Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Based on some tweets, we seem to be keeping an eye on CBJ and they're watching us as well.

This usually means nothing, but always interesting info.

I'd guess Wennberg.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Based on some tweets, we seem to be keeping an eye on CBJ and they're watching us as well.

This usually means nothing, but always interesting info.

I'd guess Wennberg.

We seem to have been scouting CBJ for the past few deadlines and nothing has ever come out of it.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Columbus needs a C in a big way. STEPAN for Wennberg? That would be a pretty lateral swap but huge win for Coyotes in terms of age. And speed.

Ain’t gonna happen my dude haha

Oh I know. Guess a :naughty: was in order.

Would be a disaster trade for us. Wennberg has only hit Stepan numbers once in his career. Step is 4 years older but carries much more value as a leader. He's having a bad year sure, but Wennberg is basically Perlini as a center.

Wennberg has 2 goals this year, career high of 13. Unless we surround that man with scorers he wouldnt do shit for us.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Is Wennberg still in Tort’s doghouse? Could be a decent buy low gamble. I like a Wennberg a lot. He scored 1 goal in his first 50 games this season. I could see Columbus being frustrated enough to move him. He’s in the second year of a pretty hefty contract (6yrs, 4.9per).

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Is Wennberg still in Tort’s doghouse? Could be a decent buy low gamble. I like a Wennberg a lot. He scored 1 goal in his first 50 games this season. I could see Columbus being frustrated enough to move him. He’s in the second year of a pretty hefty contract (6yrs, 4.9per).

So, you want to add a really low-scoring forward?

I wonder why I cringe a little here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm with rt here. I would take Wennberg in a heartbeat. Of course it would depend who we would have to give up.

rt

May 13, 2004
So, you want to add a really low-scoring forward?

I wonder why I cringe a little here.
Yeah, Wennberg is a good young player having a tough season. Even woth him struggling so badly, he’s still a .43ppg.

The previous three seasons where he was 23, 22 and 21 years old, he averaged 72gp 10g 35a 994 FOs at 46% - playing both PK and PP regularly. This on decent CBus teams.

Anyone remember when Max Domi had a bad season and we traded him? How’s he doing? They’re from the same draft year, by the way.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

RABBIT

Yeah, Wennberg is a good young player having a tough season. Even woth him struggling so badly, he’s still a .43ppg.

The previous three seasons where he was 23, 22 and 21 years old, he averaged 72gp 10g 35a 994 FOs at 46% - playing both PK and PP regularly. This on decent CBus teams.

Anyone remember when Max Domi had a bad season and we traded him? How’s he doing? They’re from the same draft year, by the way.

Max didn't have that contract and had multiple 40+ point seasons at a younger age. I mean I'm not against acquiring him, i believe in changes of scenery, but if we're acquiring that contract it better not be for anyone remotely significant.

rt

May 13, 2004
Max didn't have that contract and had multiple 40+ point seasons at a younger age. I mean I'm not against acquiring him, i believe in changes of scenery, but if we're acquiring that contract it better not be for anyone remotely significant.
In their three seasons preceding this one, their production was pretty similar, no?

RABBIT

In their three seasons preceding this one, their production was pretty similar, no?

I mean...a little i guess.

If we break it down...

In 15-16 Max played 12 more games and finished with 12 more points than AW
In 16-17 Max played in 21 less games and finished with 21 less points than AW
In 17-18 Max played in 16 more games and finshed with 10 more points than AW

This year Max is blowing him out of the water.

Career totals-

Max: 278 GP 53 G 131 A 184 pts
AW: 337 GP 35 G 142 A 177 pts

So in 59 more games, AW has 7 less points than Max and is making almost $2m more a year than him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
We need a young, proven 1C. Young enough to still be in his prime by the time we recover from paying the ransom to obtain him.

Reactions: Heldig

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Wennberg would benefit from a change of scenery.

Depends on what goes the other way. We are getting a little deep at C (just nobody is healthy) so I'm not seeing the immediate need. Unless they are concerned about extending Galchenyuk and/or Schmaltz (which I doubt but who knows) or are able to pry a significant plus if they are moving Stepan. Stepan is like another assistant coach on this squad. I'd hate to see him moved.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
We need a young, proven 1C. Young enough to still be in his prime by the time we recover from paying the ransom to obtain him.
Those just aren't available via trade. They have to be drafted and developed. Even then it's no sure thing. Strome as good as he's played in this recent run is still likely only a 2C. Schmaltz was fantastic with Keller but I'm hesitant to claim he's going to be anything better than a 2C.

We are nearing Dach/Cozens territory for the upcoming draft. Those are two options that I'd have my scouting staff fully on board with their playing style and whether they fit a Tocchet system. I'm high on Dach right now myself.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I want to see a Keller-Dvorak-Schmaltz line...I feel like it would be extremely good.

A responsible 2way center with a nice passing game between two skillful, fast wingers. Makes too much sense, it'll fail because Coyotes :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
I’m not suggesting we pay 2017 prices for Wennberg. If Torts doesn’t like him, CBus is attached to Torts, and they’re having a bit of buyer’s remorse, I think Wennberg is a great buy-low option. This is specifically because his production doesn’t match his contract right now. If he was producing like a five million dollar a year player, this wouldn’t be a discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad