2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
"Sometimes the fit isn't right, that is why you call someone up, but right now the fit is right so we are going to go with the 12 we have" :help:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Konency is out a while they might call up NAK, but for all we know he's just sore and will play tomorrow.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
“Left Up to interpretation” is fallacious. Like all statistical analyisis, the data is heavily tested and scrutinized (ad infinitum). The data is collected by the NHL and the data analysts “individuals” get the play by play data from the NHL. The individuals input the data via algorithms and some regression to calculate the stats for them. When you trash something, know the ins and outs of what you’re trashing. Since you’re unwilling to contact the people who run these stats sites with your questions and concerns, that tells me that you’re perfectly fine wallowing in ignorance. Which is your prerogative I guess. If it were me, I’d want to get all the facts before I critique something.

How do you know the data is heavily tested and scrutinized? What test procedures are they using to validate that the data was correctly gathered? (I don't expect or want an answer for these, its just a general thought) Given how backwards the NHL operates I'd be more inclined to assume that the data is just collected and dispersed. They certainly aren't using computer vision to validate that the collection of data is accurate and I highly doubt they have hundreds of analysts to cycle through each game over and over to validate the collection, it is fairly simple to determine that economically.

I'm not willing to contact the people because at the end of the day I'm not going to invest my time in something that I'm not making money on or thoroughly enjoy.

Last edited:

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
How do you know the data is heavily tested and scrutinized? What test procedures are they using to validate that the data was correctly gathered? (I don't expect or want an answer for these, its just a general thought) Given how backwards the NHL operates I'd be more inclined to assume that the data is just collected and dispersed. They certainly aren't using computer vision to validate that the collection of data is accurate and I highly doubt they have hundreds of analysts to cycle through each game over and over to validate the collection, it is fairly simple to determine that economically.

I'm not willing to contact the people because at the end of the day I'm not going to invest my time in something that I'm not making money on or thoroughly enjoy.

“I’m close-minded and I have my mind made up regardless of knowing all of the facts. I prefer to wallow in my ignorance thank you very much. Setting aside ten minutes in my day to contact people who I have questions for is too much effort. In fact, I should be paid for my time if I do ask questions.”

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
“I’m close-minded and I have my mind made up regardless of knowing all of the facts. I prefer to wallow in my ignorance thank you very much. Setting aside ten minutes in my day to contact people who I have questions for is too much effort. In fact, I should be paid for my time if I do ask questions.”

Just because I'm pragmatic and a skeptic doesn't mean I am close-minded. I'm not getting paid as a consultant for the NHL or etc. (nor should I be) to ask these questions. I presented why I don't think analytics should be the way people shove their opinions down other's throats. I've seen this countless times as why someone is wrong about a player. I mentioned that they do have merit but please continue to act like I didn't comment on that.

I'm also going to guess that it'll take far longer to contact those people and write questions with responses back and forth to inquire about information and investigate/dissect their modeling. My time is valuable to me but feel free to burn yours.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Transcript of Hextall's comments on Andrew MacDonald:

"(sigh) Everybody has their ups and down during the year. I don't think he's been that bad, there's been a couple of things but you can say that about every player. For some reason with Mac it seems to always to get highlighted.

Umm, but everybody's got something going on right now. There's very few guys who get thru training camp that something didn't go on, or something in the summer, or something that they're dealing with from last season, so....

Mac will be fine."

Are you ready for the next GM yet or is it still just me and @bennyflyers16?

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

Asnito

Blood Rival to a Briere Simp
Mar 2, 2017

"(sigh) Everybody has their ups and down during the year. I don't think he's been that bad, there's been a couple of things but you can say that about every player. For some reason with Mac it seems to always to get highlighted.

Umm, but everybody's got something going on right now. There's very few guys who get thru training camp that something didn't go on, or something in the summer, or something that they're dealing with from last season, so....

Mac will be fine."
To me that sounds like a boss running cover for his employee as he should. He's at least admitting that there were some problems, baby steps.

Reactions: renberg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Well he is a company shill. No surprise

He thought Grossmann was good (or at least, was better than the fans thought he was) back before he worked for the Flyers, so I don't know why you'd just assume he is a "shill" for his opinion of MacDonald.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know what people expect Hextall to say about MacDonald. I am pretty sure he tries to keep any complaints within the team and not to the media.

He could say something like,

"We think he can play better and we expect him to play better going forward."

Show that you are dissapointed and will hold the player accountable.

Reactions: Lindberg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Even when he did that, he wasn't very critical of MacDonald in the media.

Hextall speaks on decision to waive AMac

we're caught in a tough place here and we had to make a tough decision, putting our best team on the ice and creating a roster spot and some cap space. So, it was a tough decision. Obviously, we know Mac's a good NHL player, and ... is it what we wanted to do? No. This is ... if we could've avoided it, we would've.

I would suspect that Mac will be back here, assuming -- if he clears waivers -- I'm convinced at some point he'll be back here and be a productive player for us.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Mac will be fine."

Interpretation:

"He looks like crap, but he's working his way in shape, hopefully this is just rust and not Father Time collecting his due. We'll know in a couple weeks.
I really wanted Myers to win the job in camp, but he looked like he was a bit slow processing, and he'd be better off with hands on coaching by Sullivan and playing 20+ minutes in LHV right now, it's not like he blew anyone away in his first game back there.
Folin is what we thought he was, a 7th D-man getting paid like a 7th D-man.
So if AMac is really cooked, I got a tough decision to make, rush a kid who isn't ready or go on the rent a D-man market."

We'll know what Hextall really thinks when he trades for the veteran D-man or calls up Friedman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino