OT: 2018-2019 College & NBA hoops thread

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Got Friday morning off from work and a lone single to the Thursday night session for Hall's 9:30 tip.

Pirates after dark, Mecca style.

If we aren't already safe, then a win vs. Georgetown will guarantee our bid.

in retrospect, i almost wish we ****ing stunk in the non-conference schedule.

what a tragic waste of a promising season.

all there is to do now is aggressively pray to the basketball gods that all three of hall's top-100 targets in the 2020 class commit. i'm resetting expectations to zero for 2019-20 even with all the pieces we already have in place.

it is ****ing infuriating to be this good and unable to apply maximum effort to a full 40 minutes. wasteful. just lazy, ****ty efforts.

I've wandered the desert...

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I may actually pay attention to the play-in games this year with both St. John's and FDU in them though probably neither should be there - for different reasons.

As usual the committee didn't do Seton Hall any favors although at least they didn't boot them out West this time, and the 2 seed in their region is Kentucky who they did beat.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Teams I'll be following in the NCAA Tournament:

*Villanova - have long rooted for all the Philadelphia Big Five/City Six teams. Hopefully the Wildcats can make a surprise run to the Sweet 16. They play St. Mary's, who upset them in the NCAA Tournament in I think 2010, in the first round.

*Temple - see first sentence of Villanova comment above. The Owls will play in a First Four game against Belmont, and then play Maryland if they beat Belmont. Hopefully they can make a nice run in Fran Dunphy's final season as a head coach.

*Mississippi State - my brother is currently a grad student there; I saw the Bulldogs play in person once early this season when I visited my brother. (Mississippi State is one of four NCAA Tournament teams I saw play in person in 2018-19, along with Temple, Villanova, and Colgate, the last of whom I saw play Lafayette in Easton in their regular season finale.) The Bulldogs play Liberty in their first game.

I'll also have added interest in what happens in the first two rounds in the East Region because for the first time ever, I'll be attending NCAA Tournament games this season - the East Regional semifinals and final, aka the Sweet 16 and Elite 8, in Washington, DC.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Is this Marquette game an indication of just how bad the conference is this year?

This Morant guy for Murray State is pretty impressive.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol other than the FDU play-in win the tournament was a waste for the local teams. But yeah all credit to the Hall for just getting to the tournament the way they did.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I don't think I've had a first day this bad ever. :laugh: That said, I only lost one Sweet 16 team (Marquette).

Hoping for a better day today. Picked all the wrong upsets yesterday (Yale, Vermont, Seton Hall, ODU) and missed all the right ones (Murray St., Minnesota, Baylor (sort of), Florida)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Virginia's not seriously about to lose to a 16 seed AGAIN are they? They should just be banned from ever getting another #1 seed if they do, for their own sake.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Seriously people should be fired if this happened (and by people it's at least coaches if not the AD too). It's just mind boggling how this team can go toe to toe with the behemoths in the ACC but then come a cropper like this. This makes the late '90's Devils look like child's play.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
lol other than the FDU play-in win the tournament was a waste for the local teams. But yeah all credit to the Hall for just getting to the tournament the way they did.

i wouldn’t call it a waste when 35 other teams don’t get a single win either. that’s why just *appearing* constitutes a “successful” season for a vast majority of the 350+ d1 programs.

as for hall, four straight appearances marks the program’s second most successful spell in school history after 1988-1994 under carlesimo. kevin willard is making this a program kids want to play for again.

can’t look at the tourney through our pro sport seven-game-series goggles, and all indicators point to the pirates being f***ing good next season.

onward setonia.

Last edited:

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
I normally don't like filling out brackets because I get mad when my picks are wrong, but my (recent) ex-girlfriend/good friend has a company-wide pool where she works and I filled out a bracket for her. I'm doing pretty well (probably like most other people considering most of the favorites won), getting 12 of the 16 Sweet 16 teams. All eight of my Elite 8 teams are still alive. I did pick a handful of "upsets" (i.e. #3-5 seeds beating #1-2 seeds) in the Sweet 16 round, so we'll see how things go on Thursday and Friday.

Incidentally, I'll be attending the East Regional games in DC on Friday and Sunday. I bought my tickets for those games back in late December; the cost was $300 for the package buying direct from the box office. I'm somewhat tempted to sell the tickets for (at this point) a few hundred dollar profit, but I've never attended any NCAA Tournament games before (despite attending over 150 college basketball games in my life) and have never seen any of the four Sweet 16 East Regional teams in person before, so I'll probably keep my tickets.

Last edited:

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Not sure I'll win my office pool, but having all 8 of my elite 8 teams alive is good at least. Only 10 of the Sweet 16 still remain though. Picked Houston to beat Kentucky, all other 1s and 2s so it really wasn't ballsy on my part at all.

Final 4 I have is Duke vs. Michigan and UNC vs. Tennessee. Went with UNC-Michigan in the final with UNC winning it all, hoping that's enough of a differentiation for me to somehow win but I don't think I got enough points early to make the comeback.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah I’d just go to those games, the year they had the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in Newark were classics and I’m not even a huge college BBall fan. Of course it helped we lucked out getting Kentucky, UNC and Ohio State with a top team in that quadrant.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Yeah I’d just go to those games, the year they had the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 in Newark were classics and I’m not even a huge college BBall fan. Of course it helped we lucked out getting Kentucky, UNC and Ohio State with a top team in that quadrant.

Yeah, the DC teams are (in order of highest to lowest seed) Duke, Michigan State, Louisiana State, and Virginia Tech. Those top two teams are among the highest marquee programs in college basketball, and it will be a very hot ticket if they play in the regional final. (There are also a lot of Duke fans in the Northeast Corridor in general, and many Michigan natives in the DC area; in my office alone, which only has about 12 people, there are three Michigan State alumni.) There are also a lot of Virginia Tech fans in the DC area because many people in the area are alumni. Seeing Virginia Tech play would also allow me to playfully cheer/yell for Curly (aka Buzz Williams, who looks a lot like Curly from the Three Stooges).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad