Prospect Info: 2018-2019 In The System: Springfield Thunderbirds, CHL, NCAA, Europe, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hutsko has a PP goal. 4+8 in 13 games.

Noel scores a short-handed empty netter. 17+17 in 29 games.

Sounds like Hutsko is a worker and the goals are starting to come for him.

Was just gonna post Noel's empty netter, was worried he was snakebit the last couple games but he hasn't gone more than 2 games without a point all year and only had two different 2 game pointless streaks earlier in the season (both in October)

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Been the best player on the ice for a while now. Borg is struggling
Wonderful. Do you think he gets a shot in the NHL this year? I've seen chatter regarding him playing less of a "pest"-style than in years past, so with that element of his game reduced, how does he project at the NHL level?

I’m getting confused with these Russian leagues. Is VHL better than MHL?
MHL = juniors (CHL/USHL)
VHL = minors (AHL/ECHL)

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Tonight's game to be broadcast on facebook?

Who wants to bet they play the goalie nobody wants to see?

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
College - Gildon gets one assist, -1 in his team's 3-2 win; he now has 12 points in 14 games - leads his team in points and has the 4th best .ppg pace amongst U20 defencemen (8th best amongst U21). To emphasize how good he's been offensively, he has been directly involved (collected points) in nearly 38 percent of his team's goals - amongst U21 NCAA defencemen, only Adam Fox (50%, a year older), Dante Fabbro (43%, 2016 first rounder) and Quinton Hughes (40%, 2018, five months younger than Gildon) were more involved in their team's offence.

No points from Inamoto, Hutsko; Krygier still not playing. Bednard makes 21 saves on 24 shots in a 3-3 tie (one PP goal) and saved both goals in a shootout - his new record is 9-2-2.

Heponiemi held pointless for three straight games. Kinnunnen continues going between playing in Liiga (often as the 7D with less than 8 minutes per night) and Mestis.

In the OHL, Tippett and Noel face each other with Noel getting one assist.

In the WHL, Nassen is doing well enough as an overager; should get a contract with Springfield next year.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
College - Gildon gets one assist, -1 in his team's 3-2 win; he now has 12 points in 14 games - leads his team in points and has the 4th best .ppg pace amongst U20 defencemen (8th best amongst U21). To emphasize how good he's been offensively, he has been directly involved (collected points) in nearly 38 percent of his team's goals - amongst U21 NCAA defencemen, only Adam Fox (50%, a year older), Dante Fabbro (43%, 2016 first rounder) and Quinton Hughes (40%, 2018, five months younger than Gildon) were more involved in their team's offence.

No points from Inamoto, Hutsko; Krygier still not playing. Bednard makes 21 saves on 24 shots in a 3-3 tie (one PP goal) and saved both goals in a shootout - his new record is 9-2-2.

Heponiemi held pointless for three straight games. Kinnunnen continues going between playing in Liiga (often as the 7D with less than 8 minutes per night) and Mestis.

In the OHL, Tippett and Noel face each other with Noel getting one assist.

In the WHL, Nassen is doing well enough as an overager; should get a contract with Springfield next year.
Excellent report and Gildon is doing all this on a kinda crappy team

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Heponiemi with 2 pretty goals today.
Absolutely gorgeous.
The first one, unreal hands:

The second, he's shooting from behind the net. He hits the goalie's back/arm on purpose and the puck goes right into the net. Awesome goal as well.

Hepo now with 24 points in 27 GP (8 goals, 16 assists), just one point behind his team's best producer; 6-11th in points in Liiga and 3rd-8th in assists; plus he had the lowest TOI of the guys with the same amount of points or more (he is "only" averaging 15 minutes per game). This was also his second two-goal game of the season (the first came about three weeks ago against HIFK - the same team as today. I guess Hepo likes playing against them :D ).

In other news, Kinnunen played on the 3rd pairing in Liiga today (TOI 11:39). 0 points, 3 SOG, wasn't on ice for any goals in a 5-4 SO win.

Panthers-unrelated but not really, Veini Vehviläinen is still having one freaking amazing season in Liiga - 94.09 SV%, just 1.36 GAA and nearly 82% (!) win percentage, both good for comfortably 1st in the league (also has four SO). Yes, his numbers are undoubtedly boosted by playing on a strong Karpat team; still.... We needed a goalie... so we drafted Justin Schutz, who might be what, a middle 6 forward five years down the road if we get really lucky? I know we had posters here especially hoping to draft Vehviläinen. Ah well.

Last edited:

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017

Interesting.
Decent numbers in the KHL; I'm surprised he only played ten games with the Hershey Bears (WSH affiliate) before being put on unconditional waivers/moving to us. I read he broke his hand on WSH forum but he should be healthy now... sounds kinda fast to give up on a guy.
Wonder what happened there. Supposedly some rumors he wants to go back to the KHL...

Possibly he wants to play in the NHL and Washington doesn't have a spot for him, so we want to get a closer look before deciding whether to sign him?

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Interesting.
Decent numbers in the KHL; I'm surprised he only played ten games with the Hershey Bears (WSH affiliate) before being put on unconditional waivers/moving to us. I read he broke his hand on WSH forum but he should be healthy now... sounds kinda fast to give up on a guy.
Wonder what happened there. Supposedly some rumors he wants to go back to the KHL...

Possibly he wants to play in the NHL and Washington doesn't have a spot for him, so we want to get a closer look before deciding whether to sign him?
Doesn't speak any English and only had Goalie Samsonov to translate in Hershey. Tough mental adjustment for a 26 yr old to the AHL. I would be surprised if he sticks around as it's a lonely world in the AHL without any fellow countrymen on the team. Will have to really shine to earn a contract. :)

Reactions: CHGoalie27

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Doesn't speak any English and only had Goalie Samsonov to translate in Hershey. Tough mental adjustment for a 26 yr old to the AHL. I would be surprised if he sticks around as it's a lonely world in the AHL without any fellow countrymen on the team. Will have to really shine to earn a contract. :)
Well he doesn't have anyone to translate in Springfield (unless maybe Borgstrom or Repo speak some Russian? Too bad Mamin left).
We do have several Russian-speaking guys in the NHL but he'd need to get there first.

It can be tough for the Europeans. Like, I love Filip Chytil but listening to his post-draft interview I was positively cringing... so obvious he only learned some phrases and didn't know what they were asking him half the time. Anyway we could use a guy for our 2nd or 3rd line... would be nice if Shumakov was the solution. Costs us nothing to try him so why the hell not.

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I would hope people around him would go extra out of their way to try n make him feel at home

Reactions: Brokin

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Well he doesn't have anyone to translate in Springfield (unless maybe Borgstrom or Repo speak some Russian? Too bad Mamin left).
We do have several Russian-speaking guys in the NHL but he'd need to get there first.

It can be tough for the Europeans. Like, I love Filip Chytil but listening to his post-draft interview I was positively cringing... so obvious he only learned some phrases and didn't know what they were asking him half the time. Anyway we could use a guy for our 2nd or 3rd line... would be nice if Shumakov was the solution. Costs us nothing to try him so why the hell not.
lol Chytil, he's great though. Can't wait to see what he'll be in 2 years.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
lol Chytil, he's great though. Can't wait to see what he'll be in 2 years.
Agreed.
Also looking forward to see Necas develop. Doing pretty well in the AHL.. he was awesome in the Extraliga playoffs despite the fact that he clearly lacked physicality and the opponents were repeatedly trying to murder him. Turned around several playoff games and was an important part of Kometa's two cups.

(Speaking of the AHL, Mascherin is doing very well there :( Damn him and whoever messed up signing him.)

Reactions: CHGoalie27

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Excellent report and Gildon is doing all this on a kinda crappy team

Gildon even better tonight as UNH completes the sweep over Dartmouth tonight, 4-0. Finishes with 1-1--2 and was +3. Banged up his shoulder on his goal and missed a shift, but returned and showed no ill effects. Scary moment for a UNH team that is already down three defenseman (including tonight both Maass and Wyse) and just returned a fourth who is still limited by an injury of his own.

Gildon did even more heavy lifting than normal skating alongside the banged up returnee, three FR and a forward, leading UNH to its first shutout in over a year...

He could have had at least two more points with one incredibly third period shift where he danced along the blueline to the half wall twice in a 10 second span putting Grade-A chances on teammates sticks in the slot, followed immediately by collecting a puck in the neutral zone and skating through three opponents for a chance of his own...

He also had a pass lead him out of the O-zone later on the period, which he collected, carried back to his own blueline, spun away from a defender and threaded a long stretch pass for a breakaway chance the other way.

Tonight was everything you expect from Gildon (a ton of minutes, great stick, moving pucks, creating chances, etc) and he sure looked like a player who should be on the WJC roster...

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Stillman with his 2nd fight in a week, third of the year. May have a decent gritty LD in the making.
Greco ends up with 2 goals and an assist, MacDonald with two assists. Hawryluk gets another helper as well.
Horton and Zolnierczyk with the other goals.
They blew a 4-2 lead late, the 4th SPR goal was an EN with 2 mins left.
Charlotte scored two at 19:04 and 19:30 of the 3rd and win it in OT 5-4. Ouch! Not a good weekend for SPR.

Last edited:

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Gildon even better tonight as UNH completes the sweep over Dartmouth tonight, 4-0. Finishes with 1-1--2 and was +3. Banged up his shoulder on his goal and missed a shift, but returned and showed no ill effects. Scary moment for a UNH team that is already down three defenseman (including tonight both Maass and Wyse) and just returned a fourth who is still limited by an injury of his own.

Gildon did even more heavy lifting than normal skating alongside the banged up returnee, three FR and a forward, leading UNH to its first shutout in over a year...

He could have had at least two more points with one incredibly third period shift where he danced along the blueline to the half wall twice in a 10 second span putting Grade-A chances on teammates sticks in the slot, followed immediately by collecting a puck in the neutral zone and skating through three opponents for a chance of his own...

He also had a pass lead him out of the O-zone later on the period, which he collected, carried back to his own blueline, spun away from a defender and threaded a long stretch pass for a breakaway chance the other way.

Tonight was everything you expect from Gildon (a ton of minutes, great stick, moving pucks, creating chances, etc) and he sure looked like a player who should be on the WJC roster...

What are the weaknesses he would need to work on? Are we looking at a two way D or more offensive D?
Great review, appreciate it! :cheers:

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
What are the weaknesses he would need to work on? Are we looking at a two way D or more offensive D?
Great review, appreciate it! :cheers:

He will always be more of an offensive defenseman - but he has expressed a desire to be a dependable two-way defenseman and has gotten much better in his own end. According to his coaches he is extremely coachable and working hard to achieve that goal every day in practice...

His weaknesses currently would be a desire to push pucks whenever he can - which occasionally lead to turnovers or getting caught up ice. Though he has dramatically improved in this area, I have no doubt that past mistakes like this are what kept him off the WJC team (similar to their concerns about Walsh). If he played on a better team and was putting up 1.5 PPG and getting more looks his improvement would be obvious...

In his own end he needs to get more physical along the wall and in front of the net. Especially at his size. And show a willingness to settle for the simple play when breaking pucks out - at times he is too confident in his own abilities and looks for gamebreaking opportunities whenever he can. Many times he'll spring chances out of nothing, and I would never want to reign in such a difference maker, but there are occasions when situation dictates simple, he tries to hard to make a play and the puck stays in. Everything he needs to improve on is entirely within his control as all the skills and physical traits are there.

A while ago I was asked for an NHL comp - and I didn't want to over or undersell him by making one. That said, at this age he reminds me a lot of a young Keith Yandle - who was supposed to follow his older brother Bryan to UNH (back when the Wildcats were a power) but was forced to the Q due to grades...

If Max keeps working, I think he can be an offensively gifted, dangerous PP threat, who is also a dependable top-4 defenseman in the league for a long time.

If he makes the jump after this season, I'd expect some bumps in the road defensively as he adjusts to new professional levels but be patient because his learning curve has always been steep and his desire to continue to improve in his own end has always been strong...

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Stillman with his 2nd fight in a week, third of the year. May have a decent gritty LD in the making.
Greco ends up with 2 goals and an assist, MacDonald with two assists. Hawryluk gets another helper as well.
Horton and Zolnierczyk with the other goals.
They blew a 4-2 lead late, the 4th SPR goal was an EN with 2 mins left.
Charlotte scored two at 19:04 and 19:30 of the 3rd and win it in OT 5-4. Ouch! Not a good weekend for SPR.
Mirror image of a system and players that don't know how to close it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad