2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoochy

Oct 12, 2018
I'm struggling to think of a worse contract... $10.5m?!

The guy was the most overrated player in the league when the Blackhawks were good and now that they suck, he's being exposed. His entire rep was based on playing on a stacked team, while never even being their best player.

He fooled the fools and the idiots in the media.
Wow. You’re right. Toews sucks. Lol

SchatzY

Jul 30, 2016
Lehigh Valley

The guy was the most overrated player in the league when the Blackhawks were good and now that they suck, he's being exposed. His entire rep was based on playing on a stacked team, while never even being their best player.

The funny thing is he would be the perfect 3rd line center for this team as a stop-gap of course. He is legitimately overpaid by 5.5 - 6.5 mil a year. Speaking of hawks and bad contracts Brandon Manning 2.25 :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Striiker

smoochy

Oct 12, 2018
The funny thing is he would be the perfect 3rd line center for this team as a stop-gap of course. He is legitimately overpaid by 5.5 - 6.5 mil a year. Speaking of hawks and bad contracts Brandon Manning 2.25 :laugh::laugh:
Doubling up on stupid. Well done.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Hextall’s only ever had great things to say about Voracek and gave him a max length extension a year in advance at a cap hit just below Giroux’s.

I’m also pretty sure JVR wasn’t signed because of his two way play and intangibles.

Error 404: Humor not found.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

You know Striker when you spew stuff like this it prove's to me you have never played the game before and do not understand the actual game in it's self . You sit here and spew the points points points but have no clue of what it takes to win . It blows my mind you love the fly boys buzzing on the outside collecting the points but fail to realize that someone has to do the heavy lifting . As Hatcher says { he is just a little extreme with it ] you need meat and potatoes to win in playoffs . Meat and potatoes boys with skill AKA Crosby , Toews ,Bergeron , Yzerman are the most important players on your team .
I will also say this ; there ain't a Philly fan on here who would not give 5 years of Cap hell for 3 Stanley cups and neither would you , you just might just bitch about it a little more than others .

Reactions: polar bear 27

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You know Striker when you spew stuff like this it prove's to me you have never played the game before and do not understand the actual game in it's self . You sit here and spew the points points points but have no clue of what it takes to win . It blows my mind you love the fly boys buzzing on the outside collecting the points but fail to realize that someone has to do the heavy lifting . As Hatcher says { he is just a little extreme with it ] you need meat and potatoes to win in playoffs . Meat and potatoes boys with skill AKA Crosby , Toews ,Bergeron , Yzerman are the most important players on your team .

THE INTANGIBLES, GUYS! THINK OF THE INTANGIBLES! :laugh:

For $10.5m, I expect a little tangibility in my player, but maybe that's just me.

It's not as if I'm criticizing a strong two way player on a fair contract and saying everything other than offense is useless... I'm criticizing one of the highest paid players in the entire league and someone who was said to be the best player in the world. He's severely overpaid for what he's done for the last 3 years... sorry, but that's the truth.

You're right though, I've never played the game at a high level, but we should know by now that that doesn't automatically make someone knowledgeable. Look at how stupid so many ex-players are and how good some coaches/writers/analysts are that have never been a pro. Luckily, I seem to have picked up enough as a spectator to be able to see simple things like this, that apparently someone like yourself (what were your alleged credentials? coached your sons team or something? I don't remember...) doesn't seem to get. If you can't see how bad that contract is... well... yikes...

I will also say this ; there ain't a Philly fan on here who would not give 5 years of Cap hell for 3 Stanley cups and neither would you , you just might just ***** about it a little more than others .

And I have no clue what this is about since this has zero relation to anything I said in that post. :laugh:

Just feel ranting?

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
THE INTANGIBLES, GUYS! THINK OF THE INTANGIBLES! :laugh:

For $10.5m, I expect a little tangibility in my player, but maybe that's just me.

It's not as if I'm criticizing a strong two way player on a fair contract and saying everything other than offense is useless... I'm criticizing one of the highest paid players in the entire league and someone who was said to be the best player in the world. He's severely overpaid for what he's done for the last 3 years... sorry, but that's the truth.

You're right though, I've never played the game at a high level, but we should know by now that that doesn't automatically make someone knowledgeable. Look at how stupid so many ex-players are and how good some coaches/writers/analysts are that have never been a pro. Luckily, I seem to have picked up enough as a spectator to be able to see simple things like this, that apparently someone like yourself (what were your alleged credentials? coached your sons team or something? I don't remember...) doesn't seem to get. If you can't see how bad that contract is... well... yikes...

And I have no clue what this is about since this has zero relation to anything I said in that post. :laugh:

Just feel ranting?
I'm not talking intangables , who got the hard matchups to shut down the other teams top line , who was the best at preventing goals ,who was the best faceoff man and the list goes on . You love Kane so much { you know your points guy } if he had to block a shot or go into the corner first he would piss his pants . Olympics , World Junior, Stanley Cups , a major contributor or MVP of all , but OOHH so overrated

Credentials ya i have a few .
The ranting thing . it has to do with you nitpicking a couple of years and ignoring his value for the entire length of the contract .
Spectator does not include sitting on your couch watching it on TV. Total hockey watch in a one year span live for me is probably 130-140 games and that,s probably on the low side .

Reactions: polar bear 27

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
1. Scott Laughton should be the first fill-in for a top 9 center spot.

2. Scott Laughton should get a chance as a top 9 wing in a healthy roster.

3. Scott Laughton is probably the next William Karlsson.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think you're seriously overrating Laughton.
As a LW, he had a chance with the right center to score 20-20 some year.
As a center, he's had two shots and done nothing to think he's more than a 4C.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'm not talking intangables , who got the hard matchups to shut down the other teams top line , who was the best at preventing goals ,who was the best faceoff man and the list goes on . You love Kane so much { you know your points guy } if he had to block a shot or go into the corner first he would piss his pants . Olympics , World Junior, Stanley Cups , a major contributor or MVP of all , but OOHH so overrated

The ranting thing . it has to do with you nitpicking a couple of years and ignoring his value for the entire length of the contract .
Spectator does not include sitting on your couch watching it on TV. Total hockey watch in a one year span live for me is probably 130-140 games and that,s probably on the low side .
Ever notice whenever people defend Toews they mostly list team accomplishments? :popcorn:Interesting.

Even Blackhawks fans will tell you Kane/Keith/Hossa/Sharp were more valuable than him for large chunks of those three cups. Many don't think he was the MVP and I'd agree.

(I'll also point out again, for reference, that I never said that scoring was the only thing that mattered, but when there's such a massive gap in scoring, the common intangibles argument or defensive play arguments don't bridge that gap)

As for:

That contract started in 2015-2016, which was the first year of the three I mentioned. So, I'm actually "nitpicking" the entire length of that contract! :laugh: He's been severely overpaid literally the entire time. 58 points, 58 points, 52 points... not enough for a 1C making that much.

Guess I'm doing OK for a spectator, eh?

If you don't believe me:
Jonathan Toews - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
Jonathan Toews Stats and News

You may not like me or my posts, but I'm certainly correct here. Sorry bud.

polar bear 27

Feb 8, 2006

What can you say to someone who is trying to discrédit Toews as a leader and champion You nailed it. Guys a winner. Simple as that.

Reactions: renberg and hatcher

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If it takes Giroux and Couturier scoring under 100 points combined in 160 games to see the end of Hak then sign me up. There is simply no future for this team that involves winning playoff rounds with him as coach.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If it takes Giroux and Couturier scoring under 100 points combined in 160 games to see the end of Hak then sign me up. There is simply no future for this team that involves winning playoff rounds with him as coach.

giphy-1.gif

Reactions: Amorgus and Stizzle

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Toews is a pretty good hockey player. His current deal hasn’t been the greatest of value these past few years though. When you’re getting paid over $10M a year 55-60 points just isn’t enough no matter how good you are defensively.

Toews definitely contributed a big part to Chicago’s success during their run but sports fans/media go way overboard with valuing or undervaluing players because of team success. Chicago shouldn’t be as bad as they have been recently if Toews has these magical powers people like to speak of. If he was Slovakian & playing for Arizona all these years he’d be considered a pretty good player who plays on bad teams & no real mention of his leadership/intangibles.

Stevie Yzerman was considered a choker/bad leader at one point in his career all because his team weren’t winning championships. Detroit made some moves over time to keep a contender status & eventually broke through with more cracks at it. Now Yzerman is considered one of the best captains/leaders all time.

You need a pretty good team to win championships these days but those teams still need a lot of luck too.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The Yzerman who scored 150 points early in his career bears little resemblance to the one who won Stanley Cups. I'm not much of an intangibles guy, but he did basically revamp his game, become more of a two-way player and was more unselfish.

It's kinda like the difference between Pat LaFontaine (early) and a slightly less gritty Doug Gilmour.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The Yzerman who scored 150 points early in his career bears little resemblance to the one who won Stanley Cups. I'm not much of an intangibles guy, but he did basically revamp his game, become more of a two-way player and was more unselfish.

It's kinda like the difference between Pat LaFontaine (early) and a slightly less gritty Doug Gilmour.

He got older & the scoring climate changed over that time. He was 31 the year they won the Cup & he was still a top 15 scorer that year.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I will also say this ; there ain't a Philly fan on here who would not give 5 years of Cap hell for 3 Stanley cups and neither would you , you just might just ***** about it a little more than others .
Exactly. Flyers have nothing that has winning written on it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Stevie Yzerman was considered a choker/bad leader at one point in his career all because his team weren’t winning championships. Detroit made some moves over time to keep a contender status & eventually broke through with more cracks at it. Now Yzerman is considered one of the best captains/leaders all time.

That was always such a load of complete ****, though, and drove me absolutely crazy from Day 1. He's my favorite non-Flyer ever, and I'm an admitted Stevepologist when it comes to anything about him, but I just never bought into any of that garbage.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
That was always such a load of complete ****, though, and drove me absolutely crazy from Day 1. He's my favorite non-Flyer ever, and I'm an admitted Stevepologist when it comes to anything about him, but I just never bought into any of that garbage.
Bowman had him traded and would have kept primeau if he didn't start being a two way player. All players gotta play two way when it comes playoffs time.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->