Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It’ll take more than a 2nd. Even if our 2nd is in the top five picks of that round.

What though? Two 2nds? A B-level prospect? They can't take any contract back so this has to be pure futures.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
It's Friday and I need a work break ... so I'm wondering what it would cost to get an early look at Mark Stone, and first crack at signing him, if we add him as a rental.

Our 2019 1st (defers to 2020 if we miss playoffs), Panik (salary purposes), Merkley, and a 2nd? Is this actually valuable or more so a pile of stuff? Maybe add POJ and take something out? Maybe get a conditional 2nd from Ottawa if Stone signs elsewhere?

Assuming Grabner, Dvorak, and Richardson are back by the deadline (AND NOBODY ELSE GETS HURT!):

Keller - Stepan - Stone
Galchenyuk - Dvorak - Garland
Grabner - Richardson - Hinostroza
Crouse - Cousins - Fischer
Archibald

AHL: Weal, Bunting, Kempe

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
A 1st and POJ for a rental seems steep. Market value wise it's fine, just a steep price to pay given our situation.

If Chayka was close to getting JVR it shows that he's willing to chase top talent in the UFA market. I say let him keep doing that and hope that he catches something good eventually.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
It's Friday and I need a work break ... so I'm wondering what it would cost to get an early look at Mark Stone, and first crack at signing him, if we add him as a rental.

Our 2019 1st (defers to 2020 if we miss playoffs), Panik (salary purposes), Merkley, and a 2nd? Is this actually valuable or more so a pile of stuff? Maybe add POJ and take something out? Maybe get a conditional 2nd from Ottawa if Stone signs elsewhere?

Assuming Grabner, Dvorak, and Richardson are back by the deadline (AND NOBODY ELSE GETS HURT!):

Keller - Stepan - Stone
Galchenyuk - Dvorak - Garland
Grabner - Richardson - Hinostroza
Crouse - Cousins - Fischer
Archibald

AHL: Weal, Bunting, Kempe

You do not want to lose your first in 2020, get more 1sts for next year if anything.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Dont trade any of the 1st and 2nds this year or next year. As much as I would love to see us make the playoffs, I just dont see it happening with the current injuries and the roster that we have. I think were starting to see what happens with a lot of injuries. Granted we have been in the majority of the games we have currently lost, we just dont have the horsepower to keep up, I think.

Finish out the year with what he have going on and try and ship out expiring contracts. Look at july first as a day to improve for next year with a full healthy roster.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Dont trade any of the 1st and 2nds this year or next year. As much as I would love to see us make the playoffs, I just dont see it happening with the current injuries and the roster that we have. I think were starting to see what happens with a lot of injuries. Granted we have been in the majority of the games we have currently lost, we just dont have the horsepower to keep up, I think.

Finish out the year with what he have going on and try and ship out expiring contracts. Look at july first as a day to improve for next year with a full healthy roster.

I agree...don't chase the dream with the current devastated roster. Make this an opportunity to guys like Merkley, Bunting and others to see what they've got, basically an extended try out. This years and next years drafts look to be really, really good loaded with talent.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
I agree...don't chase the dream with the current devastated roster. Make this an opportunity to guys like Merkley, Bunting and others to see what they've got, basically an extended try out. This years and next years drafts look to be really, really good loaded with talent.
Personally i think its a bit weaker year, don't see much top end talent, but good depth if you look in the right places, great year to trade down in my opinion

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Expiring Contracts:

Panik - I like Panik. I do not like Panik's consistency. comparing to Boyle, I see him possibly returning a 2nd.
Weal - probably wouldnt be claimed if waived
Oesterle - I like him. Keep him as the 7th over kconn?
Kempe - 2 way deal. Consistent call up?

RFA's

Crouse - 2 year 1.5M?
Schmaltz - 5 year 5M?
Cousins - 2 year 1.5M?
Garland - Tough one to gauge. 2 year 2M?
Bunting - Qualified
Archibald - Traded or qualified
Lybushkin - I like this one too, 2 year 1M?

I think the only UFA we have that holds any weight is Panik. Toaster may have some value, but I am not sure what that is.
I think if we lose tonight, we have fallen a little too far to be on the verge of buying. I think we sell what we can and fill in the rest with whats left over. Get healthy and see what we can do in FA.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Expiring Contracts:

Panik - I like Panik. I do not like Panik's consistency. comparing to Boyle, I see him possibly returning a 2nd.
Weal - probably wouldnt be claimed if waived
Oesterle - I like him. Keep him as the 7th over kconn?
Kempe - 2 way deal. Consistent call up?

RFA's

Crouse - 2 year 1.5M?
Schmaltz - 5 year 5M?
Cousins - 2 year 1.5M?
Garland - Tough one to gauge. 2 year 2M?
Bunting - Qualified
Archibald - Traded or qualified
Lybushkin - I like this one too, 2 year 1M?

I think the only UFA we have that holds any weight is Panik. Toaster may have some value, but I am not sure what that is.
I think if we lose tonight, we have fallen a little too far to be on the verge of buying. I think we sell what we can and fill in the rest with whats left over. Get healthy and see what we can do in FA.

Please educate me: why does Garland need a regular contract? is he not eligible for a 2 way?

He has played remarkably well, in contrast to what I and many others thought, but does he rate $2Mx2?

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Please educate me: why does Garland need a regular contract? is he not eligible for a 2 way?

His first deal expires after this season, he's been in the system a while just not at the NHL level.
There's a very real chance he ends up our leading goal scorer :laugh:. Martinook after his similar deal expired got 1.8 playing bottom 6 minutes. 2 might be slightly on the side side given the minutes Garland is playing (which is still not much) but 1.75? Sure why not.

We gave Connauton 1.35m for like a good month and a half :biglaugh:

Reactions: Lilhoody

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

He has played remarkably well, in contrast to what I and many others thought, but does he rate $2Mx2?

He doesn’t strike me as a guy that I believe would take a 2 way deal and he has some leverage considering his goal totals in far less games lol.

I think the 2x2 is a small bridge deal to see if he can keep up his scoring totals.

Reactions: Lilhoody

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
How is Galchenyuk second in faceoffs, yet still isn’t playing center?

The only center he’s not better than in FO is Richie. I’d be totally fine trying to get him back in center and firing Weal into the sun

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Richie
Galchenyuk
Stepan
Cousins
Kempe
Dvorak with a broken body
Howler

Weal

When one of Richie or Dvo come back, Weal needs to go. I don’t care if we ship a 5th with him to get a 6th. Get him out of here.

Reactions: Jagged Ice

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
How is Galchenyuk second in faceoffs, yet still isn’t playing center?

The only center he’s not better than in FO is Richie. I’d be totally fine trying to get him back in center and firing Weal into the sun

Faceoffs isn't the only thing a center does?

Swap him in for the center just for the faceoff if he is better at it.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
What does Weal do that’s better than Galchenyuk?

Name me one thing lol

Weal is a placeholder. There is no point in comparing Galchenyuk as a center with him.

I figure the point is, they think Galchenyuk is much better as a wing. So let's not let his agent and his dad start to believe he is a center again.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Galchenyuk is much better as a wing.

My guess is they just don't want to mess with it. They might even be trying to pump his value as we do only own him another year after all.
If Chayka is gonna take a mulligan on one of his moves this offseason I can easily see it being Galchenyuk in a package.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My guess is they just don't want to mess with it. They might even be trying to pump his value as we do only own him another year after all.
If Chayka is gonna take a mulligan on one of his moves this offseason I can easily see it being Galchenyuk in a package.
Other GM's know what Chucky brings, so saying we are trying to pump his value doesn't hold water. I don't see why Chayka would want to trade Chucky, who has been our best forward for the last 15-20 games.

Reactions: cobra427
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad