OT: 2018-2019 College & NBA hoops thread

Camille the Eel

BTW - that really did look like a foul on Virginia’s shooter with .6 seconds left. The Auburn defender hit him low before he released the shot. It clearly altered Guy’s ability to deliver the shot. Bravo to the ref on making a tough tough call. I do not ascribe to the view that you put away the whistle on game deciding shots and allow somebody to body check the shooter. That was more of a foul than a lot of hits on the wrist after the ball is gone. It took Guy out of his balance and delivery of the shot.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Come at me but I hope Brooklyn does make the playoffs. Yeah yeah I know they moved from Jersey but they're a young, exciting team that is rebuilding while actually using its cap space to add assets and what bandwagon are local fans really supposed to get on, the Knicks? :laugh:

Reactions: New Jersey

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I relate intensely to the Nets. Like me, they spent most of their lives in NJ before moving to Brooklyn. I went to Game 3 last night and sat in between a couple of French women who couldn’t be bothered to give a shit, and some Aussies who were so taken by my enthusiasm in booing Simmons that they joined in jeering one of their own.

Really bad game, uncharacteristic mistakes by Atkinson. Regardless, they need a star player.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I relate intensely to the Nets. Like me, they spent most of their lives in NJ before moving to Brooklyn. I went to Game 3 last night and sat in between a couple of French women who couldn’t be bothered to give a ****, and some Aussies who were so taken by my enthusiasm in booing Simmons that they joined in jeering one of their own.

Really bad game, uncharacteristic mistakes by Atkinson. Regardless, they need a star player.

*sigh*

I dunno when Barclays Center became such a tourist trap. I don't think I'd ever be willing to spend the money to attend a Nets playoff game even though I really want to. Game 4 tickets started at like $160 on the secondary market. Can't even imagine what it'd cost if they went on a run.

Only Nets games I attend will continue to be Thursday night cheapies against bad teams.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
Dunno, man... some parts of Brooklyn in general are tourist traps. I don’t regret my decision to go at all, though I will say that Barclays Center’s gameday atmosphere is the worst I’ve experienced.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Dunno, man... some parts of Brooklyn in general are tourist traps. I don’t regret my decision to go at all, though I will say that Barclays Center’s gameday atmosphere is the worst I’ve experienced.

i can say pretty confidently that the nets have the smallest "die hard" following in the metro area.

i mean, the fact that the devils were winning cups while the nets lost in the finals to two nationally-popular teams didn't help.

i saw a san antonio spurs frame around an nj license plate just the other day. :laugh:

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I just wanted to say Congrats to Josh Harris and David Blitzer for winning their first playoff series with a major sports franchise. Hopefully the Devils will be adding to that total next year.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I relate intensely to the Nets. Like me, they spent most of their lives in NJ before moving to Brooklyn. I went to Game 3 last night and sat in between a couple of French women who couldn’t be bothered to give a ****, and some Aussies who were so taken by my enthusiasm in booing Simmons that they joined in jeering one of their own.

Too bad Josh Harris does not own the Nets. He knows how to get star player.

harris.jpg

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
D'Angelo Russell's pretty close to star level. And Brooklyn has more than enough cap room to get another guy if Jay-Z or whomever can talk them into joining an up and coming team. At least Sean Marks actually used his team's cap room to gain assets while they were rebuilding.

i can say pretty confidently that the nets have the smallest "die hard" following in the metro area.

i mean, the fact that the devils were winning cups while the nets lost in the finals to two nationally-popular teams didn't help.

i saw a san antonio spurs frame around an nj license plate just the other day. :laugh:

The Nets had a small fanbase to begin with being in NJ, then alienated a good chunk of that fanbase to go to Brooklyn and mostly Knick country. I'm actually half surprised the building was as good as it was during the playoffs and not split with Net and Sixer fans the way I feared.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn

Same here.

I get a kick out of it when people talk bandwagon nonsense to me for all of 30 seconds before I drop some Anderson, Petrovic, and Coleman knowledge on them. They followed me here, not the other way around.

Anyways, they're a good, very young squad who can hopefully make real noise if they add another star. It's fun to follow for once.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
The Nets had a small fanbase to begin with being in NJ, then alienated a good chunk of that fanbase to go to Brooklyn and mostly Knick country. I'm actually half surprised the building was as good as it was during the playoffs and not split with Net and Sixer fans the way I feared.
With the Knicks being so bad for so long and the borough - NYC's most populous - being deprived of a team for so long I'd say it was a perfect storm for the franchise. They have the kind of support from the surrounding area the Devils only could have dreamed of back in the day.

Jack Be Quick

Hasek Is Right
Mar 17, 2011
Brooklyn
With the cost of entry and no hope of actually doing damage that's the kind of crowd you're going to get unfortunately.

RangerDoggo

Feb 3, 2016
I never got the conspiracy theory that the NBA rigged the lottery back in the day so the Knicks could get Patrick Ewing. Why the hell would they rig anything for them? I believe other stuff has been rigged by the league, but not that.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I never got the conspiracy theory that the NBA rigged the lottery back in the day so the Knicks could get Patrick Ewing. Why the hell would they rig anything for them? I believe other stuff has been rigged by the league, but not that.

because the league is better overall when the big market teams are good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad