OT: 2018-2019 College & NBA hoops thread

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Always nice to see the Knicks and Nets do poorly, hopefully that continues.

I noticed Harris/Blitzer's NBA team, the Sixers, have sold out all 7 home games.

In college hoops, Michigan took Villanova behind the woodshed last night, 73-46

Locally, Seton Hall got whipped by Nebraska 80-57 in Lincoln
*Their home opener at The Rock is this Saturday night.

What schools are you guys alums of for D-1 hoops?
Rutgers? Who else?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
thanks for bolding the Nova score

I will sleep tonight remembering this, though

MassiveBaggyBoar-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Devilsfan992

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The Pirates are such a question mark this season. Considering they can be that awful from the field (4-for-17 from downtown *barf*) and still rally to lose to the team projected to win the A10 by only two *should* be promising after getting smoked in Lincoln, but the jury's out. I have mixed feelings about the difficulty of this non-conference schedule.

Fortunately the Big East isn't all that great this year.

Onward Setonia.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
What schools are you guys alums of for D-1 hoops?
Rutgers? Who else?

None. I went to a D3 school for undergrad (Stevens) where I was one of the "weird" kids who wasn't an athlete but followed sports. :laugh:

As a new graduate student at the Hall who went to his first Pirates game when they were still at the Meadowlands, casually following them from a far since, I've now been confirmed.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
None. I went to a D3 school for undergrad (Stevens) where I was one of the "weird" kids who wasn't an athlete but followed sports. :laugh:

As a new graduate student at the Hall who went to his first Pirates game when they were still at the Meadowlands, casually following them from a far since, I've now been confirmed.

Did you attend Saturday?

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Did you attend Saturday?

Yes. Crowd and student section was very engaged. Did their part to will the rally but they, unsurprisingly, came up short. A sub-30% 3PT% will do that.

I am very surprised at how much those curtains change the Rock. You'd be amazed how loud 6,000 people can be in there. Considering Seton Hall never draws all that well early on, the crowd was great.

Had Sandro sunk that three to win it was ready to explode. The disappointment was palpable.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Yes. Crowd and student section was very engaged. Did their part to will the rally but they, unsurprisingly, came up short. A sub-30% 3PT% will do that.

I am very surprised at how much those curtains change the Rock. You'd be amazed how loud 6,000 people can be in there. Considering Seton Hall never draws all that well early on, the crowd was great.

Had Sandro sunk that three to win it was ready to explode. The disappointment was palpable.

I usually hit 1 or 2 Seton Hall games a season
Last year against Villanova the student section was rabid

Stinks they lost over the weekend.

Do the students hit up the bars pregame or is that too expensive for most of them?

A few friends that are Rutgers fans want to go to the game next month.

That game should get a loud crowd.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
"Everybody's got to be patient with this group," Willard said. "They work hard enough. I like where they're going. I don't like the results, obviously, but I have a lot of confidence that this group will continue to work and continue to get better."

Being impatient with Kevin Willard is practically a pastime already, but this is a very valid point.

It's a young group playing the right way against quality teams right from the start, but there's going to be growing pains... And shooting drills. Ideally, lots and lots of shooting drills.

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I usually hit 1 or 2 Seton Hall games a season
Last year against Villanova the student section was rabid

Stinks they lost over the weekend.

Do the students hit up the bars pregame or is that too expensive for most of them?

A few friends that are Rutgers fans want to go to the game next month.

That game should get a loud crowd.

I would imagine some do. I was stunned at the line before the doors opened. Students get there pretty early since the student section is entirely general admission, from baseline to the last row.

I anticipate the game vs. Rutgers will be a madhouse. Pirates will be looking for revenge from last season and to protect our court. That will be a fun afternoon.

I'll be there in my season ticket in section 13. (Yep, I've committed myself.)

I'm a Senior at Seton Hall. They're gonna make me sad this year.

Finish the non-conf schedule .500, then it's likely a free-for-all in the Big East.

I wouldn't resign to guaranteed sadness... Yet.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Being impatient with Kevin Willard is practically a pastime already, but this is a very valid point.

It's a young group playing the right way against quality teams right from the start, but there's going to be growing pains... And shooting drills. Ideally, lots and lots of shooting drills.

I must be the only one amused how alike Willard and Hynes look considering they both coach in the same building, not just cause they’re both white baldies but they’re around the same age too.

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
I must be the only one amused how alike Willard and Hynes look considering they both coach in the same building, not just cause they’re both white baldies but they’re around the same age too.

My mom texted me during a TV timeout on Saturday saying exactly this. :laugh:

The similarities go beyond their appearance...

"FIGURE IT OUT."

(Hyperbole because Kevin Willard has had more postseason success, and well, success overall, relative to everything.)

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Seriously there’s a marketing opportunity to all NJ sports fan chrome domes being missed.

They have success in terms of getting to the tournament (though it’s a much bigger field obviously) but I think the Hall only has one tournament win under Willard, like we only have one playoff win lol

New Jersey

Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
The Hall would be *totally* lost without Nzei’s leadership right now. Powell needs open looks to be successful.

They’ll get there. This team has so much potential and the 1-2 start isn’t cause for panic.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Rutgers 63
Eastern Michigan 36

Saint Johns 82
Cal 79

Fordham 67
Youngstown St 61

Long Beach St 86
Iona 85