Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
That's like saying all drummers in bands are head cases. Speaking as a former drummer in a few bands, you may have a point..... lol. We aren't crazy, just misunderstood. :D
It's a tough position in soccer, lacrosse, or hockey. You get some of the glory when you win and much of blame if you lose. Just look at guys that come out of nowhere and have an off the chart year and then fade into obscurity. You have got to be extremely mentally strong to consolidate your talent on a consistent basis as a goalie.

I have a friend who's son is 40 and is playing in a very successful rock band that tours the globe. He's a good guy and very grounded as he hasn't let "the road" control his emotions. It's a great gig if you have strong management and leadership within the band. This means knowing when to say "no" to the record company exec's who will burn you out and leave you out by the curb as trash to make a quick buck. ;)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Tippett with 2 assists tonight in a 5-2 loss, his Steelheads have now lost 5 in a row but he's collected 3 goals and 4 helpers in those 5 losses. 19 goals, 14 assists for 33 pts in 21 games

Noel with 2 primary assists tonight in a 4-3 win, now has 16 goals, 16 assists for 32 pts in 26 games. He's collected 2 goals and 4 assists in his last 5 games.

Both of the RW prospects continue to produce.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Tippett with 2 assists tonight in a 5-2 loss, his Steelheads have now lost 5 in a row but he's collected 3 goals and 4 helpers in those 5 losses. 19 goals, 14 assists for 33 pts in 21 games

Noel with 2 primary assists tonight in a 4-3 win, now has 16 goals, 16 assists for 32 pts in 26 games. He's collected 2 goals and 4 assists in his last 5 games.

Both of the RW prospects continue to produce.
That's great because Denisenko kinda isn't. So far just one point in 4 VHL games. Again, it's still early and the other kids that play in the VHL aren't doing much either with one or two exceptions, but I really hope he figures it out soon.

College roundup:
Gildon no points,, 2 SOG, -1 in a 1-1 tie.
Hutsko has two goals in a 4-1 win - finally! :) Hopefully this means the floodgates have opened. 1st star of the game, 4 SOG, +2, 11 points in 11 games (3+8). Scored the GWG too - they were down one and he scored goals 1 and 2. Good night for him :)
Inamoto had an assist - his first point in 15 games. I know this guy projects as a defensive Dman in the NHL but even most of those produced at least okay numbers in juniors/college. Still plenty of time for him so let's just leave it at that.
Krygier hasn't dressed up for multiple games in the row now. Wonder what's the deal with him but most likely just the odd man out.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
That's great because Denisenko kinda isn't. So far just one point in 4 VHL games. Again, it's still early and the other kids that play in the VHL aren't doing much either with one or two exceptions, but I really hope he figures it out soon.

College roundup:
Gildon no points,, 2 SOG, -1 in a 1-1 tie.
Hutsko has two goals in a 4-1 win - finally! :) Hopefully this means the floodgates have opened. 1st star of the game, 4 SOG, +2, 11 points in 11 games (3+8). Scored the GWG too - they were down one and he scored goals 1 and 2. Good night for him :)
Inamoto had an assist - his first point in 15 games. I know this guy projects as a defensive Dman in the NHL but even most of those produced at least okay numbers in juniors/college. Still plenty of time for him so let's just leave it at that.
Krygier hasn't dressed up for multiple games in the row now. Wonder what's the deal with him but most likely just the odd man out.

I share your worries about Denisenko, he was touted as a wizard with the puck with blistering speed and hands.
He was also deemed a project but the constant switching of teams/leagues has to be a factor, constantly learning or remembering what system is in place from each coach. He's still young but hoping he can find a groove in the 2nd half of the season.

Keep up the good work! :)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Springfield and Montembeault with a 4-2 win :) Our hopefully GOTF stops 23 of 25 shots, Monty's record improves to 9-2-0, 91.4 save%, 2.75 GAA. His nine wins are good for third best in the league, his save% 8th best amongst goalies with at least 10 GP.
Greco is red hot with 2 goals - he has five goals in the past 2 games and was voted 1st star of the game in both contests; now has 18 points in 20 games. Jacob McDonalds one goal (3rd star; 14 points in 17 games, +8). Borgstrom, Hawryluk, McCoshen had an assist each.

College!
Bednard made 26 saves on 28 shots and added yet another win :) Still trying to compete with Monty from afar with a 9-2-1 record (1 as in tie) for the season, accompanied with a very respectable 92.5 save% and 1.75 GAA; 2nd best GAA amongst goalies with 10+ games played and 6th best save% amongst goalies with 10+ GP. He's been quite consistent too - only two games where his save% dipped below 90% (one of them that really bad outing when he let in five goals on 17 shots).

Inamoto with two assists. Apparently I need to criticize our prospects more often... :sarcasm:
Hutsko held pointless in a 0-0 game.
Gildon also pointless, -1 in a 3-1 loss. He was on the ice for the one goal his team scored, which came on the PP, but he was also responsible for the penalty that led to the third goal (he had 6 PIMs in total for holding, hitting after the whistle and cross check).

For the first time in the season, Heponiemi was pointless for two straight games in Liiga.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Springfield and Montembeault with a 4-2 win :) Our hopefully GOTF stops 23 of 25 shots, Monty's record improves to 9-2-0, 91.4 save%, 2.75 GAA. His nine wins are good for third best in the league, his save% 8th best amongst goalies with at least 10 GP.
Greco is red hot with 2 goals - he has five goals in the past 2 games and was voted 1st star of the game in both contests; now has 18 points in 20 games. Jacob McDonalds one goal (3rd star; 14 points in 17 games, +8). Borgstrom, Hawryluk, McCoshen had an assist each.

College!
Bednard made 26 saves on 28 shots and added yet another win :) Still trying to compete with Monty from afar with a 9-2-1 record (1 as in tie) for the season, accompanied with a very respectable 92.5 save% and 1.75 GAA; 2nd best GAA amongst goalies with 10+ games played and 6th best save% amongst goalies with 10+ GP. He's been quite consistent too - only two games where his save% dipped below 90% (one of them that really bad outing when he let in five goals on 17 shots).

Inamoto with two assists. Apparently I need to criticize our prospects more often... :sarcasm:
Hutsko held pointless in a 0-0 game.
Gildon also pointless, -1 in a 3-1 loss. He was on the ice for the one goal his team scored, which came on the PP, but he was also responsible for the penalty that led to the third goal (he had 6 PIMs in total for holding, hitting after the whistle and cross check).

For the first time in the season, Heponiemi was pointless for two straight games in Liiga.
Thanks for the update

Let’s ship Petro out and get McDonald up here. Not sure what else that guy has to do to earn a roster spot.

Reactions: klabob

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Who was the other tweener Dman we had that was an AHL god but an NHL bust? CHGoalie loved him. Hope that McDonald doesn’t turn out to be that.
He exactly wasn't a bust, he wasn't bad whenever he got time (esp. for us), but he did get what McDonald looks to be getting. Good call.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
That bum Hawryluk leads Thunderbirds in points, tied for 6th in the league in points, 4th most assists in the league, 3rd most power play assists.

That would mean T.J. Brennan is also an NHL Defensman, cause a lot of Players, have good numbers year after year in the AHL but never see the NHL.
Most of the Times we see Hawryluk plays NHL, its not much more like the Grinding Game.

So cause Hqeryluk have a good Year in the AHL, all the Players who had great Numbers should play in the NHL?

toko77

Dec 3, 2018
That would mean T.J. Brennan is also an NHL Defensman, cause a lot of Players, have good numbers year after year in the AHL but never see the NHL.
Most of the Times we see Hawryluk plays NHL, its not much more like the Grinding Game.

So cause Hqeryluk have a good Year in the AHL, all the Players who had great Numbers should play in the NHL?

I watch most of the TBird's games. Hawryluk hasn't played with Borgstrom for three games. He (Borgie) is struggling so was put on a line with two vets Thompson and Greco. Hawryluk has been mostly with Ang and Bajkov/Rep. Whoever plays with #8 usually gets points. (Poor man Trocheck?). PP has been rolling for the TBirds (right now #1). As a whole, the D are a MUCH improved lot (from last year), with more skill to make the good pass and still have the physicality to make an impression on the visiting O. The last couple games has seen all 4 lines bring a great fore-check but Kinnear historically plays his vets more than the prospects. (Greco, Thompson, Lowry, Horvat, Zolnierczyk, and Farnham on PK)

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
I watch most of the TBird's games. Hawryluk hasn't played with Borgstrom for three games. He (Borgie) is struggling so was put on a line with two vets Thompson and Greco. Hawryluk has been mostly with Ang and Bajkov/Rep. Whoever plays with #8 usually gets points. (Poor man Trocheck?). PP has been rolling for the TBirds (right now #1). As a whole, the D are a MUCH improved lot (from last year), with more skill to make the good pass and still have the physicality to make an impression on the visiting O. The last couple games has seen all 4 lines bring a great fore-check but Kinnear historically plays his vets more than the prospects. (Greco, Thompson, Lowry, Horvat, Zolnierczyk, and Farnham on PK)
Can you elaborate a bit on that? What seems to be the problem, lack of physicality?

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013

Lol, not what I’m saying. I would not compare TJ Brennan to Hawryluk.

Are you saying if Borgström has a good season in the AHL awe shouldn’t bring him up because then he’s be like Brennan?

Not every player that does well in the AHL is bad in the NHL.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Damn if he’s struggling with 18 points in 20 games we have a hell of a prospect.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Damn if he’s struggling with 18 points in 20 games we have a hell of a prospect.
He had two four-point games that kinda mess with his totals...
He hasn't scored in the past 13 games and has just 7 points while averaging 1.84 shot/GP over that stretch. Not saying he won't be a brilliant player, just that he might need a full year in the AHL (which is completely fine and not that unusual even for first round picks).

Reactions: CHGoalie27

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
He had two four-point games that kinda mess with his totals...
He hasn't scored in the past 13 games and has just 7 points while averaging 1.84 shot/GP over that stretch. Not saying he won't be a brilliant player, just that he might need a full year in the AHL (which is completely fine and not that unusual even for first round picks).
Agreed I have no problem keeping him down there. We did the same with Trocheck. 2 four point games show that he can be a game breaker. Just needs to work on consistency. Look at Eeli tolvanen. He only had 11 points in 21 games and he just went up to the NHL.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Doesn't shock me that Borgstrom has cooled off. Teams learn that when you lay the body on a rookie from the beginning of the game, it takes the wind from their sails. There's a reason Tallon say's he has to get bigger to be able to compete in the NHL. He may have all the moves but he is a guy with average speed and an easy target to knock around.

Jayce looks like he is finally learning that his role as an agitator is over if he wants to remain healthy enough to challenge for a spot with the Cats. He's too talented and skilled to get caught up in that nonsense if he wants a hockey career. Hopefully somebody doesn't take a run at him from some of his past sins which included running his mouth too much. :)

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Doesn't shock me that Borgstrom has cooled off. Teams learn that when you lay the body on a rookie from the beginning of the game, it takes the wind from their sails. There's a reason Tallon say's he has to get bigger to be able to compete in the NHL. He may have all the moves but he is a guy with average speed and an easy target to knock around.

Jayce looks like he is finally learning that his role as an agitator is over if he wants to remain healthy enough to challenge for a spot with the Cats. He's too talented and skilled to get caught up in that nonsense if he wants a hockey career. Hopefully somebody doesn't take a run at him from some of his past sins which included running his mouth too much. :)

Very much agree. After the serious lows of last year, I feel he has turned a corner. Being healthy is a big part of it, especially between the ears. His talent and hockey sense can come to the forefront when he's not screwing himself into the ground, wondering why everyone is against him. I saw him over the summer and talk with his dad pretty regularly, and he's in a better place and he has made up his mind to just put his head down (not literally with his yapping...haha) and play the hockey he knows he's capable of. I lurk around these parts without ever posting, so I thought I'd "two cent" something when it was appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad