Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
Doesn't shock me that Borgstrom has cooled off. Teams learn that when you lay the body on a rookie from the beginning of the game, it takes the wind from their sails. There's a reason Tallon say's he has to get bigger to be able to compete in the NHL. He may have all the moves but he is a guy with average speed and an easy target to knock around.

Jayce looks like he is finally learning that his role as an agitator is over if he wants to remain healthy enough to challenge for a spot with the Cats. He's too talented and skilled to get caught up in that nonsense if he wants a hockey career. Hopefully somebody doesn't take a run at him from some of his past sins which included running his mouth too much. :)

Also, love Borgstrom. Give him time and a high carb diet and you've got a player

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Very much agree. After the serious lows of last year, I feel he has turned a corner. Being healthy is a big part of it, especially between the ears. His talent and hockey sense can come to the forefront when he's not screwing himself into the ground, wondering why everyone is against him. I saw him over the summer and talk with his dad pretty regularly, and he's in a better place and he has made up his mind to just put his head down (not literally with his yapping...haha) and play the hockey he knows he's capable of. I lurk around these parts without ever posting, so I thought I'd "two cent" something when it was appropriate.
Always appreciate insight around here!

toko77

Dec 3, 2018
Can you elaborate a bit on that? What seems to be the problem, lack of physicality?
No one runs Borgie over, but when he tries to dangle thru the opposition, he often loses possession. Like many other coaching approaches, he is being asked to play with different wingers - it takes time to adjust and get the needed chemistry. I am guessing he is a little frustrated that he is not scoring more goals which is a change from college hockey. He is showing his good hockey IQ and will have a good year.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

No surprise there really. Noel didn't make it this year (he's Canadian so a lot of competition); no info yet on Gildon and Denisenko.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Lol, not what I’m saying. I would not compare TJ Brennan to Hawryluk.

Are you saying if Borgström has a good season in the AHL awe shouldn’t bring him up because then he’s be like Brennan?

Not every player that does well in the AHL is bad in the NHL.

I think we could discuss now endless does this mean half full or half empty.
You have a Point there you can´t compare a Forward with a Defender thats two different kind of Games get played.

But is he the right Player to call up and can he bring in something different. It is his first Point Game Season, Before he Injured himself in taking stupid fights. And i think i doesnt must tell you all about this you covered this part up for a long time and was or still be a Jayce Fan.

And yes i would give Borgstrom and Hawryluk the same standards, if Borgstrom not good enough in the AHL or have Points but his Game not looking good i would stay him in the AHL. And that is now also my Point on Jayce. If he is that good why we doesnt keep him in the Team, from the Beginning. A few here on the Board said the same thing Coach Boughner said, i await from the challenger that they impress me. So why Jayce doesnt show this kind of Game in the Pre-Season.

Other and myself included expect Borgstrom to play in the NHL this Season, but in the Preseason you saw he doesnt have it to 100% what its need to play in the NHL. And so does Jayce otherwise he would be in Florida like Lamminko.

When he can keep up this Numbers this Years, why not give him a Chance next Pre-Season, the competition for Spots getting tighter in Florida.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Very much agree. After the serious lows of last year, I feel he has turned a corner. Being healthy is a big part of it, especially between the ears. His talent and hockey sense can come to the forefront when he's not screwing himself into the ground, wondering why everyone is against him. I saw him over the summer and talk with his dad pretty regularly, and he's in a better place and he has made up his mind to just put his head down (not literally with his yapping...haha) and play the hockey he knows he's capable of. I lurk around these parts without ever posting, so I thought I'd "two cent" something when it was appropriate.

I would say im not against him, but People want him to call up in his first good Year. But its not him alone who have a good Year the whole Team plays complete different. When he is so good, why doesnt he prove it already in the Pre-Season?
Thats is my Question and thats why im still sceptical. If you wanna get your Chance prove it but then prove it from the Beginning till the end. I hope he getting better and learned his Way, he is young.

But from 64 Games and 46 Games Season to his first real good Year, doesnt say me, he is the Guy. Let him prove the whole Season and when someone its needed lets call him up for a Game, so he can prove or show. But to keep him in Florida, its to early for that.

Reactions: Senorsmooth

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland
I would say im not against him, but People want him to call up in his first good Year. But its not him alone who have a good Year the whole Team plays complete different. When he is so good, why doesnt he prove it already in the Pre-Season?
Thats is my Question and thats why im still sceptical. If you wanna get your Chance prove it but then prove it from the Beginning till the end. I hope he getting better and learned his Way, he is young.

But from 64 Games and 46 Games Season to his first real good Year, doesnt say me, he is the Guy. Let him prove the whole Season and when someone its needed lets call him up for a Game, so he can prove or show. But to keep him in Florida, its to early for that.

Oh, I did not mean that a large group of people were legitimately against him, more of his perspective of the situation (except for a bluedog or bluegod guy on this site last year.... man, he was angry). I also agree as far as consistent performance being the arbiter of moving up to the big club. My point was that he is now in the right head space to just put in his effort and not focus on results or perceived slights. I will say he did have some beef with Hunt called up twice in the last two years ahead of him. Anyways, I was not making a pointed statement towards any one here.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
My boy still standing a top the AHL's win count race with 9 and is 3rd so far, 3 wins out of first, despite playing 5 and 4 games less than the top 2 goalies.

AHL All Star Game I hope??

Reactions: Senorsmooth

Senorsmooth

Wheels is my captain
Jun 27, 2014
Manitoba's Parkland

His pre-seasons have been pretty weird the last couple years. From breaking his hand in a pre-season fight with Jakob freakin' Vrana a couple years ago, being about 60% last year and only playing one pre-season game before being assigned to the AHL, he hasn't really had a chance to establish a foothold. Once again, I'm with you. The Thunderbirds are a much better team this year, with much better Dmen making good first passes more often than not. This helps Jayce. He makes good players better as a rule, but he doesn't excel at making marginal players good.

Reactions: GermanPanther

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Denisenko with his first VHL goal yesterday - 5-on-5, in the final thirty-ish seconds of the game, he made a decent pass to a teammate who then shot and Denisenko was perfectly positioned for the goalie's juicy rebound and put it under the crossbar (his team lost 3-2 after his coach pulled the goalie earlier when down 2-1). Denisenko now has 2 points in his first 6 VHL games. Hopefully his icetime keeps increasing (got over 14 minutes last night).

BTW there are full VHL games on youtube if you don't mind the russian...

Last edited:
Reactions: CHGoalie27

16Skippy

Sep 12, 2009
I’m getting confused with these Russian leagues. Is VHL better than MHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad