2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Interpretation:

"He looks like crap, but he's working his way in shape, hopefully this is just rust and not Father Time collecting his due. We'll know in a couple weeks.
I really wanted Myers to win the job in camp, but he looked like he was a bit slow processing, and he'd be better off with hands on coaching by Sullivan and playing 20+ minutes in LHV right now, it's not like he blew anyone away in his first game back there.
Folin is what we thought he was, a 7th D-man getting paid like a 7th D-man.
So if AMac is really cooked, I got a tough decision to make, rush a kid who isn't ready or go on the rent a D-man market."

We'll know what Hextall really thinks when he trades for the veteran D-man or calls up Friedman.
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:
Maybe our coach should not play the guy who "looks like crap", so much.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Well the cap situation was bad then wasnt it? I would prefer AMAC scratched anyway. Dont want him getting ice time over the kids in LV
Oh, it definitely was. Still, it stood to reason at the time, there were other players that could've been waived, but Hextall chose AMac. Partially because it was thought with his contract, and play, he was claim proof by the rest of the league. However, when is it ever a good time to celebrate a player on your team that no other team wanted to take on?

It would be best if AMac were just scratched, but Dastardly Hamfistitall has proven time and time again not to be interested in that. So it befalls the GM to save the coach from himself (or just fiur the f***er already.) Agreed about not needing to see him in the Flyers' organization, not just absent from the big club.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He could say something like,

"We think he can play better and we expect him to play better going forward."

Show that you are dissapointed and will hold the player accountable.

Yeah there is definitely a way to better phrase things than Hextall has. I genuinely believe he thinks MacDonald is good. I've said it before but Hextall puts way way too much of a premium on "intangibles". I think he'd cream his pants if he could trade Voracek for J. Toews.

Hextall has the cap space to move MacDonald and given that he only has this year and next year left on his contract it shouldn't be terribly hard to do so if he wanted.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah there is definitely a way to better phrase things than Hextall has. I genuinely believe he thinks MacDonald is good. I've said it before but Hextall puts way way too much of a premium on "intangibles". I think he'd cream his pants if he could trade Voracek for J. Toews.

Hextall has the cap space to move MacDonald and given that he only has this year and next year left on his contract it shouldn't be terribly hard to do so if he wanted.

How would the cap space help Hextall move MacDonald, other than just waiving him and eating the money, if he's not at least a solid 3rd pair defenseman? Retaining half would still cost another team $2.5M a year for two years (prorated this year).

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
How would the cap space help Hextall move MacDonald, other than just waiving him and eating the money, if he's not at least a solid 3rd pair defenseman? Retaining half would still cost another team $2.5M a year for two years (prorated this year).

He could want him off the books and waiving him could cause him to lose any value around the league (if he has some). I didn't state it would help him other than he's not tied up with no capspace where teams will leverage that against him.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Hextall’s only ever had great things to say about Voracek and gave him a max length extension a year in advance at a cap hit just below Giroux’s.

I’m also pretty sure JVR wasn’t signed because of his two way play and intangibles.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I doubt Hextall thinks MacDonald is "good."
But it's very possible he thinks MacDonald's experience makes him a valuable mentor to young defensemen, both on the team and soon to be on the team, the only other experienced D-man is Gudas, and not sure if he's really the mentor type.

I know, how can MacDonald mentor if he's so meh?

Well, Ghost can't teach much, "at the blue line, you dipsy doodle and fake the guy out of his jock, then look for a 1 foot window to pass, otherwise fire a blue streak at the upper corner of the net . . ."
That is, really talented players are usually lousy teachers b/c they can't teach the things they can do.

On the other hand, with MacDonald, "this is why I did that, it would have worked if I could have kept my balance . . ." Anything he does, they can do better once they figure it out.

Is there a limit to the number of assistant coaches a team can carry at the NHL level?

Last edited:

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
Im so bummed Patrick / JVR are hurt/ I was looking forward to seeing them play together. I wish, we could for once see something positive. Like the flyers going on a hot streak to start the year. It seems to be a common theme, of us waiting till were basically f***ed ,before we start playing good hockey. I do agree Hakstol should be fired. Maybe Vigneault would be a good option?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He thought Grossmann was good (or at least, was better than the fans thought he was) back before he worked for the Flyers, so I don't know why you'd just assume he is a "shill" for his opinion of MacDonald.

How do you think he got the job as a paid shill? He was scouted as an amateur shill, so they turned him into a pro. ;)

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Im so bummed Patrick / JVR are hurt/ I was looking forward to seeing them play together. I wish, we could for once see something positive. Like the flyers going on a hot streak to start the year. It seems to be a common theme, of us waiting till were basically ****ed ,before we start playing good hockey. I do agree Hakstol should be fired. Maybe Vigneault would be a good option?

Vigneault is more averse to playing young players than most NHL coaches are. Ask any Rangers fan and he’ll say the same thing. Hard pass.

smoochy

Oct 12, 2018

Ummm..you wouldn’t cream your pants if the Flyers traded Voracek for Toews?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Toews hasn’t even hit 60 points in the previous 3 seasons.

Maybe he can finally do it this year! :laugh:

Hard pass on that crazy overpaid and overrated guy.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Is this a joke?
I'm struggling to think of a worse contract... $10.5m?!

The guy was the most overrated player in the league when the Blackhawks were good and now that they suck, he's being exposed. His entire rep was based on playing on a stacked team, while never even being their best player.

He fooled the fools and the idiots in the media.

Reactions: Asnito and Rebels57

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Funny that Jake hurts us defensively when every piece of info tells us that objectively he is simply probably a marginally above average winger defensively (given his QoC)... who more than makes up for just being average on D with his offense.

Since joining the Flyers:

52.48 CF%
+3.44 CF Rel

-1.34 CA Rel

53.36 GF%
+5.7 GF Rel

+0.00 GA Rel

51.73 ExGF%
+3.16 ExGF Rel

+0.05 ExGA Rel

I would say objectively at 5v5 him and Simmonds are very similar defensively, like hair-splittingly close . No-one questions Simmonds defense. Both are just "solid/average" on D... no real negative or problem but not Raffl for example.

But Jake is better in pretty much every other area of hockey at 5v5. Heck, he even scores virtually the same amount of goals at 5v5.

Flyers career:

Jake: 0.68
Simmonds: 0.72

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Funny that Jake hurts us defensively when every piece of info tells us that objectively he is simply probably a marginally above average winger defensively (given his QoC)... who more than makes up for just being average on D with his offense.

Since joining the Flyers:

52.48 CF%
+3.44 CF Rel

-1.34 CA Rel

53.36 GF%
+5.7 GF Rel

+0.00 GA Rel

51.73 ExGF%
+3.16 ExGF Rel

+0.05 ExGA Rel

I would say objectively at 5v5 him and Simmonds are very similar defensively, like hair-splittingly close . No-one questions Simmonds defense. Both are just "solid/average" on D... no real negative or problem but not Raffl for example.

But Jake is better in pretty much every other area of hockey at 5v5. Heck, he even scores virtually the same amount of goals at 5v5.

Flyers career:

Jake: 0.68
Simmonds: 0.72
He's out of position it not in the dzone most shifts and that's love it on the TV screen and documented by lots of announcers and good hockey people and really got picked on in the playoffs.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Voracek has looked more noticeable on D in the early season. He had a big backchecking play on a chance that followed a missed penalty.

Anecdotal, but the claim that Voracek has a tendency for brain farts probably draws only from a few cases, too.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The Voracek complaints have always been such lazy nonsense.

He is one of the best 10 RW's in the NHL and has been for over 6 seasons.

Since 12-13:

456 gp, 120 g, 278 a, 398 p
0.265 GPG, 0.614 APG, 0.879 PPG

48th in NHL in goals over that time
6th in NHL in assists over that time (1st amongst RW's)
13th in NHL in points over that time (4th amongst RW's)

12th in NHL in APG over that time (2nd amongst RW's)
21st in NHL in PPG over that time (5th amongst RW's)

I mean...

Kane
Kucherov
Tarasenko
Wheeler
Kessel
Laine
Pastrnak
Voracek
Stone
Rantanen

Are probably objectively the top 10 NHL RW's right now in no specific order. Quite a few are worse/equal to him defensively as well.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He is one of the best 10 RW's in the NHL and has been for over 6 seasons.

Since 12-13:

456 gp, 120 g, 278 a, 398 p
0.265 GPG, 0.614 APG, 0.879 PPG

48th in NHL in goals over that time
6th in NHL in assists over that time (1st amongst RW's)
13th in NHL in points over that time (4th amongst RW's)

12th in NHL in APG over that time (2nd amongst RW's)
21st in NHL in PPG over that time (5th amongst RW's)

I mean...

Kane
Kucherov
Tarasenko
Wheeler
Kessel
Laine
Pastrnak
Voracek
Stone
Rantanen

Are probably objectively the top 10 NHL RW's right now in no specific order. Quite a few are worse/equal to him defensively as well.
And yet some people swear he’s a problem :laugh:

Much like Giroux, some fans just don’t appreciate him or understand how lucky we are to have a player like him.

Reactions: Appleyard
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad