Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Man bednard just makes saves. Can't wait to see him this year in camp

He's a giant! 6'5, currently listed at 205lbs on most sites. If you look at his stats, he always improves after his first year bumped in higher/more skilled competition. He grew up in Michigan and played pond hockey as a kid and is on pace to set a BGS record for GAA. His coaches and teammates credit his ability to stay calm and not get rattled (sound like a certain rookie goalie we're currently riding?). He has also taken steps to improve his skating and trains 3 days a week in off-seasons to improve his all around game.

Nice read on Bednard from just over a month ago, and he's been even better in the last 4-5 weeks.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
He's a giant! 6'5, currently listed at 205lbs on most sites. If you look at his stats, he always improves after his first year bumped in higher/more skilled competition. He grew up in Michigan and played pond hockey as a kid and is on pace to set a BGS record for GAA. His coaches and teammates credit his ability to stay calm and not get rattled (sound like a certain rookie goalie we're currently riding?). He has also taken steps to improve his skating and trains 3 days a week in off-seasons to improve his all around game.

Nice read on Bednard from just over a month ago, and he's been even better in the last 4-5 weeks.
Oh he's so damn great too, trying to keep him under the bar until Seattle makes their picks is gonna be a major bitch.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Oh he's so damn great too, trying to keep him under the bar until Seattle makes their picks is gonna be a major *****.

I think Bednard is protected, he will only have played 2 AHL seasons if he's even signed later this year and pretty sure it's 3 years of pro experience that is the determining factor.

My worry is Monty, think he has to be protected and if Bob is here and has a NMC/NTC, that may get interesting. Hoping Tallon can trick Bob into not having those clauses involved but we need some clarification on the situation.

Reactions: PSLguy

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL

Just another reason why Bob is not necessary. If you are convinced an experienced goalie is needed - and I am not- get a stopgap for 1-2 years.

I think a Monty/Lou combination will work. Lou 30 or so with plenty of rest and Monty the remainder. Whoever's hot at playoff time starts.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Sunday roundup:
So despite being the underdogs, Boston College wins and advances :) Hutsko scores the GWG again and is first star of the game again as they win 2-1.

Noel has a big game - 2+1 in an 8-2 win; Tippett held pointless.

Kinnunen is playing in the U20 playoffs - has an assist in his third game there.

Same as the Panthers, Springfield effectively ends whatever tiny spark of hope there might have been for the playoffs when they lost 4-0 (Driedger allowed 2 goals on 31 shots, the other two were empty netters.)

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Sunday roundup:
So despite being the underdogs, Boston College wins and advances :) Hutsko scores the GWG again and is first star of the game again as they win 2-1.

Noel has a big game - 2+1 in an 8-2 win; Tippett held pointless.

Kinnunen is playing in the U20 playoffs - has an assist in his third game there.

Same as the Panthers, Springfield effectively ends whatever tiny spark of hope there might have been for the playoffs when they lost 4-0 (Driedger allowed 2 goals on 31 shots, the other two were empty netters.)

Sounds like Hutsko is showing up in the meaningful games now?

Happy for Big Christmas. That's 81pts for the year no? Almost a 30pt increase over last year. Huge improvement and curious to see how he does in the playoffs.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Sounds like Hutsko is showing up in the meaningful games now?

Happy for Big Christmas. That's 81pts for the year no? Almost a 30pt increase over last year. Huge improvement and curious to see how he does in the playoffs.
That and/or he finally got the monkey off his back (I mean he was never a big goal-scorer but not scoring for 19 games has to be getting into your head.)

Yes, Noel showed huge improvement for the second year in the row (from 21 points in draft-1 year to 53 points in his draft year to 81 points in draft+1). Interestingly, his goals haven't gone up much (just six more goals than last year) but he nearly doubled his amount of assists - from watching the highlights, he has earned them. As meaningless as it is, his +/- is positive for the first time in the OHL (+16). He also now leads Oshawa in points, though Anthony Salinitri is producing at a higher rate and would probably lead the team had he played there the entire year.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That and/or he finally got the monkey off his back (I mean he was never a big goal-scorer but not scoring for 19 games has to be getting into your head.)

Yes, Noel showed huge improvement for the second year in the row (from 21 points in draft-1 year to 53 points in his draft year to 81 points in draft+1). Interestingly, his goals haven't gone up much (just six more goals than last year) but he nearly doubled his amount of assists - from watching the highlights, he has earned them. As meaningless as it is, his +/- is positive for the first time in the OHL (+16). He also now leads Oshawa in points, though Anthony Salinitri is producing at a higher rate and would probably lead the team had he played there the entire year.

Dont think Noel will ever be a huge goal scorer in pro leagues but if he continues to drive the net he will score off the rush/wing or clean up garbage goals. He's not super skilled in any facet but has a swiss army versatility to him (5 on 5/PP/PK scoring) and have belief he will be a good middle 6 winger if he continues to work hard on and off the ice.

Hope his physical side doesnt completely leave now that he's putting up more points because once he fills out/grows into his body, he could definitely strike fear in most players if he plays with an edge.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Dont think Noel will ever be a huge goal scorer in pro leagues but if he continues to drive the net he will score off the rush/wing or clean up garbage goals. He's not super skilled in any facet but has a swiss army versatility to him (5 on 5/PP/PK scoring) and have belief he will be a good middle 6 winger if he continues to work hard on and off the ice.

Hope his physical side doesnt completely leave now that he's putting up more points because once he fills out/grows into his body, he could definitely strike fear in most players if he plays with an edge.

Wouldn't bet on him not being a goal-scorer... Like you said, he will get those in the paint for sure, but he just said in that article I was talking earlier, that he is looking forward to this summer and to work especially on his hands in tight because that's where he'll get his chances in the future... He also will work again on his skating with his personal coach but on a more scheduled training... And that he will also go to the clinic that McDavid and Hall go every summer...

His coaches can't praise enough how he is so coachable and a very willing worker on-and-off the ice !

He will be a pro that's for sure... But I wouldn't pencil him as a middle-six forward just yet...

Let's be patient and see what Big Christmas has to give us in the end ! :)

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Overall, what should he focus on fixing in the AHL? We know the offense potential is there.

A few things...

1) I think he needs to get more efficient in his breakouts. He is so dynamic - but he gets away with things at the college level. He's always looking to either move the puck with his feet or make a creative stretch pass. He can do this at the college level consistently, but can get caught moving side to side or even backwards trying to make the perfect play. He's going to need to learn that he can't always get away with this at the next level. Sometimes, he's going to have to settle for a shorter, quicker pass or even chipping pucks out - and moving forward. This is, perhaps, the biggest reason I think he needs to go now. Not that it is a real problem or that he cannot learn quickly at the next level - I just think its important for his development to be pushed to improve and speed up (rather than stagnate and/or develop bad habits in a league he's simply outgrown)...

2) He can be more physical against the wall and in front of the net. Gildon is a big boy, but he doesn't always use his size to his advantage. He needs to get better at pinning his man and clearing the front of the net. He is often looking to collect the puck with his stick and move it - rather than just eliminating guys and letting his teammates move the puck. Part of that may be UNH's designed over-reliance on Gildon to skate or move pucks out of the zone...

3) He can get better away from the puck and with his coverage in his own end. It is his defensive game that needs the most development, obviously, including picking up loose forwards in his own end and positioning himself. He has the talent in his feet and the strength to be a steady defender. He'll need to be worked with to develop that game, however - and hopefully your AHL affiliate can do so without squelching his puck-moving ability and offensive contribution...

Essentially, all of the things you'd expect a young, offensively-gifted, first-year pro to need to clean up. I'd expect Gildon will both flash and struggle at times early in his AHL career - but he has always been a quick study and, by all accounts, a very coachable player who works hard to be better defensively. He'll never be among the NHL's best defensive defenseman - its just not his game - but he can definitely improve his positioning and man-on-man physicality and be good enough, allowing his offensive skills to really play up and flourish...

Once he gets comfortable at the professional level and starts moving pucks quickly and confidently he'll certainly be a treat to watch in that regard (as well as on the PP). He may make some mistakes from time to time and you may need to pair him with a reliable partner to cover for him when he jumps into plays or tries something a little too ambitious, but I think he has the makings of an NHL defenseman. With a lot of ceiling...

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
A few things...

1) I think he needs to get more efficient in his breakouts. He is so dynamic - but he gets away with things at the college level. He's always looking to either move the puck with his feet or make a creative stretch pass. He can do this at the college level consistently, but can get caught moving side to side or even backwards trying to make the perfect play. He's going to need to learn that he can't always get away with this at the next level. Sometimes, he's going to have to settle for a shorter, quicker pass or even chipping pucks out - and moving forward. This is, perhaps, the biggest reason I think he needs to go now. Not that it is a real problem or that he cannot learn quickly at the next level - I just think its important for his development to be pushed to improve and speed up (rather than stagnate and/or develop bad habits in a league he's simply outgrown)...

2) He can be more physical against the wall and in front of the net. Gildon is a big boy, but he doesn't always use his size to his advantage. He needs to get better at pinning his man and clearing the front of the net. He is often looking to collect the puck with his stick and move it - rather than just eliminating guys and letting his teammates move the puck. Part of that may be UNH's designed over-reliance on Gildon to skate or move pucks out of the zone...

3) He can get better away from the puck and with his coverage in his own end. It is his defensive game that needs the most development, obviously, including picking up loose forwards in his own end and positioning himself. He has the talent in his feet and the strength to be a steady defender. He'll need to be worked with to develop that game, however - and hopefully your AHL affiliate can do so without squelching his puck-moving ability and offensive contribution...

Essentially, all of the things you'd expect a young, offensively-gifted, first-year pro to need to clean up. I'd expect Gildon will both flash and struggle at times early in his AHL career - but he has always been a quick study and, by all accounts, a very coachable player who works hard to be better defensively. He'll never be among the NHL's best defensive defenseman - its just not his game - but he can definitely improve his positioning and man-on-man physicality and be good enough, allowing his offensive skills to really play up and flourish...

Once he gets comfortable at the professional level and starts moving pucks quickly and confidently he'll certainly be a treat to watch in that regard (as well as on the PP). He may make some mistakes from time to time and you may need to pair him with a reliable partner to cover for him when he jumps into plays or tries something a little too ambitious, but I think he has the makings of an NHL defenseman. With a lot of ceiling...

Always appreciate your time and write ups on Gildon.
So he could be a 2 way guy with a PP threat? I'll take that anyday. Could possibly replace some of Yandles production on the man advantage then.
Hopefully he can get up here soon enough to have at least one season to pick Yandles brain but 2 years in the AHL will be a good test for him.

Have a strong feeling Springfield will be a lot better next year, he wont have to come in and be "the guy" like he is at UNH, there should be enough depth there where he starts in the bottom two pairings and can be sheltered to fine tune the Dzone play but also show off his offensive skill.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Hunt scored the majority of his goals and points in his 5th junior season and was also undrafted. Expectations are way different in this case...I’m fully expecting Tippett to make the team or be a final cut next season. I don’t mind if he spends some time in the AHL at all, but he’s definitely a prospect that could jump right to NHL and have an impact.
Fair enough. As a Panthers fan I keep my expectations low these days, It helps lower the stress.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Well, a surprise out of UNH today - at the end of the season press conference Coach Souza mentions that Max Gildon "is planning to be back". Obviously a lot can change over the summer, but there is optimism that UNH can turn this season's ties and close losses into more wins with the deepest and most talented roster they've had in years returning next fall. I would imagine Florida will have something to say about this and will take a long look before signing off on this idea at their Prospects Camp, but who knows now...

FYI - Gildon does not turn 20 until May and is still three full years+ younger than Brady Keeper who just signed after his SO season. So I suppose there is no rush...

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
And Denisenko's KHL season is over this year... his team lost the 2nd round of the playoffs 1-4. Denisenko had two assists in today's game which they lost 4-5 in OT. Would have helped if his team didn't take stupid OT penalties... anyway.
With this game, Denisenko had 3 assists in 6 KHL playoff games this year... not bad. He also played one game in the MHL playoffs where he had one goal.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
And Denisenko's KHL season is over this year... his team lost the 2nd round of the playoffs 1-4. Denisenko had two assists in today's game which they lost 4-5 in OT. Would have helped if his team didn't take stupid OT penalties... anyway.
With this game, Denisenko had 3 assists in 6 KHL playoff games this year... not bad. He also played one game in the MHL playoffs where he had one goal.
Not bad production. Makes me feel better. If he puts it together he is going to be an incredible player.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Screenshot_20190323-223603_Samsung Internet.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad