Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Nothing better to do, decided to analyze the stats at this link to try to determine the best draft for the Panthers in a new way...in this case it's average games played per player drafted per man-season (that is, the total number of "seasons" a player was considered an NHL player, which I presume the site uses a player being on the roster counting as a season even if they never played an NHL game) and average points per player drafted per man-season. Using this analysis, best drafts for the Panthers (and mind you jury's still out on past 5 drafts):
for NHL players being selected:
2014 (10.3gp/s), 2006 (10.139gp/s), 2012 (8.25gp/s), 1995 (6.862gp/s), and 2004 (6.729gp/s)
for scoring punch:
2006 (4.667pts/s), 2014 (4.467pts/s), 2004 (2.782pts/s), 2013 (2.729pts/s), and 1997 (2.645pts/s)

Team wide, not including 2013-2017 drafts:
105.93 gp/player drafted
37.101 pts/player drafted

Including drafts through 2017:
100.31 gp/player drafted
37.262 points/player drafted (apparently some good scoring from recent drafts is skewing the average upward)

Wonder how other teams stack up, and whether anyone's bothered to rank teams' draft effectiveness this way?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Watching Heponiemi play in a preseason game. He's 3rd line right wing. The guy doesn't look out of place with men at all, and his hockey IQ is very good. Should have a great season, as long as he gets the ice-time.
Thanks for the info. Would love any future insights about him.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Watching Heponiemi play in a preseason game. He's 3rd line right wing. The guy doesn't look out of place with men at all, and his hockey IQ is very good. Should have a great season, as long as he gets the ice-time.

Wow you Guys up in north have already Pre-Season, that cuts the Time of waiting for Hockey near Half. i have to wait 2 more Weeks.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Almost a week old news but anyway, Kosov was traded to Spartak Moskva.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
In the Crease: What happens when Roberto Luongo Retires? The next generation of Panthers goalies.

In The Crease: Goaltending in Florida when Roberto Luongo Retires

It would be interisting, if im not speak about it since last Draft and FA Time. And your Story has a small but important mistake, you say the Panthers have a lot of Options when Veteran Goalie Contracts run out, if they can handle the Cap Situation.

First when on 3-5 Teams the starting Goalies not re-sign what will they search also new Starting Goalie. The Panthers have current a problem, yes the Team might Attract some Players.
But as i research and said before, there are 5-7 Teams the next 2 Years who can and will search for a new Starting Goalie if they dont have someone down the Pipeline. And the other Teams on my List have a much better Cap Situation.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
"Looking more long-term, the future face of the net in Florida might already be a part of the organization. Samuel Montembeault, 21, just completed his first professional season in the AHL with Florida’s affiliate. Drafted in the third round of 2015, many Floridians believe him to be the long-term solution in net. How long-term that may be is yet to be seen, but something tells me his readiness might not line up perfectly with Luongo’s retirement. He posted a .896 save percentage, and a 3.26 goals-against-average, in 41 games with the Springfield Thunderbirds last season."

and THIS is how NOT to judge a goalie. Generalized bull shit.

Low stats on a bottom feeding team? LOL yeah must be the goalie.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
and THIS is how NOT to judge a goalie. Generalized bull ****.

I wouldn´t judge only with the stats, but i know you also long into Hockey. I would see it that Way, as less you win, with also a normal or good preformence, also your confidence and believing fall.
I remember , saw an Interview with a Prospect Goalie from an other Team and he said how he get better and better and said. By winning Game after game and some serious you gain more and more believing in your abilitys and you dont have so much to think about. Maybe its not word by word correct but pretty near.

So i wouldnt judge it over the stats fact, but loosing all the Time doesnt help any Goalie in his development.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I wouldn´t judge only with the stats, but i know you also long into Hockey. I would see it that Way, as less you win, with also a normal or good preformence, also your confidence and believing fall.
I remember , saw an Interview with a Prospect Goalie from an other Team and he said how he get better and better and said. By winning Game after game and some serious you gain more and more believing in your abilitys and you dont have so much to think about. Maybe its not word by word correct but pretty near.

So i wouldnt judge it over the stats fact, but loosing all the Time doesnt help any Goalie in his development.
Unless he or she was the cause, losing all the time has no effect on a goalie's development.
Its like a donut in baseball...when were used to getting shelled, we look like all stars when we have some help.
Winning game after game on a good team isnt going to help you learn to deal with adversity.
It's gonna pad your stats, but then when a shit team picks you high in the draft you're a bust when your numbers don't translate?

Personally, a goalie can easily get thru every loss in the book because...goalies cant cross the red line to score. It's nearly impossible for a goalie to win a game by himself. He would have to have one hell of an accurate slapper from the other side of center ice with goalie mitts on to score on another goalie!
What Im saying is a goalie knows when he did his job.

Know what can throw a goalie off? When you're holding a shit team up and you know you did all you could do, then afterwards the coaches and GMs get together and talk about your stats without any consideration as to how they got there....THAT will funk someone up.

And as far as what goalies say in the interviews, tell me one guy that ain't Mike Smith that has the lack of class to give other than the cliche "i have to be better" instead of "my dumb shit defensman left the best player in the world open at the back door, what do you expect from me"

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
"Looking more long-term, the future face of the net in Florida might already be a part of the organization. Samuel Montembeault, 21, just completed his first professional season in the AHL with Florida’s affiliate. Drafted in the third round of 2015, many Floridians believe him to be the long-term solution in net. How long-term that may be is yet to be seen, but something tells me his readiness might not line up perfectly with Luongo’s retirement. He posted a .896 save percentage, and a 3.26 goals-against-average, in 41 games with the Springfield Thunderbirds last season."

and THIS is how NOT to judge a goalie. Generalized bull ****.

It's significantly worse save percentage and GAA than Sateri though and they played on the same team. It's absolutely true that Springfield's defence was a total disaster especially early on, but Montembeault still got outplayed by Sateri.

Anyway, article doesn't say Monty won't be Florida's starter one day; just says he's most likely a few years away. Which sounds right IMO, and it's okay - he's just 21; lots of goalies became NHL starters at 25 or later. But it complicates things for us since the clock is ticking on Luongo's career - he hasn't been a clear n.1 for two years now, splitting time pretty evently with Reimer mostly due to injuries. If we need a new starter next season (which could happen), Montembeault simply can't be the answer, not yet.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It's significantly worse save percentage and GAA than Sateri though and they played on the same team. It's absolutely true that Springfield's defence was a total disaster especially early on, but Montembeault still got outplayed by Sateri.

Anyway, article doesn't say Monty won't be Florida's starter one day; just says he's most likely a few years away. Which sounds right IMO, and it's okay - he's just 21; lots of goalies became NHL starters at 25 or later. But it complicates things for us since the clock is ticking on Luongo's career - he hasn't been a clear n.1 for two years now, splitting time pretty evently with Reimer mostly due to injuries. If we need a new starter next season (which could happen), Montembeault simply can't be the answer, not yet.
I mean Lundqvist's back ups have all had better numbers..would you take Talbot or Pavelec over Lundqvist?

What do you mean outplayed? Better stats?

If the defense is a disaster at all, i fail to see the logic in judging his stats. If he lookes out of position and made the ice look slippery..

Was he not in position? Reaction timing down? Letting things in most pro goalies wouldnt? Was he at any point a reason the team lost a game?

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I mean Lundqvist's back ups have all had better numbers..would you take Talbot or Pavelec over Lundqvist?

What do you mean outplayed? Better stats?
Lundquist's age is catching up to him too; still would take him over both of them.

How much better numbers though?
Pavelec had worse numbers. Raanta had better numbers in less games and he's an intriguing goalie to watch (sample-size but looked like a very good starter this year). Talbot did slightly better number-wise, but 92.2% vs. 92.6 and 2.21 GAA vs. 2.25 GAA is barely notable, especially since the starter has a heavier workload by the backup. I also want to see if said starter/backup can repeat his performance year to year, which Lundquist has proven that he can.

Long-term, Monty has more potential than Sateri. Still, comparing only this season:
92.7 save%, 2.30 GAA
vs.
89.6 save%, 3.25 GAA
- that's a major difference and Sateri only played twelve less games than Monty, and that was because he was called up. Team was also winning many more games with Sateri than with Montembeault and Sateri took over from Montembeault multiple times after he let in several goals. Monty had 13 wins in 41 games. Sateri had 14 wins in 29 games. Monty was pulled in six of his games (and wasn't pulled in others, like when he let in 6 goals in a 6-5 regulation loss). Sateri was pulled in one game.

Monty might be a star goalie one day. Right now he hasn't even proven himself in the AHL. He needs time and patient developement.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We get it CH, you really like Monty and have high hopes for him. Shouting about it on a internet forum isn't going to make him progress to the NHL level faster though.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
We get it CH, you really like Monty and have high hopes for him. Shouting about it on a internet forum isn't going to make him progress to the NHL level faster though.
WTF? Am I shouting? Only time I yelled about it was at Monday night's game when Nashville took out Pekka and we left Reimer in.

Don't railroad me like that brotha. Like I said ('not because I like his face' ) has nothing to do with him personally, but what I see what I watch him. Kids got the it.

Anyway, show me the same respect I show you. Read what I say, either back it up or debate it, but prove you read it either way. Thank you.

Lundquist's age is catching up to him too; still would take him over both of them.

How much better numbers though?
Pavelec had worse numbers. Raanta had better numbers in less games and he's an intriguing goalie to watch (sample-size but looked like a very good starter this year). Talbot did slightly better number-wise, but 92.2% vs. 92.6 and 2.21 GAA vs. 2.25 GAA is barely notable, especially since the starter has a heavier workload by the backup. I also want to see if said starter/backup can repeat his performance year to year, which Lundquist has proven that he can.

Long-term, Monty has more potential than Sateri. Still, comparing only this season:
92.7 save%, 2.30 GAA
vs.
89.6 save%, 3.25 GAA
- that's a major difference and Sateri only played twelve less games than Monty, and that was because he was called up. Team was also winning many more games with Sateri than with Montembeault and Sateri took over from Montembeault multiple times after he let in several goals. Monty had 13 wins in 41 games. Sateri had 14 wins in 29 games. Monty was pulled in six of his games (and wasn't pulled in others, like when he let in 6 goals in a 6-5 regulation loss). Sateri was pulled in one game.

Monty might be a star goalie one day. Right now he hasn't even proven himself in the AHL. He needs time and patient developement.
(I edited this into the last one you were probably halfway thru the above by the time I finished LOL): If the defense is a disaster at all, i fail to see the logic in judging his stats. If he looks out of position and made the ice look slippery...was he not in position? Reaction timing down? Letting things in most pro goalies wouldn't? Was he at any point a reason the team lost a game?

Over the 5 years, Lundqvist has been pulled a bunch after a few 5 goal games and I was pissed because he was the only one that shouldn't have been pulled. Of the 6 games you saw Monty being pulled, how many of those goals was he the only one out there? How many goals did you watch him let in that made you say "yeah he belongs on the bench" as opposed to "maybe the team will turn it around with the feeling of a fresh start"?

What's the stat for how many goals were on him and how many goals were because a skater missed his mark? Do they have that stat?

Who were his defensemen at those specific times and what were they doing? Without that explanation, the bare stats don't mean anything, and no it doesn't "level out". Some teams have 2 all star caliber defensemen while others don't have anything close.

I do have to say about Sateri, I thought his 2 best games were the game we lost to Washington (.913 sv %) and the game we beat Vancouver(.963 sv %). By the stats, the save percentages are further apart than Montembeault & Sateri's total numbers. (0.50% >0.31%).

Now how much better was Sateri in the game he had a .963 sv% than he was in the game he had a .913 sv %? Not at all, really. Significant difference in the numbers though.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
WTF? Am I shouting? Only time I yelled about it was at Monday night's game when Nashville took out Pekka and we left Reimer in.

Don't railroad me like that brotha. Like I said ('not because I like his face' ) has nothing to do with him personally, but what I see what I watch him. Kids got the it.

Anyway, show me the same respect I show you. Read what I say, either back it up or debate it, but prove you read it either way. Thank you.

(I edited this into the last one you were probably halfway thru the above by the time I finished LOL): If the defense is a disaster at all, i fail to see the logic in judging his stats. If he looks out of position and made the ice look slippery...was he not in position? Reaction timing down? Letting things in most pro goalies wouldn't? Was he at any point a reason the team lost a game?

Over the 5 years, Lundqvist has been pulled a bunch after a few 5 goal games and I was pissed because he was the only one that shouldn't have been pulled. Of the 6 games you saw Monty being pulled, how many of those goals was he the only one out there? How many goals did you watch him let in that made you say "yeah he belongs on the bench" as opposed to "maybe the team will turn it around with the feeling of a fresh start"?

What's the stat for how many goals were on him and how many goals were because a skater missed his mark? Do they have that stat?

Who were his defensemen at those specific times and what were they doing? Without that explanation, the bare stats don't mean anything, and no it doesn't "level out". Some teams have 2 all star caliber defensemen while others don't have anything close.

I do have to say about Sateri, I thought his 2 best games were the game we lost to Washington (.913 sv %) and the game we beat Vancouver(.963 sv %). By the stats, the save percentages are further apart than Montembeault & Sateri's total numbers. (0.50% >0.31%).

Now how much better was Sateri in the game he had a .963 sv% than he was in the game he had a .913 sv %? Not at all, really. Significant difference in the numbers though.
Comparing save% in two games is meaningless, but 29 games by Sateri and 41 games by Monty is a decent sample when you can make some conclusions. They're playing with the same forward group behind the same defence; sure different guys will screw up differently in various games, but at 30-40 games each, it should average out enough to make them comparable. 3% difference in save% and 0.95 in GAA is too big a difference to call it mere "chance".

Again, this is nothing against Monty as our goalie of the future - but he isn't ready now and he might not be for a while.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Comparing save% in two games is meaningless, but 29 games by Sateri and 41 games by Monty is a decent sample when you can make some conclusions. They're playing with the same forward group behind the same defence; sure different guys will screw up differently in various games, but at 30-40 games each, it should average out enough to make them comparable. 3% difference in save% and 0.95 in GAA is too big a difference to call it mere "chance".

Again, this is nothing against Monty as our goalie of the future - but he isn't ready now and he might not be for a while.
I really hate to come off as sbarky but if you think i was comparing save percentages...at all...then you are horribly missing my point.

If you're going to only pick one point to refute, and nothing else, at least refute a point i was actually making?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

The difference is a small sample size of training camp, some scrimmage and preseason games, compared to a full AHL season + his junior record. Any player regardless of the position they play, can look good on a small sample size. We wouldn't have signed Hutch if 1) management believed Monty can step in at the NHL level, and 2) management believed that Monty is ready to be an undisputed number 1 at the AHL level.

He's not ready yet and there's nothing wrong with that, he's still young and goalies tend to break through closer to their mid 20s anyway. No reason to get worked up that we're ruining his development or something.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I really hate to come off as sbarky but if you think i was comparing save percentages...at all...then you are horribly missing my point.

If you're going to only pick one point to refute, and nothing else, at least refute a point i was actually making?
Yes, you're pointing out specific defensemen at various situations etc. etc... And hey, maybe the 6 goal game was actually a better performance by Monty than some of his other games.
But explain this to me - how comes Sateri is less affected by the bad defence than Montembeault? Because all the data suggests that he is, as reflected by the number of goals he gives up, the number of times he had to be pulled, the number of wins to his name. Does the team play so much more aggresively with Monty for some reason? If so, their coach is an idiot as it's clearly not working.
You can say Monty got screwed by bad defense in games X,Y,Z - and that would work if the difference between their numbers wasn't so big.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
The difference is a small sample size of training camp, some scrimmage and preseason games, compared to a full AHL season + his junior record. Any player regardless of the position they play, can look good on a small sample size. We wouldn't have signed Hutch if 1) management believed Monty can step in at the NHL level, and 2) management believed that Monty is ready to be an undisputed number 1 at the AHL level.

He's not ready yet and there's nothing wrong with that, he's still young and goalies tend to break through closer to their mid 20s anyway. No reason to get worked up that we're ruining his development or something.
Worked up? No, that doesn't work me up as much as someone belittling me. Hope you're not trying to make me out to be childish for supporting my opinion.

Back to the substance if you don't mind, the only difference in this case would be comparing instances that I have seen to a list of numbers related to what I haven't seen.

I, and seemingly rightfully so, won't accept that the guy looks the way he does only when CHGoalie is watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad