2018-19 Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
He shouldn't be getting 11 and 13 minutes.

His ice time has improved quite a bit since then.

Travis Konecny

I don't care to go back and analyze ever game but a good coach should give a hot player extra ice time during a game if he's out there buzzing. Konecny seems to be at a good amount of ice time.

Last edited:
Reactions: hatcher

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I really don't see how this is much of a problem. Konecny is a guy who can produce on his own and the #1 RW seems like the best place for Simmonds at the moment if they are going to extract value from him. Voracek playing over Konecny isn't a concern of mine either.

If Dale Weise was playing over Konecny I'd say this argument has merit, but it doesn't.

Sounds like you'll eat any shit sandwich Hakstol serves you.

Reactions: Tripod

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His ice time has improved quite a bit since then.

Travis Konecny

I don't care to go back and analyze ever game but a good coach should give a hot player extra ice time during a game if he's out there buzzing. Konecny seems to be a good amount of ice time.

It's 13 minutes! That's unacceptable. Dude should be on the top line, not Simmonds.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
IlliterateAcidicGoral-size_restricted.gif

This play is a good example of Simmonds' limitation 5v5- he has no vision. He has Sanheim streaking for a tap-in. Couturier in the slot. Hischier on his hip who wants no parts of dealing with him. Instead he just buries his head, skates into traffic, and losses possession during a great cycle with NJ having to deal with a long change.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

This play is a good example of Simmonds' limitation 5v5- he has no vision. He has Sanheim streaking for a tap-in. Couturier in the slot. Hischier on Hischier on his hip who wants no parts of dealing with him. Instead he just buries his head, skates into traffic, and losses possession during a great cycle with NJ having to deal with a long change.

That isn't my point. You can go years back into my posts and I've wanted to trade him for a long time. I'm just merely mentioning that Konecny's ice time is reasonable and him not playing on the top line might be due to other circumstances.

Edit: I get that people have had enough of Hakstol but I can at least cut Hakstok some slack here since some of his reasoning might make a bit of sense.

Last edited:

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
That isn't my point. You can go years back into my posts and I've wanted to trade him for a long time. I'm just merely mentioning that Konecny's ice time is reasonable and him not playing on the top line might be due to other circumstances.

Edit: I get that people have had enough of Hakstol but this issue isn't a particularly good one to pick a bone with.

It is for me and for others. Simmonds is not a good 5v5 player. Playing him with your two best 5v5 forwards (and in Hak's mind his two best defensemen) is not good strategy no matter how you try and dress it up. It's like people who say Hagg is a 3rd pair defenseman but defend the coach's usage of him. All of this adds up.

Konecny is not without faults, but he had proven to be a capable first line player, over an extended period of time, with Coots and G. And you should expect Konecny to continue to improve given his age and experience. Simmonds at this point in his career drags down most of his teammates with his play 5v5.

Simmonds just isn't a guy you should want to expose to top lines at this point in his career.

Reactions: Asnito

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
It's like people who say Hagg is a 3rd pair defenseman but defend the coach's usage of him. All of this adds up.

Let's not totally go off-topic now!

Anyways perhaps you're right. That Hakstol believes Simmonds is the #1 RWer and he should be thrown off the wells fargo center. Konecny's minutes in some games isn't crazy and that Hakstol might want to have 3 lines rather than 2. Getting more production from the top to the bottom was a huge concern last year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Where DO you play Simmonds?
He had a good game on the first line, he's terrible on any other line.
It's not like we have top 9 RWs ready to step in.

This team is an awkward fit right now, a lot of young talent 1-2 years away, and a lot of NHL talent that just doesn't mesh well.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Eklund is floating a rumor of Sanheim for Kapanen. Hopefully that is one of his usual BS thoughts. Probably the Leaf in question is Nylander not Kapanen.
I'd be dead against moving any player under the age of 25 in any deal right now. Any of the "core" vets could be had in a deal for the right return but none of the young guys that matter-Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, Moran, TK, Patrick, etc.
As for Simmonds, most likely he'll be moved closer to the TDL when a contender feels the need for a presence in front of the net. Right now, anyone can see that he's poor on his skates and wouldn't give up much to get him.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Perhaps Hakstol wants to spread the talent around the roster? Konecny is obviously the better 5v5 player but perhaps he wants 3 lines that go instead of 2.

I would boldly suggest that rather than spreading the talent, he might want to win games. Better to have 2 lines that ACTUALLY score, than 3 lines that don't.

Reactions: Tripod

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

This play is a good example of Simmonds' limitation 5v5- he has no vision. He has Sanheim streaking for a tap-in. Couturier in the slot. Hischier on his hip who wants no parts of dealing with him. Instead he just buries his head, skates into traffic, and losses possession during a great cycle with NJ having to deal with a long change.

i think the reason why he didn't see sanheim is because he had is back to him. They all can't be giroux. That is not an example of a limitation , that i just an example of him not being amongst the 10 best playmakers in the nhl.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I would boldly suggest that rather than spreading the talent, he might want to win games. Better to have 2 lines that ACTUALLY score, than 3 lines that don't.

I'm just trying to play counter-point / devil's advocate for this particular point. I think the Flyers would have been better moving on from Simmonds and trying to acquire another Raffl like player or just pick up a 4th liner and move Raffl to 3rd line right wing.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
i think the reason why he didn't see sanheim is because he had is back to him. They all can't be giroux. That is not an example of a limitation , that i just an example of him not being amongst the 10 best playmakers in the nhl.

Simmonds routinely fumbles the puck and makes poor decisions with it. When he made that extremely poor pass to Ghost with the open net last night for example. You're over valuing his actual contribution because he's a prototypical hockey player.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Eklund is floating a rumor of Sanheim for Kapanen. Hopefully that is one of his usual BS thoughts. Probably the Leaf in question is Nylander not Kapanen.
I'd be dead against moving any player under the age of 25 in any deal right now. Any of the "core" vets could be had in a deal for the right return but none of the young guys that matter-Provorov, Sanheim, Myers, Moran, TK, Patrick, etc.
As for Simmonds, most likely he'll be moved closer to the TDL when a contender feels the need for a presence in front of the net. Right now, anyone can see that he's poor on his skates and wouldn't give up much to get him.

i am more credible than Eklund. and i have no credibility.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Perhaps Hakstol wants to spread the talent around the roster? Konecny is obviously the better 5v5 player but perhaps he wants 3 lines that go instead of 2.
Most teams so that. This teams players aren't that good anymore but it's the coaches fault.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Simmonds routinely fumbles the puck and makes poor decisions with it. When he made that extremely poor pass to Ghost with the open net last night for example. You're over valuing his actual contribution because he's a prototypical hockey player.

no i fully understand his limitations. Simmonds value comes from his play 5 feet infront of the net. To judge him on anything else is like judging giroux on his goalie play.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
no i fully understand his limitations. Simmonds value comes from his play 5 feet infront of the net. To judge him on anything else is like judging giroux on his goalie play.

That is quite a odd jump to be making. Actually a players value is a combination of his offensive, defensive, and neutral zone skills. Factor in the ability to slide around a lineup (either left/right/up/down) as well. You don't accumulate more points in the game because the goal is a deflection vice a shot.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Eklund has no sources and makes everything up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad