Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I

I could see Bergevin looking at Oesterle and trying to determine if he could play along side Petry. Maybe a guy like Hudon could come in return with a low pick. Hudon definitely needs a change of scenery.
He's also come out saying they're not gonna be shopping a whole lot this year so I wouldn't think they'd be looking for anything too serious unless it was another 1 for 1 trade like Domi-Gally.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I suspect Hudon will be on waivers soon. They will shop him for a pick then waive him after nobody bites, as they did with JDLR and Schlemko.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Oesterle is two years younger than Connauton. He has played @ 40% as many games and tallied more than 50% points than Connauton. This season he has played more (slightly), scored more and taken fewer penalties. I wouldn't be quick to ditch Oesterle.
Offensively he is good. Defensively he is a tire fire.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Oesterle is two years younger than Connauton. He has played @ 40% as many games and tallied more than 50% points than Connauton. This season he has played more (slightly), scored more and taken fewer penalties. I wouldn't be quick to ditch Oesterle.

Well, the coaching staff is talking Oesterle up a lot in the media, so either he's gonna be kept long-term or they're trying to amp up his value at the deadline.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, the coaching staff is talking Oesterle up a lot in the media, so either he's gonna be kept long-term or they're trying to amp up his value at the deadline.
He could replace Gogo's points, and both aren't very good at defending, so maybe the Yotes will try to move Gogo.

Feb 12, 2003
He could replace Gogo's points, and both aren't very good at defending, so maybe the Yotes will try to move Gogo.
I like Oesterle for the game he plays. For a third string defenseman you rarely get offense without sacrificing defense. I do not want him in the top 4 regularly, but he's a good third string pairing. I don't know if he has much more room to grow or if this is just what he is.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Pittsburgh might be in the market...Schultz not quite ready yet and now Maata is out for at least a month or more.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Oesterle is pretty good with the puck and in transition. He has an active stick and breaks up alot of plays. I notice him defending a lot in the neutral zone in a good way. It's when the other team establishes position that he gets exposed. He doesn't really have the size and reach to be effective, and like most bottom -pairing defensemen makes bad reads.

Like Guest said, if you want your lower-pairing D to move the puck, it's always at the expense of their defense (otherwise they would be top-pairing D).

I would guess they already have made a decision on his future with the team. Wouldn't be surprised if they kept him because they talk about so transition in general so much, they clearly value that part of his game. On the other hand, he's an expiring contract, and there is always a market for depth defensemen at the deadline. SOoo...

Reactions: Jakey53

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I'd love to get COYLE from Minny

Does he actually play center? I'm afraid of the ask but would love yo add him for the right price. UFA after next season so that should drove down the cost. Having him on a contract year would be great, but would also be worried about the cost to re-sign.

Goligoski + 3rd for Coyle
Panik for a 3rd

Keller-Stepan-Coyle
Gally-Dvo-Fischer
Grabner-Richie-Hino
Crouse-Cousins-Garland

Oel-Hammer
Chychrun-Demers
Oesterle-KConn

For the rest of the season. Get it done!

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Except if this is part of a major, 100% sure, improving the team sort of deals, I would prefer to keep Fischer and check how he does once rookie +sophomore years are processed and digested.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I doubt Fischer has big value around the league. Hasn't done much. He still has some value to the roster as what he is. I wouldn't trade him or Crouse, because they are decent bottom six guys if they don't improve, and are worth a lot more if they blossom. Might as well ride it out and see which way it goes instead of selling early.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I doubt Fischer has big value around the league. Hasn't done much. He still has some value to the roster as what he is. I wouldn't trade him or Crouse, because they are decent bottom six guys if they don't improve, and are worth a lot more if they blossom. Might as well ride it out and see which way it goes instead of selling early.
Agreed, and both of them contribute in other ways while we wait for their production to pick up.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Latest Russo article in the Athletic states that Jason Zucker could be available. I’d kill to add Zucker.
I think Zucker is folding under the pressure of the big contract he signed in the off season. He wouldn't feel that here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad