Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Four more years of 4.9m for a player whose had a career high season of 59 (nice) and second best of 40 (meh) and two sub 40 seasons sandwiched inbetween. 2 goals currently and is not pacing to break 40 points again.

I'm not sold.

On the flip side, he's an actual NHL center, he's 6'2" , defensively sound, he's only 24, and that inconsistency is the only reason he's available.

If his contract makes him available cheaply, we'd be dumb not to kick the tires.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
On the flip side, he's an actual NHL center, he's 6'2" , defensively sound, he's only 24, and that inconsistency is the only reason he's available.

If his contract makes him available cheaply, we'd be dumb not to kick the tires.
This. That was my thinking when I suggested swapping Stepan for Wennberg. I think he could be a good fit for Galchenyuk. However, the lack of production and the terms of his contract mean we would need a sweetener in trading for him IMO.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse

Why does he keep getting benched if he is defensivly sound? People were upset at paying Richardson 2.5m for two years. I'm not moving Stepan for Wennberg, I'd rather assume this is an outlier season and that he bounces back to 50+ next year.

Is it that crazy to think Panik + 2nd could get Wennberg? Duke was swapped for Panik, add the 2nd to compinsate for the two good years Wennberg has had. What about Goligoski? Hell Cousins has the same amount of points but 3 more goals and is only a year older.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Ya know as an aside the trade board is kinda boring these days as a Coyotes fan. We don't have anything really available so there's no amusing threads about trying to take our players :laugh:

But I think that actually shows just how married we are to our current core short of huge shake up trades.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why does he keep getting benched if he is defensivly sound? People were upset at paying Richardson 2.5m for two years. I'm not moving Stepan for Wennberg, I'd rather assume this is an outlier season and that he bounces back to 50+ next year.

Is it that crazy to think Panik + 2nd could get Wennberg? Duke was swapped for Panik, add the 2nd to compinsate for the two good years Wennberg has had. What about Goligoski? Hell Cousins has the same amount of points but 3 more goals and is only a year older.
Columbus is at a confusing fork in the road. A Panik+2nd deal allows them to keep sitting on that fence. They get a player as production for right now, but also a pick. That way they can continue to kick the can down the road on the Russian pair.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Columbus is at a confusing fork in the road. A Panik+2nd deal allows them to keep sitting on that fence. They get a player as production for right now, but also a pick. That way they can continue to kick the can down the road on the Russian pair.

It depends if they outright trade Panarin and/or Bob. Get some picks or prospects from those two and an additional 2nd and Panik for us and they have a lot of ammo to do a retool this summer.

Their center depth is brutal but imagine a Panarin + Bob trade for Brassard and Hubardu. Wennberg becomes much more expendable.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Grimes said:
Why does he keep getting benched if he is defensivly sound?

He's played every game this year? He's a fixture on their PK. He plays C on a team that also can ice Dubois, Jenner, Sedlak, Dubinsky, and Riley Nash at C. Hes not having a good year offensively, but he's also getting pushed down the chart by other competent players in the top nine. He's a good buy-low candidate. He is a real center, not a wing playing center, who can dish the puck, but also contributes even if he's not on the scoreboard -- obviously everyone expects more out of him (especially at that kind of money).

Reactions: Jakey53

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Ya know as an aside the trade board is kinda boring these days as a Coyotes fan. We don't have anything really available so there's no amusing threads about trying to take our players :laugh:

But I think that actually shows just how married we are to our current core short of huge shake up trades.
I was just thinking the same thing last night. Once OEL was signed anything Coyotes went silent. There was some guy bringing up a hand full of proposals around Eichel and included the Yotes as a dance partner but the ask was way too much.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

I feel like it wouldn't be enough but I also feel like the league does not value Panik. He's one of those players that is actually worth more than his perceived value I think. We'd need to do something like Panik + NHL Ready(ish) Prospect + 2nd to get it done I'd bet.

Reactions: Name Nameless

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
He's played every game this year? He's a fixture on their PK. He plays C on a team that also can ice Dubois, Jenner, Sedlak, Dubinsky, and Riley Nash at C. Hes not having a good year offensively, but he's also getting pushed down the chart by other competent players in the top nine. He's a good buy-low candidate. He is a real center, not a wing playing center, who can dish the puck, but also contributes even if he's not on the scoreboard -- obviously everyone expects more out of him (especially at that kind of money).

True, the benching was possibly last season and the 15-16 one. Sounds like he has become a better all around player then. Honestly I have not played enough attention to him this year.

I dont mind him as a buy low. I dont think Stepan for Wennberg is a buy low though.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
To the folks who hate the Wennberg contract, how do you feel about Dvorak? I have no idea why Chyka rushed that one??

Two 15 goal 35+ seasons. I think if he settles at these point totals everyone will be dissapointed. If he hits that 40-50 range it looks like Wennbergs deal. If he exceeds it, it is a steal.

Wennberg has two seasons out of four with more points than Dvo. Looking like two with less and has only broken double digit goals once. I'm opposed to adding another center that makes around as much as Dvo and produces similarly unless it is for a bargain.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
At this point he's on pace for 35 points where a change of scenery could put him in the 40-50 point range to finish the season. I doubt those totals go down coming over here.

I see if I can land him and keep Stepan. It would definitely help keep our playoff hopes alive.

I'd even consider Wennberg + Foudy + 1st for Panik + C Prospect + 1st. They upgrade their first and we get 2 guys who could really help our team over the next 10 years and a shot at guys who still look like solid NHL prospects in this draft. I know many of you would gawk at the thought of that but I'm high enough on those guys that I'd consider it. Plus there is still a decent chance Columbus falls out of contention after moving Bob and Panarin. If you also take Wennberg out of the equation than we still have a lottery pick.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
More random stat checking,
Weal has 1 apple in 12 games here. We're currently set to have Archie play center. Both he and Kempe out pace Weal by several factors. Weal has been consistently demoted since starting his first few games on the top line.

Whether he just sucks or isn't fitting or needs to adjust to the system, it isn't working. We wouldn't have been appreciably worse off if we just started playing Archibald at center back when we made the trade and played Bunting. At worst it's exactly the same.

The only reason to play Weal is to bolster the team to try and stay in the sad sack race in the west. And he has shown there's no reason to think he's helping there. We could wait till Dvorak comes back but I'm not sure I would. I think he's actively hurting whatever line he's on. Someone like Kempe, offensive black hole (but less so than Weal) is solid enough defensively that in some metrics he's actually really good at preventing quality scoring chances.

Weal's prior numbers are all fine and good, show he has some potential to be better than he's shown. But in the context of less than 40 games remaining I don't think it's worth bothering anymore. If Archibald fills in okay at C I'd scratch Weal when Kempe is ready then hope Dvorak goes through his rehab stint in good shape.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
A winger who needs a really good center to be streaky successful?? What would he be for the Coyotes?

He is a frustrated killer, in the wrong organisation. He is a polarising player still learning aspects of the game. But he will dominate teams single-handlely soon enough.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
He is a frustrated killer, in the wrong organisation. He is a polarising player still learning aspects of the game. But he will dominate teams single-handlely soon enough.
I doubt he is ever dominating on his own. No center will be no success.

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I feel like it wouldn't be enough but I also feel like the league does not value Panik. He's one of those players that is actually worth more than his perceived value I think. We'd need to do something like Panik + NHL Ready(ish) Prospect + 2nd to get it done I'd bet.
Maybe a guy like Merkley would be of interest for CBJ. I know they're pretty set on defense for the future with Jones, Werenski and Murry being 3 top 4 guys already so I don't think POJ will be of any need to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->