Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Discussion in 'Arizona Coyotes' started by TheLegend, Jan 7, 2019.

1. SR

SR Registered User

There’s not a chance in hell Florida would deal Hoffman for a 3rd, drama and all.

That said, I’d take Hoffman with the drama at the right price. He’s a goal scorer through and through. He isn’t in that age range at 29 that I think we’re looking for though.

2. hbk

hbk Registered User Sponsor

Home Page:
    He just got traded to Florida for less in the original trade from Ottawa.

3. SR

SR Registered User

I believe that was in a must deal type scenario, but you’re right. If managed to land him for even a second I’d be very happy.

4. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

Hoffman is fine. The crazy girlfriend is the problem. I believe she's still in the picture.

5. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

Someone on the CBJ board proposed Wennberg for Stepan. 1-for-1. That's a tough one.

Wennberg is younger and fits into our younger core of players. He has not yet entered his prime and may still have some untapped offensive potential. Looking at Stepan, he's very consistent offensively. This year looks like the first year where he may not reach his normal totals, though he's not far off either. But he's also nearing 30 and he will start to slow down soon, both on the scoresheet and in his legs, and it's key to move players like this before they depreciate.

However, Tocchet describes Stepan as an extension of the coaching staff. He's a good leader and solid veteran on an overall young team. We also gave up a pretty valuable package for Stepan (and Raanta) and there isn't a major reason for us to move on already. Stepan is also pretty consistent and we know what we're getting with him. He's fit in well with our group, and not a lot of new additions to this team over the years could say the same. He's also a good natural center on a team that lacks in that position, whereas Wennberg could be a center but also may be better suited at wing. Wennberg is a total wildcard, especially offensively. I don't think the contracts are a factor as they have similar cap/cash. Wennberg is signed for longer term but is younger.

6. rt

rt Registered User Sponsor

Didn’t realize Wennberg was backloaded. He’s actually a little more expensive in real-dollars than Stepan per season.

7. Lilhoody

Lilhoody Registered User

Similarly, I don't see Panarin going there or here in FA. I'm not even sure why it's a topic.

8. rt

Panarin to FLA is a definite thing. His best bud Dadanov is there. They also really want Bobrovsky. This is an established rumor.

BeSeeingYouSeattle likes this.
  9. Viqsi

Viqsi IA IA BLUEJACKETS FHTAGN

Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    That somebody was me. (Please pardon my invasion; was told that apparently Wennberg/Stepan discussion was a thing here and was curious.) I'm not wedded to it strictly being a 1-for-1; other pieces can also be helpful. I just figured that 1-for-1 had the best chance of not getting immediately bogged down in the details. ;)

I actually had a thread to that effect a couple months back on the trades board if there's interest: Proposal: - Jackets/Coyotes Center Swap

Grimes likes this.
  10. Lilhoody

Lilhoody Registered User

So I've read, but I don't see it. I know the Athletic once included Florida in his list of destinations. It doesn't seem in concert with him wanting to play in a big market. Florida draws 10k fewer people a night than Chicago. That kid is going home, to his other bud, #88.

While I maybe wrong about Chicago (and Florida), I will say with certainty, he will not be wearing a Coyotes sweater in 19/20.

11. lanky

lanky Registered User

I think he wants a big city, not a big hockey market. Miami and Chicago both fit the bill.

Lilhoody likes this.
  12. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

Signing Bobrovsky for 8 years is stupid. I really want to see Florida do well but this would be another puzzling move by them. Especially if they give up Huberdeau to do it.

13. hbk

hbk Registered User Sponsor

Home Page:
    I’m offering a 3rd for Wennberg. I think his value is at an all time low and if you aren’t forcing them to eat salary you essentially are trading them salary cap/budget room.

They will likely tell me to F off but I really don’t care. I don’t think the market is super hot for Wennberg and I’m not for one second considering moving Stepan straight up for him.

14. Jakey53

Jakey53 Registered User

I'm not a big Stepan fan, at all, but I wouldn't do that trade either. I don't think we will, but Stepan could bring us a pretty penny at TTD this year.

15. rt

Not even the 2nd, huh?

16. Jamieh

Jamieh Registered User

I wonder why nothing ever came of that investigation? It seems Ottawa players were no less happy to be rid if Karlsson.

Jakey53 likes this.
  17. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

Guessing we watched Burakovsky. FWIW he finished the game with 1 assist.

18. rt

We’ve been rumored on Burakovsky for like a month now, right? He and Wennberg are both right in that early to mid twenties age range.

19. Mosby

Mosby Howl On

I'm not enamored with either player but if the price is cheap then fine.

For Burakovsky I'd do like KConn+3rd, or Panik+3rd for Bura+4th. Either move also saves cap for Washington, especially the first.

20. ducky

ducky Registered User

Renewable energy
    Did not realize Wennberg's contract was back end loaded. That is a deal breaker for me.

21. Grimes

Grimes Registered User

I
    I think Panik may be a more valuable player, both in talent and for cap purposes for the Caps. If they need to sign anyone or want to go after a free agent to upgrade Burakowsky then Panik is the perfect guy. Upgrade Burakowsky now, don't have to re-sign Panik to get a better player later.

It's somewhat of a win for us because we get someone who could be a good 3rd liner that we can re-sign this offseason if he gels.

Looking at Wennebergs stats, I just don't know of he becomes a 50-60 point guy again. That is looking like the outlier season. I'd be worried to send over anything of significance. How is his two way game?

22. Biz20

Biz20 At least we tried

23. Grimes

Grimes Registered User

Four more years of 4.9m for a player whose had a career high season of 59 (nice) and second best of 40 (meh) and two sub 40 seasons sandwiched inbetween. 2 goals currently and is not pacing to break 40 points again.

I'm not sold.

24. moosemeister

moosemeister Registered User

Yeah that’s gonna be a no from me

25. Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree Turning a new leaf

I fail to see what Wennberg brings. How does it improve our roster given that we would give up Stepan? Say what you want, Stepan has been a warrior this season and a source of stability for the club.