Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealHumanBean

Mar 23, 2018
Now that you say that, do remember the TSN guys talking about Hayton. They tend to go off the board a bit. Denisenko needs more ice time in KHL next year, no more of this bouncing around. Give the kid the chance to show his offensive skills, won't look for him to be a 2 way guy anyhow. We have players that can make up for his defensive faults.

Even more reason I'm on board with trading the 2019 1st for immediate RD help. With guys like Weegar, Brown and Keeper, our bottom pairing is fine. Don't know if either of those 3 can become a legit #3/4.

This draft only has Byram in the top 5 no? Who/How are the D around our assumed spot of 8-13th doing so far?
IIRC , late last year there were quite a few members from this board that wanted Moritz Seider if we happen to draft somewhere around 11-15.

Moritz Seider at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yes, Byram should be an early pick, likely to anywhere go betwen 3-6.
There are other notable names like Seider, Soderstrom, Broberg, Cam York... one or two could go top 10, or they could drop. Heinola also improved a lot in the second half of the season playing in Liiga and had very good playoffs (1st pairing, 4 points in 7 games) - he actually outproduced Heiskanen in his draft year and produced the 4th most points ever in Liiga by an U-18 defenceman (he projects as a "really smart two-way guy").
If you ask me, there probably is a 1st pairing guy not-named Byram in that first round, or at least several n.3 guys. The question is can we find and develop that guy.

Now my question, do you prefer to wait the 3-5 years for that defenseman to develop or do you fast track it by trading the pick in package for that top 4 RD now? :D

Pretty easy decision for me.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Now my question, do you prefer to wait the 3-5 years for that defenseman to develop or do you fast track it by trading the pick in package for that top 4 RD now? :D

What's the package, what are our other options, where exactly do we draft and how good do we think this kid would be? Five years is too long but there have been guys drafted outside of the top5 playing meaningful minutes in draft+2 or draft+3 year.
But yeah, unless we get lucky in the lottery and pick top3, I could get behind packaging the pick for immediate help.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What's the package, what are our other options, where exactly do we draft and how good do we think this kid would be? Five years is too long but there have been guys drafted outside of the top5 playing meaningful minutes in draft+2 or draft+3 year.
But yeah, unless we get lucky in the lottery and pick top3, I could get behind packaging the pick for immediate help.

2019 1st

1 of the 2019 4th's (we have 3)

2 x 2020 3rd (we have two of them) OR the 2020 2nd if need be

1 x Malgin/Pysyk

1 x McCoshen/MacDonald

Feel that's a tempting offer for ANA for Manson + minor add (pick or prospect)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
2019 1st

1 of the 2019 4th's (we have 3)

2 x 2020 3rd (we have two of them) OR the 2020 2nd if need be

1 x Malgin/Pysyk

1 x McCoshen/MacDonald

Feel that's a tempting offer for ANA for Manson + minor add (pick or prospect)
It's a lot of picks but you have to give to get... I could probably get behind this, provided we fix our other holes in FA.
Though it still kinda leaves the question where we get a top2/top4 D three or four years from now.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It's a lot of picks but you have to give to get... I could probably get behind this, provided we fix our other holes in FA.
Though it still kinda leaves the question where we get a top2/top4 D three or four years from now.

Ekblad is a top 4
Matheson is a top 4 :sarcasm:
One of Gildon/Stillman should be become a top 4.
We would bring in a stopgap top 4 with the 2019 1st pick and use 2019 left over picks 2020 1st/draft to focus heavy on D.
Yandle is still here for another 2-3 years.

Look at a Bode Wilde, 2nd round pick that is shining bright. We could find one with the PIT pick. As much as we need to focus on the future, the present is even more important no?

Reactions: CHGoalie27

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

I don't think these guys would take 3-5 years to develop, so I don't think you are asking the right question.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I don't think these guys would take 3-5 years to develop, so I don't think you are asking the right question.

How many drafted defensemen are making an impact as a top 4 D man in under 3 years outside guys like Miro and Dahlin? You referring to guys like Cholowski and Lajoie?

I'd be very surprised if we found a guy at the 10-13th spot who doesnt need at least 3 years of development and can step right into a top 4 role.

Reactions: BabyBarkov

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
How many drafted defensemen are making an impact as a top 4 D man in under 3 years outside guys like Miro and Dahlin? You referring to guys like Cholowski and Lajoie?

I'd very surprised if we found a guy at the 10-13th spot who doesnt need at least 3 years of development and can step right into a top 4 role.
2017: Heiskanen, (Next year I assume Brannstrom, Foote, Valimaki, Liljegren, Makar)
2016: Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun, Girard
2015: Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Carlo, Chabot

It's not rare if the crop is good.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
2017: Heiskanen, (Next year I assume Brannstrom, Foote, Valimaki, Liljegren, Makar)
2016: Sergachev, McAvoy, Chychrun, Girard
2015: Hanifin, Provorov, Werenski, Carlo, Chabot

It's not rare if the crop is good.

The 2017 class is a stretch right now but ya looks like 3-4 guys each year which isnt reassuring.
Some of those guys are even 2nd rounders no? Is this draft being touted as highly with defense as the last couple years?

Long term it makes sense to draft but I'm all in to put us over the top for the next 4-5 years. The time is now to actually make a legit trade. Wouldn't fault anyone that prefers the long term approach though.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

And a key goal too - got them into OT which Karpat won. (They pulled the goalie and Hepo was the 6th skater; scored with a little over two minutes left in the third).

Hepo also played over 21 minutes - second most icetime amongst Karpat's forwards - and was named 2nd star of the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghoste
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad