Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What's interesting about Wennberg is he was offered to Arizona before (Wennberg, Rychel, and 8 OV for the Strome pick). Chayka was with the team at that time. Maybe he liked Wennberg then. We don't know his stance if he wanted Strome, if Maloney did, or the scouts did. Tippett certainly didn't. But anyway, Chayka seems to be a little relentless on eventually getting his guy. Stepan, Hammer, Demers, Hino, Schmaltz, etc., were all pursed for a long time, many for 1+ years.

And Wennberg definitely fits into that group of players Chayka said he'd like to acquire, i.e., early 20s who are already developed.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Figuring out the return is tricky. He's not producing as well as he should and he's got a big contract with term. That drives down his value. But he's still a promising player and not very far removed from a really good season.

What exactly is the plan in CBJ once Bob and Panarin bolt? That's a lot of big names and cap gone all in one shot (almost 20 mil between the 3). Perhaps Wennberg gets a bigger role once those two leave.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Sometimes I really have trouble understanding the thought process in this place? People are suggesting as high as $6 million for 5 or 6 years for Schmaltz and in the next breath I read that Wennberg is overpaid at $4.9 million yet his track record is as good?? Age is 1.5 years difference.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Man f*** Wennberg, that contract is horrendous and he's scored a total of 10 goals in his last 120 games. We need goal scorers, not Stepan-lite.

Reactions: RABBIT and RemoAZ

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The way I see it right now, we have too many forwards (in the bottom six at least). Makes me wonder if Chayka is looking at another 2-for-1 deal at some point.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Chayka to LeBrun:

“We’re not losing sight of our long-term plan here. Having said that, a big part of our plan is to put these guys in an environment where they can grow and learn and obviously play in meaningful games down the stretch and making a playoff push is a big part of that and is hugely valuable. My view is, the nice part about the injuries is, I can do nothing (at the deadline) and we’re still going to add players to our roster that are impact guys as we get some guys back here hopefully. We’re also in a position where we’ve got a lot of future assets and a lot of assets that we value but I also know the league values. If there’s an opportunity that makes sense and into the future, I don’t think we’re looking at pure rentals … I’d like to add to our group and continue to add to improve our group. This group has done a nice job, if they continue doing what they’re doing, it would be nice to make an addition.’’

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Sometimes I really have trouble understanding the thought process in this place? People are suggesting as high as $6 million for 5 or 6 years for Schmaltz and in the next breath I read that Wennberg is overpaid at $4.9 million yet his track record is as good?? Age is 1.5 years difference.
Schmaltz is the new boy toy around here.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Man **** Wennberg, that contract is horrendous and he's scored a total of 10 goals in his last 120 games. We need goal scorers, not Stepan-lite.
Who do you suggest we trade for these "goal scores"?

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Not a this year roster move but I dont think any team in the league is more needing a big UFA signing than the Coyotes. If Chayka is able to land a top line player like Stone (or Panarin :naughty: ) I will hate less for losing Domi and Strome.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Who do you suggest we trade for these "goal scores"?

I get that, but are we suggesting that we should trade away assets for a guy that's got two goals in over 50 games this season?

Again if he's cheap, I'd be willing to take a flyer on him and move out one of our 30 centers. But is he going to take Richardson's spot? Is it going to take Dvorak's spot? Is he going to take Stepan's spot? Schmaltz? Are we going to force him to the wing?

Is he worth the risk of shelling out prime trade assets and hoping that he shows more then he has showed in Columbus?

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Keep:
Keller
Fischer
Schmaltz
Stepan
Galchenyuk
Hinostroza
Crouse
Dvorak

OEL
Demers
Hjalmarsson
Chychrun
Toaster

Raanta
Hill

Let go of the rest for whatever we can get and fill in from there?

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I get that, but are we suggesting that we should trade away assets for a guy that's got two goals in over 50 games this season?

Again if he's cheap, I'd be willing to take a flyer on him and move out one of our 30 centers. But is he going to take Richardson's spot? Is it going to take Dvorak's spot? Is he going to take Stepan's spot? Schmaltz? Are we going to force him to the wing?

Is he worth the risk of shelling out prime trade assets and hoping that he shows more then he has showed in Columbus?
Schmaltz is out for the season, Dvorak could still be 2 months away for all we know, Richardson could be 2 months away, and Stepan could get hurt with the way the season has gone. Do we want Weal to be our #1? :laugh:

We can address some of the center issues next off season if needed, like removing Stepan if it makes sense. If we got Wennberg he would be our #1/#2 for the remainder of the year.

Stepan
Wennberg
Cousins
Weal

As Dvorak and Richardson return:

Stepan
Wennberg
Dvorak
Richardon

Next season when Schmaltz returns and if Hayton injects himself:

Keller - Wennberg - Schmaltz
Gally - Dvorak - Fisher
Stepan/Crouse - Hayton - Hinostroza
Grabner - Richardson - Garland
Cousins

Moving on Wennberg would keep us in the hunt and doesn't destroy us next season. It all really comes down to the price of admission.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Schmaltz is out for the season, Dvorak could still be 2 months away for all we know, Richardson could be 2 months away, and Stepan could get hurt with the way the season has gone. Do we want Weal to be our #1? :laugh:

We can address some of the center issues next off season if needed, like removing Stepan if it makes sense. If we got Wennberg he would be our #1/#2 for the remainder of the year.

Stepan
Wennberg
Cousins
Weal

As Dvorak and Richardson return:

Stepan
Wennberg
Dvorak
Richardon

Next season when Schmaltz returns and if Hayton injects himself:

Keller - Wennberg - Schmaltz
Gally - Dvorak - Fisher
Stepan/Crouse - Hayton - Hinostroza
Grabner - Richardson - Garland
Cousins

Moving on Wennberg would keep us in the hunt and doesn't destroy us next season. It all really comes down to the price of admission.

Why do you have to make me look bad... :laugh:

I thought you were aware of the injury timelines, so your argument makes sense.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
oh gotcha. Yeah I'm still not a fan of bringing him in unless its for a minuscule package, which CBJ will never go for.
That's fair, I can see why a lot of people wouldn't be. I was higher on Wennberg than Domi in their draft year so I think it makes it easier for me to take that risk than others.

Reactions: RABBIT

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
No Wennberg please...they need a goal scorer. Keller, Schmaltz, Stepan all already pass first guys. They need to add a reliable 20+ goal scorer to put them over the top for next year and going forward. Stone, Kreider, or Schenn. Tarasenko would be amazing but I don’t think that’s realistic to expect. I’m about out of patience with Fischer and if Garland keeps up his play there really isn’t room for Merkley... I would package the two of them and a pick and see what that gets you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad