2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Do you think Sanheim has been better than Hagg?
6b2819990bdfe9df44830254f4299670.png

Yes, but Hagg was +5 last year and Sanheim was -6 so I don't think this is sustainable for Sanheim.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Well, Hagg is obviously the better offensive defenseman, and we know he's the more physical defenseman. :sarcasm:

I think they're both playing better than last year, and Gudas is doing his analytics magic.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
6b2819990bdfe9df44830254f4299670.png

Yes, but Hagg was +5 last year and Sanheim was -6 so I don't think this is sustainable for Sanheim.

I've been working on a new advanced statistic which measures "softness":

Hits +/- = Hits Given - Hits Taken

Hagg: +9 Hits (team best)
Sanheim: -5 Hits (team worst)

Sanheim does have one less giveaway than Hagg though. Something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Striiker

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I've been working on a new advanced statistic which measures "softness":

Hits +/- = Hits Given - Hits Taken

Hagg: +9 Hits (team best)
Sanheim: -5 Hits (team worst)

Sanheim does have one less giveaway than Hagg though. Something to keep an eye on.
You might be on to something.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This feels like a good time to remember that Jeff, in his infinite wisdom, scratched Gudas for Folin.

5 games into the season, Gudas is rocking 4 points in 4 games (fluky but hey), along with +20% relative numbers compared to the team in every major stat. He has an xGF% of 54% on a team where the next best is 45% (Trav), 42%, and 40%. Gudas has a GF% of 58% with a PDO of 97.

The foolish would say that scratching Gudas was a moronic decision born out of awful talent evaluation. The enlightened realize it was only the healthy scratch that led to this. Praise be!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or he and Hextall both wanted to see what they had in Folin, and thought that replacing Gudas (another RHD) might be least disruptive.
Given that Folin also had good stats that game, 50.0% CF, xGFrel +11.49, maybe they weren't crazy :sarcasm:
Actually Folin was OK after a horrible first period.

This is part of the early season in any sport, it takes a month or so but eventually you see who is for real, who aged over the summer, and which kids are ready to step up.
AMac had been bad, but did he come back too soon or has he fallen off the cliff?
With Folin as the only viable alternative at the moment, when does Hextall make a move?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Knight added to the roster.

So I guess Weise goes to Allentown when JVR is back. Or maybe when Neuvirth is back if they want to carry 3 goalies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We could have signed Lehner this past offseason. He is looking good under a real coach.

2-1 .935 SV% 2.09 GAA signed for 1.5 million.

Oh wait....we could have signed that real coach too!

That coach has gotten 4 goals + 2 assists in 6 games out of Filppula. I wonder what he could get out of our guys?

Oh well, who cares. Time to sit for a few years and see if Hart is a saviour or not.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
We could have signed Lehner this past offseason. He is looking good under a real coach.

2-1 .935 SV% 2.09 GAA signed for 1.5 million.

Oh wait....we could have signed that real coach too!

That coach has gotten 4 goals + 2 assists in 6 games out of Filppula. I wonder what he could get out of our guys?

Oh well, who cares. Time to sit for a few years and see if Hart is a saviour or not.

After that article came out, I 100 percent understand why teams would not take a chance on Lehner. I can't blame Hexy for that. But you're right. He should have made a big push to go after trotz. When hak is inevitably fired, there will not be a coach close to Trotz's caliber on the market.

Reactions: Tripod

Audible Velvet

Jul 9, 2015
Philthadelphia
What is really concerning is not even the results...

but that 7 games into the season and so far there have only been ~2 where they outplayed the opponent at 5v5.
Even before the power play in the first period, I was thinking "they look terrible when Columbus gets in their zone". What a mess behind own blue line, yikes.
The better players will get points, but never going to be enough for success until things are cleaned up.

Reactions: hatcher

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
MacDonald clearly wasn't ready and lied to his coach and GM.
They won't say anything publicly, but my suspicion is Hextall is fuming b/c roster moves were partially predicated on the expectation that he was working his way into shape and would be fine to start the season (not that he would have kept Myers up, but he might have looked for another veteran stopgap).

The biggest problem has been the best players, especially the forwards, too many sloppy turnovers and failure to back check.
And Simmonds is worse 5x5 than last season, when JVR returns Hextall has to shop him while any value remains.
He just lacks any open ice skills at this point in his career, can't pass, can't shoot, can't skate with the puck.
Provorov - Ghost have been off, especially Provorov, who is starting to look tentative.

The bright spots are Sanheim, TK and Lindblom. Patrick comes back, hopefully Laughton back to LW, Vorobyev bounces back.
But the stars who supposedly carry this team (like any good team, imagine NJ without Hall and Nico!) better starting hauling.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
MacDonald clearly wasn't ready and lied to his coach and GM.
They won't say anything publicly, but my suspicion is Hextall is fuming b/c roster moves were partially predicated on the expectation that he was working his way into shape and would be fine to start the season (not that he would have kept Myers up, but he might have looked for another veteran stopgap).

The biggest problem has been the best players, especially the forwards, too many sloppy turnovers and failure to back check.
And Simmonds is worse 5x5 than last season, when JVR returns Hextall has to shop him while any value remains.
He just lacks any open ice skills at this point in his career, can't pass, can't shoot, can't skate with the puck.
Provorov - Ghost have been off, especially Provorov, who is starting to look tentative.

The bright spots are Sanheim, TK and Lindblom. Patrick comes back, hopefully Laughton back to LW, Vorobyev bounces back.
But the stars who supposedly carry this team (like any good team, imagine NJ without Hall and Nico!) better starting hauling.

It's hilarious that you try to blame MacDonald, when the fault here very obviously lies with Hakstol for somehow not seeing that MacDonald is atrocious, and then playing him heavily to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad