Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Drama aside (and time heals), if we can get Hoffman for one of our 3rds, Coyotes should jump at it...they'd likely need to send salary back.

There’s not a chance in hell Florida would deal Hoffman for a 3rd, drama and all.

That said, I’d take Hoffman with the drama at the right price. He’s a goal scorer through and through. He isn’t in that age range at 29 that I think we’re looking for though.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There’s not a chance in hell Florida would deal Hoffman for a 3rd, drama and all.

That said, I’d take Hoffman with the drama at the right price. He’s a goal scorer through and through. He isn’t in that age range at 29 that I think we’re looking for though.
He just got traded to Florida for less in the original trade from Ottawa.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Someone on the CBJ board proposed Wennberg for Stepan. 1-for-1. That's a tough one.

Wennberg is younger and fits into our younger core of players. He has not yet entered his prime and may still have some untapped offensive potential. Looking at Stepan, he's very consistent offensively. This year looks like the first year where he may not reach his normal totals, though he's not far off either. But he's also nearing 30 and he will start to slow down soon, both on the scoresheet and in his legs, and it's key to move players like this before they depreciate.

However, Tocchet describes Stepan as an extension of the coaching staff. He's a good leader and solid veteran on an overall young team. We also gave up a pretty valuable package for Stepan (and Raanta) and there isn't a major reason for us to move on already. Stepan is also pretty consistent and we know what we're getting with him. He's fit in well with our group, and not a lot of new additions to this team over the years could say the same. He's also a good natural center on a team that lacks in that position, whereas Wennberg could be a center but also may be better suited at wing. Wennberg is a total wildcard, especially offensively. I don't think the contracts are a factor as they have similar cap/cash. Wennberg is signed for longer term but is younger.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ

Similarly, I don't see Panarin going there or here in FA. I'm not even sure why it's a topic.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Someone on the CBJ board proposed Wennberg for Stepan. 1-for-1.
That somebody was me. (Please pardon my invasion; was told that apparently Wennberg/Stepan discussion was a thing here and was curious.) I'm not wedded to it strictly being a 1-for-1; other pieces can also be helpful. I just figured that 1-for-1 had the best chance of not getting immediately bogged down in the details. ;)

I actually had a thread to that effect a couple months back on the trades board if there's interest: Proposal: - Jackets/Coyotes Center Swap

Reactions: Grimes

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
So I've read, but I don't see it. I know the Athletic once included Florida in his list of destinations. It doesn't seem in concert with him wanting to play in a big market. Florida draws 10k fewer people a night than Chicago. That kid is going home, to his other bud, #88.

While I maybe wrong about Chicago (and Florida), I will say with certainty, he will not be wearing a Coyotes sweater in 19/20.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So I've read, but I don't see it. I know the Athletic once included Florida in his list of destinations. It doesn't seem in concert with him wanting to play in a big market. Florida draws 10k fewer people a night than Chicago. That kid is going home, to his other bud, #88.

While I maybe wrong about Chicago (and Florida), I will say with certainty, he will not be wearing a Coyotes sweater in 19/20.
I think he wants a big city, not a big hockey market. Miami and Chicago both fit the bill.

Reactions: Lilhoody

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I’m offering a 3rd for Wennberg. I think his value is at an all time low and if you aren’t forcing them to eat salary you essentially are trading them salary cap/budget room.

They will likely tell me to F off but I really don’t care. I don’t think the market is super hot for Wennberg and I’m not for one second considering moving Stepan straight up for him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m offering a 3rd for Wennberg. I think his value is at an all time low and if you aren’t forcing them to eat salary you essentially are trading them salary cap/budget room.

They will likely tell me to F off but I really don’t care. I don’t think the market is super hot for Wennberg and I’m not for one second considering moving Stepan straight up for him.
I'm not a big Stepan fan, at all, but I wouldn't do that trade either. I don't think we will, but Stepan could bring us a pretty penny at TTD this year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Not even the 2nd, huh?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Hoffman is fine. The crazy girlfriend is the problem. I believe she's still in the picture.
I wonder why nothing ever came of that investigation? It seems Ottawa players were no less happy to be rid if Karlsson.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm not enamored with either player but if the price is cheap then fine.

For Burakovsky I'd do like KConn+3rd, or Panik+3rd for Bura+4th. Either move also saves cap for Washington, especially the first.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Did not realize Wennberg's contract was back end loaded. That is a deal breaker for me.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I
I'm not enamored with either player but if the price is cheap then fine.

For Burakovsky I'd do like KConn+3rd, or Panik+3rd for Bura+4th. Either move also saves cap for Washington, especially the first.

I think Panik may be a more valuable player, both in talent and for cap purposes for the Caps. If they need to sign anyone or want to go after a free agent to upgrade Burakowsky then Panik is the perfect guy. Upgrade Burakowsky now, don't have to re-sign Panik to get a better player later.

It's somewhat of a win for us because we get someone who could be a good 3rd liner that we can re-sign this offseason if he gels.

Looking at Wennebergs stats, I just don't know of he becomes a 50-60 point guy again. That is looking like the outlier season. I'd be worried to send over anything of significance. How is his two way game?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I fail to see what Wennberg brings. How does it improve our roster given that we would give up Stepan? Say what you want, Stepan has been a warrior this season and a source of stability for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad