
  • Komarov and Clutterbuck, both agitators/grinders (I prefer Komarov)

Ladd's play since he arrived has not been lightyears above what Komarov and Clutterbuck bring to the table. It will be interesting to see how this roster is managed and deployed because right now it seems we are in desperate need of a top-4 defensemen and have a surplus of sandpaper.

While I agree that I’d rather have Bellows on LW, with that grouping, Ladd is preventing him from making the roster. Bellows can play both, but of course is better suited as LW and I don’t see Ho Sang ever playing center.

When I look at the roster though, the pairs are not too far off. It’s very interesting depending on who we still may acquire.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Heard another interview with Lou in Tor, again emphasized Martin and Komarov improving the locker room but also on ice physicality and again I think about Trotz and Burakovsky ripping the Isles for being easy to play against. Don't think Martin is an extra.

BARzalDOWN

Apr 20, 2007
Bellows-Barzal-Eberle
Lee-Beau-Bailey
Ladd-Fippula-Ho-Sang
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck-Komarov-Kunhakl

Brock is shipped off for another defender

Leddy-Pulock
Hickey-Boychuck
Pelech-Towes
Mayfeld

Lehner-Greiss

I think this is how the lineup starts out. Defense still needs some work but I don't think anything else happens with the goaltending. I'd like to see Nelson moved for like a 3-5 defenseman, someone young and preferably a lefty. Think Clutterbuck gets moved too unless they plan on not playing Ho Sang/Bellows everyday.

Overall, I still think we do better than last year even though the roster is worse. Having a good coach/system is infinitely more important than a few individual players. It'll be interesting to see what they do with Eberle at the deadline also. Loved him last year but if things shake out (we stink and Wahlstrom kills it at Boston), they might be able to move him for some solid future pieces.

Reactions: DonLou13

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I really like the idea of sliding Bailey into the 2C spot. Curious to see how he fares at this point in his career.

Other than that, trade Nelson for a 2nd. Time to move on from him. Unless Trotz thinks he can get him to show some intensity on a consistent basis, I'd rather not see his face anymore.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Heard another interview with Lou in Tor, again emphasized Martin and Komarov improving the locker room but also on ice physicality and again I think about Trotz and Burakovsky ripping the Isles for being easy to play against. Don't think Martin is an extra.
I agree. And I wouldn't be surprised if Komarov slots in higher up than people are guessing now. I wouldn't be shocked to see him play with Barzal sometimes. I really do not expect to see Beauvillier-Barzal-Eberle (assuming Eberle is even on the team).

Reactions: Hagstrom

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

If that’s the case, then I would think a roster forward is going to be on the move sometime this summer.

I don’t really want to see Ladd/Ho-Sang rotating in and out of the lineup all season long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad