Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Well, I guess we don't develop because we don't have the structure in place to develop players we have drafted. Meaning the vision throughout the organization, including the affiliate, the coaches, the patience and so on.

Reactions: _Del_

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
We traded Martinook for Kruger who we then tradaed for Hinistroza, pretty good deal for us imo.

I'd imagine we have to be thinking of shipping out a Dman (Gogo) this offseason, Capobianco is a near PPG dman and .7ppg over his AHL career, hard to argue that he's not ready for the next level

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yes Capo is ready.

With OEL and Chychrun as pillars on the left side there will never be many minutes leftover for Capo or POJ. We could trade from the bottom of that list of four and get a decent return. I'd rather trade from the top of that list and get a killer return.

OEL to Colorado at trade deadline for Ottawa's unprotected 1st (2019)

We'd have two picks in the top ten, maybe both in the top five.

Use OEL'S cap to shop in the UFA market. Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Karlsson are targets if there's a new owner who wants to show off. Dzingel, Donskoi, Nyquist, Stralman are depth palyers that might have better value.

Roster next season:

Gally - Stepan - Fischer
Keller - Hughes - Schmaltz
Dzingel - Dvorak - Garland
Grabner - Richardson - Vinnistroza
Crouse - Merkley

Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Gogo - Stralman
Capo - Demers
Lyubushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

Top prospects
Podkolzin
Hayton
Hill
POJ

tl;dr? Capo is ready. Make some room.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilhoody

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Yes Capo is ready.

With OEL and Chychrun as pillars on the left side there will never be many minutes leftover for Capo or POJ. We could trade from the bottom of that list of four and get a decent return. I'd rather trade from the top of that list and get a killer return.

Use OEL'S cap to shop in the UFA market. Duchene, Stone, Panarin, Karlsson are targets if there's a new owner who wants to show off. Dzingel, Donskoi, Nyquist, Stralman are depth palyers that might have better value.

Roster next season:

Gally - Stepan - Fischer
Crouse - Merkley

Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Gogo - Stralman
Capo - Demers
Lyubushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

Top prospects
Podkolzin
Hayton
Hill
POJ

I like the idea of getting a massive haul to help the rebuild, and two top 5 picks that may slot in next year is exciting to say the least (I'd also ask for much more that a single 1st rounder). But OEL would have to be traded at the deadline before his NMC kicks in over the summer and I don't think Barroway is willing to waive the full tank mode flag quite yet. The message from management is still "next man up" and the like.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
There is very little possibility that top-5 pick will be better than OEL. We might just keep our captain, he isn't part of the problem
Not too mention It's probably doubtful it would be a guaranteed non playoff team making the trade from the other side as that would not typically be the kind of team trading away draft picks. I am not attached or as enamoured with OEL as most and would trade him for a high end number 1 center 25 or younger if such a trade was available.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes Capo is ready.

Roster next season:

Gally - Stepan - Fischer
Crouse - Merkley

Chychrun - Hjalmarsson
Gogo - Stralman
Capo - Demers
Lyubushkin

Raanta
Kuemper

Top prospects
Podkolzin
Hayton
Hill
POJ

Capo looking good in the AHL doesn't mean he is ready for the NHL. I would call him up this year and see how he looks, and if he looks ready I move Gogo, not OEL. OEL is our best player by a country mile, and if traded our D crumbles. I would target Duchene.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not too mention It's probably doubtful it would be a guaranteed non playoff team making the trade from the other side as that would not typically be the kind of team trading away draft picks. I am not attached or as enamoured with OEL as most and would trade him for a high end number 1 center 25 or younger if such a trade was available.
Fill one hole and create another. Smart move.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We traded Martinook for Kruger who we then tradaed for Hinistroza, pretty good deal for us imo.

I'd imagine we have to be thinking of shipping out a Dman (Gogo) this offseason, Capobianco is a near PPG dman and .7ppg over his AHL career, hard to argue that he's not ready for the next level
REally?
Hino another coyote who is pure finesse and nothing else. Put a dozen eggs in his hockey pants and none would crack by the end of a game.
Martinook is a good two way grinder with a little bit of skill. But not a johny analytics type player.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Fill one hole and create another. Smart move.
You can be successful without top end D, It's extremely more difficult without a number 1 center. And like I said I'm not as high on OEL as most.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You can be successful without top end D, It's extremely more difficult without a number 1 center. And like I said I'm not as high on OEL as most.
Who are u envisioning as a potential target under this scenario? Seguin? Or a Yandle package based largely on hope given the complete ineptitude of our scouting staff and development system over the past decade? I’m hesitant to move good players but it all depends on the return.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Who are u envisioning as a potential target under this scenario? Seguin? Or a Yandle package based largely on hope given the complete ineptitude of our scouting staff and development system over the past decade? I’m hesitant to move good players but it all depends on the return.
I don't really have anyone in mind but they would have to be younger than OEL for me. Last year I thought maybe an OEL for Draisaitl type of trade but I'm not really sure what Draisaitl is right now??? You need a team with excess forwards but D issues obviously. Think like Toronto but I really don't see a trade fit there. Tampa for Point plus if he was signed sort of thing.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
In this league now you gotta score, and score in bunches. OEL is a good player on D but all that does is keep you in games not win games. A consistent offensive player or two or three is the priority. He is an asset but I see him as a trade asset. D dont put fannies in the seats.

What else do you think we have to deal with? We have no money, and they will play just well enough to hose us out of a good draft pick. Happens every year which is why we suck every year.

Martinook and Hino have the same points with Nook with 5 more goals. Ill take the goals and the durability. This team is made to break...should have fragile stamped on their butts

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
In this league now you gotta score, and score in bunches. OEL is a good player on D but all that does is keep you in games not win games. A consistent offensive player or two or three is the priority. He is an asset but I see him as a trade asset. D dont put fannies in the seats.

What else do you think we have to deal with? We have no money, and they will play just well enough to hose us out of a good draft pick. Happens every year which is why we suck every year.

Martinook and Hino have the same points with Nook with 5 more goals. Ill take the goals and the durability. This team is made to break...should have fragile stamped on their butts
Winning puts fannies in the seat. You can have all the flash and dash you want, but nothing matters if you don't win. Posters here were saying we played boring hockey under DT, and now under RT we have flash and dash with the same results on ice and little difference in attendance. You win, they will come. I believe every player on this team is available in a trade, but if there was one player who is almost untouchable it's OEL.

johnchayka89

Don’t Fail the Plan...
Jun 23, 2018
Scottsdale
www.nhl.com
REally?
Hino another coyote who is pure finesse and nothing else. Put a dozen eggs in his hockey pants and none would crack by the end of a game.
Martinook is a good two way grinder with a little bit of skill. But not a johny analytics type player.

Garland is shining brighter than Stroza lately. Garland has some finishing hands too.

Reactions: azcanuck

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I find it amusing that people are discussing trading OEL when a few threads ago there was the ever-present moaning about trading Yandle.

OEL is a better all-around player than Yandle is. You don't trade guys like that unless you're absolutely tanking.

If you want to make room for a guy like Capobianco, trade Goligoski. Get rid of the $4.5M salary to make space for some of our younger guys' upcoming paydays, and run OEL/Chychrun/Capo down the left side of the blueline. Bring Jordan Gross up to play the right side with Demers and have Hjalmarsson play right. Trade Connauton and let Oesterle walk, then give the 7th D slot to someone like Dysin Mayo. Fill the three empty slots in Tucson from our D prospect pool.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Garland is shining brighter than Stroza lately. Garland has some finishing hands too.
He's surprised me. I thought the first couple of games the big leagues overwhelmed him. Treated the puck like a hand grenade. But he's adjusted and has been doing well. Small sample size but promising.

Reactions: Lilhoody

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I don't really have anyone in mind but they would have to be younger than OEL for me. Last year I thought maybe an OEL for Draisaitl type of trade but I'm not really sure what Draisaitl is right now??? You need a team with excess forwards but D issues obviously. Think like Toronto but I really don't see a trade fit there. Tampa for Point plus if he was signed sort of thing.
OEL for Draisaitl would be the all time worst trade for this team.
It's a lot easier finding a scoring forward then it is finding a D like OEL.
OEL is the scapegoat for a lot of clueless fans.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

That's the thing. We have so many interchangeable journeymen. We have precious little real talent. We can trade talent for talent all we want but to fix our talent deficiency we need to draft well. Then develop well.

If a wild goose chase for a wild card spot gets in the way of basic development of the franchise then we are never going to progress. Exactly as the franchise has not progressed.

Better players. More wins. More fans attending.

Reactions: johnchayka89

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yes, trading OEL would be a huge error, just like when we traded Yandle and basically replaced him with Goligoski. It's always better keeping your talented players and then mix in with different lower talent to see if they fit the system better.

Capobianco is going to be really good. He's destroying the AHL in his 2nd year and had a really good 1st year last year, he's definitely ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad