2018-2019 Line Combos

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Considering we just lost 91, I highly doubt Lou is eager to trade away a middle-six center that you can pencil in for ~20 goals.

Nelson has always been awful without the puck especially outside the offensive zone. I'm afraid his stock will drop further this year. I don't think he's smart enough or competes hard enough. I would seriously look at trading him even if the return is just cap space - he's an RFA and will get good money because of his stats.

You literally have Zero background on what occurred in Toronto..because Martin was a healthy scratch you assume he could not play with the figure skaters...not the case..Martin days were numbered when he stood up for Marner with Softcock/Babcock..it was over get it....Lou was out also....Lesson here is this..never hire a Euro coach for too much money before your GM...Babcock will win nothing for one reason..its all about Babcock...ask Matthews maybe.

Btw..Babcock cost himself any chance of beating Boston because of his Ego in this matter, also ask yourself how well NYI did in Marts absence the last 2 years?
Hockey is a Team game...teams win who have glue guys that hold things together. Once again i didn't see much going on in NYI with all your superstars in place. NYI will be back in the playoffs bet on it..the team has enough it just needed its heart back.

What are you talking about exactly?

Babcock loves Martin - "he keeps the flies off" as he always says - but Martin wasn't good enough. They had way better options.

Not sure what standing up for Marner even means - they are best friends off the ice.

Martin will be better on Long Island than he was in Toronto.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Can I ask why everyone feels we need to break up Barzel-Eberly-Beauvillier?

My 2 cents with Beauvillier is the Islanders desperate need a 2nd line center and he probably is our best bet to do that in house. Not saying he will but I do believe Beauvillier has the chance to be a Ryan O'Reilly level of center.

It's great that beauvillier and Barzal have some chemistry but I honestly believe we can find a few guys that could have chemistry with Barzal on the LW, if Beauvillier can be a good NHL center even if it means more slotted as a 3rd line center then we have to do it

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
My 2 cents with Beauvillier is the Islanders desperate need a 2nd line center and he probably is our best bet to do that in house. Not saying he will but I do believe Beauvillier has the chance to be a Ryan O'Reilly level of center.

It's great that beauvillier and Barzal have some chemistry but I honestly believe we can find a few guys that could have chemistry with Barzal on the LW, if Beauvillier can be a good NHL center even if it means more slotted as a 3rd line center then we have to do it

The interesting thing about Barzal is that he has seemingly had chemistry with every lineman he has had where as with Tavares it was always a struggle to find people to play with him. I have my worries about Beauvillier producing getting top six minutes this year though.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Kovar is more likely to end up as a Derek Ryan level center with a bit more sandpaper than a 2C.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I have a feeling we're gonna see this....

Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Beau-Barzal-Ebs
Ladd-Kovar-Komarov
Martin-CC-CC

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
I have a feeling we're gonna see this....

Lee-Nelson-Bailey
Beau-Barzal-Ebs
Ladd-Kovar-Komarov
Martin-CC-CC
Basically my roster minus Kovar who I would swap with Filppula

Khunhackl and Johnston as extras

Kovar deserves a good look but until he proves he is an NHL’er I won’t count on him being a regular

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Basically my roster minus Kovar who I would swap with Filppula

Khunhackl and Johnston as extras

Kovar deserves a good look but until he proves he is an NHL’er I won’t count on him being a regular
Good point. Forgot we have Filppula. You're right

center55

Oct 12, 2009
From what I can tell Lou is far from done:

Current roster has too many bottom six guys, he must be thinking of making some more moves.

To me 1st line is last years second line I wouldn't mess with that chemistry (Beu - Barzal - Eberle)
Second line is interesting but i think they give Kovar a chance there (Bail - Kovar - Lee)
I believe they traded to get Martin to bring back what was largely considered the best 4th line in hockey a few years back (Martin - CC - Cal)
That brings us to the 3rd line and why I cant believe Lou is done: Filppula, Johnston, Komarov, Kuhnhackl, Ladd and Nelson
Not to mention Ho Sang, Bellows and Wahlstrom

Forward debt is good to have, however I believe Lou is gonna try to move a couple of forwards for a Dman

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Again I may be so off because I'm not good with trades so try not to bash me off I am, but I think Henrique could be had for:

Henrique

for

Nelson, 2020 2nd round pick, Mayfeld

Anaheim just got him this past season for Vantanen. They LOVED him out there. He was a perfect fit.

Can't see why they'd move him.

Aside from that, looks a bit like overpay from our side.

Okposo, 2019 2nd round pick, 2020 3rd round pick

for

Bellows, Aho, Clutterbuck

Interesting. Buffalo may bite.

But Okposo has had some problems in recent years and they've been primarily in the health department. In addition, since leaving the Island, he's had two 45 point seasons, despite playing with one of Eichel or O'Reilly. Throw in his combined -41 and I don't think any NYI fan is going to want to offer up Bellows' possible pure sniping abilities for such uncertainty.

Tanev, 2019 3rd round pick

for

2019 1st round pick

One thing I am NEVER going to understand is the obsession some around HFBoards have with Tanev.

If our team would want this type of player so doggone bad, it would have just added a bit more onto the offer for the better Tanev, and have kept de Haan here.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Can I ask why everyone feels we need to break up Barzel-Eberly-Beauvillier? The line showed great chemistry last year. What is the obsession with fixing what is not broken.
Bailey and Lee have been great together with or without Tavares. Either move JB to center and add a playmaker like Ho Sang or trade or find a playmaking second center.
No reason to not see if CC-CC-MM can come back together. Then you just need to figure out line 3.

One thing is clear: Of all the broken parts in this franchise, that line isn't one of them.

And fans either here or at Twitter have me scratching my head with regularity when they talk about moving one or both of those wingers from Barzal's side. Sheeshh, Beau scored 18 goals in like 34 games while playing on that line. Who in all of God's great green nature would want to move him off that line?

Just never fails to surprise me why some choose to ignore the adage "Don't fix what ain't broken".

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Unless they’re moving a forward out, Kuhnhackl and Johnston should both be waived and I think Filppula ends up in the pressbox. He’s not that good.

The guys are here for depth and to serve as options.

And they're also here to let everyone else know the following:
"Don't bring it or don't follow the coach's instructions, because he's here to cut down on all those f***ing goals against allowed last season, then we've got a handful of players to replace you."

It's as simple as that!

Worst comes to worst, players serve as waiver fodder or are traded along the way.

Absolutely NO problem having interchangeables throughout the line-up. Nothing is written in stone.

This is how professional outfits function.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
We simply have WAY too many forwards. We should have signed Komarov or Filpula - not both. Nelson seems to be a goner for basically whatever we can get back. A second rounder? We'll take it.

Well, Filppula is a fine-passing, strong face-off, PK-capable center. And we have a dearth of centers, both on the Island and in the system.

Komarov is a jack-of-all-trades guy who gets under your skin, can play on the PK, and is strong on the boards and in the corners.

They fulfill someone different roles.

I understand what you're getting at, but it's clear that Lou wants guys who conduct a number of roles, particularly those of responsible lower liners, and can be swapped in and out of the line-up.

That's a level of depth we haven't really seen in a while and gives Trotz a lot more options.

I really like it. Let's let Barry decide who is doing what's necessary to get in the line-up. Everyone will understand that there's plenty of competition and they'll be required to bring more if they want to be playing regularly.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
You really think Bellows doesn't make the team? I really just can't see how he doesn't make it.

Lee
Beau
Ladd
Martin
Johnston
Nelson (should be a winger)
Kuhnhackl (plays both sides)
Komarov (plays both sides)

Bellows - no NHL experience and had a strong, but not killer, junior season.

It's gonna take a HECK of a lot for this kid to make his way onto the big club.

Best way to do it:
Pop in 15 goals in the first 20-25 AHL games. MAKE Lou 'n co. give him a shot on a scoring line.

Old school. That's how it should be. There's no rush for him to make an impact now.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

It might have been the coaching a good bit, but let's not forget that Beau was 3-3-6 and had a miserable +/- in 28 games as a center last season.

Sure, he CAN be groomed properly, but is there reason to move him there BEFORE you know if some mixture of Bazal, Kovar, Nelson, Filppula, and Cizikas is sufficient enough?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Kovar is more likely to end up as a Derek Ryan level center with a bit more sandpaper than a 2C.

He's MOST likely to not cut it and be out of the picture by midseason.

But it's up to him to show what he's capable of and if he can have an NHL role whatsoever.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Kunackle's defensive game is far superior to anyone on the 4th line.

Good that you mention him.

Looking throughout this thread, it looks like folks aren't really reckoning with him.

However, the guy is a real wildcard because he may actually be THE player with the biggest "come out of nowhere to be a key player" upside.

His role in Pittsburgh was minimal and they used him as a lower liner, because they had many guys like him and didn't need him to be a scorer. He got cast in die and didn't give them reason to believe he's got more than that in the tank.

No he gets a new lease on life here. And the guy has some hands. He can be real nifty with the puck.

I'm not expecting much, but I think there's more upside there than most of us are currently willing to look at.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The guys are here for depth and to serve as options.

And they're also here to let everyone else know the following:
"Don't bring it or don't follow the coach's instructions, because he's here to cut down on all those ****ing goals against allowed last season, then we've got a handful of players to replace you."

It's as simple as that!

Worst comes to worst, players serve as waiver fodder or are traded along the way.

Absolutely NO problem having interchangeables throughout the line-up. Nothing is written in stone.

This is how professional outfits function.

I get why those guys are here, I’m just of the opinion that none of them realistically should be in the lineup if the top 12 forwards play like they are capable of.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I get why those guys are here, I’m just of the opinion that none of them realistically should be in the lineup if the top 12 forwards play like they are capable of.

I'd say that's up to the top 12 forwards to decide.

They've just gotta force Trotz' hand.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Anders Lee - Mathew Barzal - Joshua Bailey
Andrew Ladd - Anthony Beauvillier - Jordan Eberle
Brock Nelson - Valterri Filppula - Joshua Ho-Sang
Matt Martin - Casey Cizikas - Cal Clutterbuck
Ross Johnston
Tom Kuhnhackl
Tanner Fritz

Nick Leddy - Johnny Boychuk
Thomas Hickey - Ryan Pulock