2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Bowman had him traded and would have kept primeau if he didn't start being a two way player. All players gotta play two way when it comes playoffs time.

Yeah, bud, but the way they talked about him, people were questioning his character and stuff like that - it was bull****. He did change his game, for sure, but it's not like he was some locker-room poison before that, like ****ing Patches lol.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Yeah, bud, but the way they talked about him, people were questioning his character and stuff like that - it was bull****. He did change his game, for sure, but it's not like he was some locker-room poison before that, like ****ing Patches lol.
No he's a true leader. Played better on one leg in 2002 then anything on this team we like the last 5 years. Gotta have great and he had it plus high end talent.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
That was always such a load of complete ****, though, and drove me absolutely crazy from Day 1. He's my favorite non-Flyer ever, and I'm an admitted Stevepologist when it comes to anything about him, but I just never bought into any of that garbage.

Of course it is but that’s sports culture for you especially hockey culture. Ovechkin got the same shit prior to last year. Nothing really changed much. Their team got worse compared to the previous years if anything.

The goal is obviously to win championships but people get too crazy with it & lose perspective on things big picture wise very easily when discussing it. It’s not easy to do & especially in sport like hockey there’s still a lot of luck involved even for the teams that would be deemed to have championship caliber rosters.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
He got older & the scoring climate changed over that time. He was 31 the year they won the Cup & he was still a top 15 scorer that year.

I mean Yzerman's probably a top 10 player in the history of the game. But early in his career it would be fair to say he was a finesse player. He became a very tough and more physical player, and even Selke-worthy, later.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
yet >260 games is not enough to judge another guy's job

eOV7jgr.jpg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

These numbers are great. Videogame numbers the wrong way. I don’t know if anyone mentioned that through the first 4 games, their defense graded out worse than any 4 game stretch for the Islanders last year.

"Mac will be fine."

Fire Hextall.

Reactions: JPS

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Says guy who was crucifying Voracek after 2 games.

You should actually try reading instead of listening to others, my point was that if Voracek could have three terrible game, then it wasn't anything to make a big deal about, the point being that NO player should be judged on such a small sample.

But sometimes my humor flies right of the head of most people, I keep forgetting the limitations of my audience.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He is one of the best 10 RW's in the NHL and has been for over 6 seasons.

Unfortunately, since 2015-16, the last three years:

456 gp, 120 g, 278 a, 398 p
0.265 GPG, 0.614 APG, 0.879 PPG

48th in NHL in goals over that time
6th in NHL in assists over that time (1st amongst RW's)
13th in NHL in points over that time (4th amongst RW's)

12th in NHL in APG over that time (2nd amongst RW's)
21st in NHL in PPG over that time (5th amongst RW's)

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
You should actually try riding instead of listening to others, my point was that if Voracek could have three terrible game, then it wasn't anything to make a big deal about, the point being that NO player should be judged on such a small sample.

But sometimes my humor flies right of the head of most people, I keep forgetting the limitations of my audience.

Sometimes your humor hits me right in my nether region, and it feels bad, man.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Voracek is similar to Giroux in that he's been a much better PP performer than 5x5 performer:

2015-18:

1.73 pp/60, 82nd among forwards
CF% 52.27 , CFrel 2.78,
xGF% 50.25, xGFrel 2.65

PP
5.60 pp/60. top 10.

Ideally, he'd be on the second line, playing less ES minutes and more PP minutes.
His ES offense is good, but not special, so his defensive deficiencies do matter to some extent.
In a couple years this is what I expect, as the kids emerge, some veterans will be pushed down at ES.

When Voracek wants to play a two way game he can look special, but he rarely does so for more than short stretches.
You can usually tell if he's "on" when he's backchecking and driving the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad