Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
I know it depends how TC goes but why couldn't Makar be on the top pair to start the season? I mean EJ and Girard have to be one of the lowest scoring tandems in the league, at least among playoff teams.

Steely Van

Oct 12, 2018
Can't make any final conclusions after just this one game about who is better (Q. Hughes or Makar). He didn't get any points but he could have been playing injured. However I was very impressed with one of his rushes, which was not as smooth as Q. Hughes but reminded me of him. Some parts of his game are probably better than Quinn's and there is less risk with Makar that his game will transfer to the NHL than Q. Hughes. Hughes is more entertaining and may produce more points in the NHL but if my team was in the playoffs I'd want Makar over Q. Hughes.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
That was a treat being able to watch Makar live on the big screen. His decision to go back for a second year was 100% the right call and we are going to reap the rewards for it. I never thought Makar would play the PK with us but now it would look criminal if he doesn't. He also has a nice consistent physical element to his game game. Not only can he layout a crushing hit, like we saw last week, but he can uniquely absorb a hit from the opposition and somehow create separation. People who thought he was just going to be a faster version of Barrie are going to have to flush those thoughts right down the toilet. Duncan Keith is a perfect comparison. Makar is most definitely going to be a top end 2-way D for us.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I think Makar is surpassing my hype for Rantanen when he was dominating the AHL. This kid is going to be so much fun to watch in an Avs sweater.

I don’t really understand the exact expansion rules (how many games he has to play) but I hope he gets at least one game this season so we can see Barrie, Girard, and Makar all together.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I think Makar is surpassing my hype for Rantanen when he was dominating the AHL. This kid is going to be so much fun to watch in an Avs sweater.

I don’t really understand the exact expansion rules (how many games he has to play) but I hope he gets at least one game this season so we can see Barrie, Girard, and Makar all together.
My understanding is that he can only sign an ATO with the Eagles this season in order to remain exempt from the draft. If that is the case I really hope the Avs wait to offer him his ELC until after the season.

Reactions: Foppberg

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
My understanding is that he can only sign an ATO with the Eagles this season in order to remain exempt from the draft. If that is the case I really hope the Avs wait to offer him his ELC until after the season.

There seems not to be complete clarity on that, but the safest options is to sign him to an ELC for next season & have him play for the Eagles on an ATO if his college season ends first. That way even if the standard is his ELC beginning & not his first pro-season (40 games), he would still be exempt.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
There seems not to be complete clarity on that, but the safest options is to sign him to an ELC for next season & have him play for the Eagles on an ATO if his college season ends first. That way even if the standard is his ELC beginning & not his first pro-season (40 games), he would still be exempt.

Yeah I’ve heard three different reports on how many games he’d have to play. The safest would be to just hold off until September. We’ll see what they end up doing.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I have no doubt the Avs FO knows exactly how many games Makar would have to play to be expansion eligible. I also don't think they will be able to resist signing him for the playoffs anyway.

Reactions: cgf and Ararana

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yeah I’ve heard three different reports on how many games he’d have to play. The safest would be to just hold off until September. We’ll see what they end up doing.

The 9-games limit wouldn’t apply to Makar even if that was the standard, because his ELC can’t slide anymore. But in the end, this:
I have no doubt the Avs FO knows exactly how many games Makar would have to play to be expansion eligible. I also don't think they will be able to resist signing him for the playoffs anyway.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

That's pretty much my stance on it too :laugh: I don't think they'll care about expansion, they'll just want to get their shiny toy into the lineup and sold to the fans asap.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That's pretty much my stance on it too :laugh: I don't think they'll care about expansion, they'll just want to get their shiny toy into the lineup and sold to the fans asap.
My position is (and perhaps they share it) that they're going to lose a pretty good player to expansion anyway this time around even if they don't have to protect Makar. Might as well play him and let the chips fall as they may.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
My position is (and perhaps they share it) that they're going to lose a pretty good player to expansion anyway this time around even if they don't have to protect Makar. Might as well play him and let the chips fall as they may.

I really think front offices are a little more on this side of the fence than some of us fans. The expansion draft is 1+ years away and over half the damn team will need new contracts before then. If the situation plays out where it makes sense to sign Makar and bring him up I don't think they'll hesitate. Seattle's gonna get a decent player from us, no way around it.

At least Josh and Joe are gonna get that sweet expansion money.

Last edited:
Reactions: McMetal

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They've resisted panic trades of Duchene and to get out of the slump.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
They resisted wasting one year of Rantanen so...
Having to protect Makar and expose another just because of a few games would be very bad asset management. Having to give a spot to Makar may mean exposing a very good player vs a good player. Yes we'll have to expose somebody good anyway but why risk somebody even better if we don't have to. Long term is more important than short term.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
The 9-games limit wouldn’t apply to Makar even if that was the standard, because his ELC can’t slide anymore. But in the end, this:
Does expansion take into account ELC status or just pro experience? If keeping him out of the NHL/A means getting to protect another good player than its doesnt make sense to play Makar this year.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
That was a treat being able to watch Makar live on the big screen. His decision to go back for a second year was 100% the right call and we are going to reap the rewards for it. I never thought Makar would play the PK with us but now it would look criminal if he doesn't. He also has a nice consistent physical element to his game game. Not only can he layout a crushing hit, like we saw last week, but he can uniquely absorb a hit from the opposition and somehow create separation. People who thought he was just going to be a faster version of Barrie are going to have to flush those thoughts right down the toilet. Duncan Keith is a perfect comparison. Makar is most definitely going to be a top end 2-way D for us.

Nice to see people are coming around on that. I was sitting there watching him in the WJSS at USA Hockey arena, and looked up to see a Duncan Kieth picture on the far wall. It just made so much more sense than EK.

Mac2Rants

Sep 25, 2017
NS
i would not play a guy of this caliber for ultimately a few meaningless NHL games just to make him open to the exspansion draft IMO. i sure hope sakic sees it this way he should as he kept dutchy around till he took a deal he liked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad