Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wish all of the old school guys would go back to their original names. I'm old and get confused when you guys change your name. I actually missed your name change from 2118, and PM'd a mod to see if she knew what happened to you, were you posting in another forum, etc. Turns out, you were posting under the new name all along, and I missed the name change. :laugh:

I paid better attention when Poke and TPS changed their names.

Oh, the reminiscing....

-AB

Haha, that's hilarious. Yeah I get confused sometimes too. Especially if peeps change their avatar at the same time. Then there's almost no way to tell.

Just did my part on the name change. :thumbu:

I’ve been off and on of HFB for about 20 years.

I still remember cursing Matvichuk in Stars forums in the late 90s here. I was like 12 or 13 then. Then I posted infrequently for a few years while junior hockey took precedent. Came back a lot around 19/20, got banned a bunch for Canucks fan wars(arch nemesis was that Cloutier poster), made fake accounts like LiaR, FreeTheGoodMan, etc until they let me keep TwoPadStack.

Finally got my RiaL one back after like a 10 year ban on that account, lol.

Now I’m just a washed up, married 33 year old with kids and lots of scotch.

The LiaR account was so obviously you too. :laugh:

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks for the detailed analysis. Much appreciated!

Iirc, he had quite some issues with his skating ability. Has that part of his game improved much during his time at ND?
It has improved, but I wouldn't say it's amazing either. Looks much more smoother, however he's probably still around the Jamie McGinn area.

Reactions: VikingAv

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I might be alone but I think Makar creates separation more quickly/decisively on breakaways than Nate does. But Makar is skating against NCAA players.

Pretty sure that’s why it feels that way, though Cale may well be even more explosive than MacK.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Haha, that's hilarious. Yeah I get confused sometimes too. Especially if peeps change their avatar at the same time. Then there's almost no way to tell.

Just did my part on the name change. :thumbu:

Nice. Old school.

I went back to signing my posts, just for old time's sake. ;)

-AB

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Kovalenko is the real deal. He will probably be our best value pick in years.

Observations

January 2019 – Kovalenko finished the WJC tournament with 3 points in 6 games, and was a standout in many games. His speed and relentlessness on the forecheck and cycle created chances on a regular basis, and he moved up the lineup as the tournament progressed ad he impressed on the ice. Hayden Soboleski

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

Observations

January 2019 – Kovalenko finished the WJC tournament with 3 points in 6 games, and was a standout in many games. His speed and relentlessness on the forecheck and cycle created chances on a regular basis, and he moved up the lineup as the tournament progressed ad he impressed on the ice. Hayden Soboleski
He's definitely our best wildcard imo. He seems to play with the right intensity to make an impact at his size and the skill and strength aswell.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I want them to keep Kovalenko in Russia until he's ready to step into the lineup. This way Billington and his brain trust can't ruin another skilled forward's development.

Reactions: klozge and cgf

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Observations

Actually think have a few guys that were later round picks that have some NHL upside. Kovalenko is probably the top of the list. Very promising. But I feel like guys like Saigeon and Henry get overlooked. Don't think they ever be top end guys, but I see a couple of guys that could bring a decent game to the bottom 6.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I want them to keep Kovalenko in Russia until he's ready to step into the lineup. This way Billington and his brain trust can't ruin another skilled forward's development.

Not that they have a choice... he has a deal that will keep him in Russia for a bit.

Saigeon and Henry are lower tier prospects with lower ceilings. I know that sounds harsh, but they should be dominating juniors at their ages. You don't have to look very far to see that same song and dance throughout our history of prospects.

Reactions: S E P H

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not that they have a choice... he has a deal that will keep him in Russia for a bit.

Saigeon and Henry are lower tier prospects with lower ceilings. I know that sounds harsh, but they should be dominating juniors at their ages. You don't have to look very far to see that same song and dance throughout our history of prospects.

Speaking of kids wrecking junior at older ages, what are your thoughts on Lewis? Pure AHL allstar prospect, or does his chippiness & skill level give him an NHL ceiling?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Speaking of kids wrecking junior at older ages, what are your thoughts on Lewis? Pure AHL allstar prospect, or does his chippiness & skill level give him an NHL ceiling?

Top 6 AHL guy... I don't see enough standout talent to be a NHL player. I think he'll end up an Agozzino caliber of player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Top 6 AHL guy... I don't see enough standout talent to be a NHL player. I think he'll end up an Agozzino caliber of player.

You don't think he brings more grit & forechecking than Agz? I'm with you on his skill likely not being enough for a top 6 gig in the NHL, but I'm not so sure that he couldn't become a Nieto or Jimmothy -esque bottom 6er.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
You don't think he brings more grit & forechecking than Agz? I'm with you on his skill likely not being enough for a top 6 gig in the NHL, but I'm not so sure that he couldn't become a Nieto or Jimmothy -esque bottom 6er.

Not really... I don't see that level in him personally. Especially Compher who is either a damn good 3rd liner or a low end 2nd liner right now. Certainly don't see that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Not really... I don't see that level in him personally. Especially Compher who is either a damn good 3rd liner or a low end 2nd liner right now. Certainly don't see that.

Not as good as compher, but I was referring more to Jimmothy stylistic given his blend of speed & skill, with chippiness & tenacity on the forecheck. Again not at the same level as JTC, but as a 3rd/4th line version.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not as good as compher, but I was referring more to Jimmothy stylistic given his blend of speed & skill, with chippiness & tenacity on the forecheck. Again not at the same level as JTC, but as a 3rd/4th line version.

I just really don't see it... he might get some games or most of a season eventually, but I don't see a guy who will ever be a NHL mainstay. Should be a solid AHL player though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just really don't see it... he might get some games or most of a season eventually, but I don't see a guy who will ever be a NHL mainstay. Should be a solid AHL player though.

I don't disagree, but I feel like he's got more to his game than just offense, which is why I am curious about him...especially since he seems like a kid who has actually managed to make progress for us at that level, which we all know is rare. Now that may just mean his ceiling is more hot-Ghetto than Kerf, but I do feel like he has more dimensions to his game than the offense-only dudes like Kerf or PAP.

...even if I don't expect the sum of his tools to add up to an NHLer either...

How about Morrison, do you think he's any more likely to become an NHLer than Lewis or do you see them both as fringe-prospects to?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I've grown into the idea that to even make the NHL you have to have something that stands out. If you don't, you're not long for the world. Nieto is a solid example... when it comes to his overall skill set he is pretty average and he probably isn't the greatest guy defensively. But he has a ton of speed and is unafraid. His speed elevates his talents and has made him a fixture on the third line here. He isn't a special NHL player, but a NHL player nonetheless. I don't see anything that would stand out in the NHL... and he doesn't have the size to bruise his way in either.

I think Morrison has a NHL future... it may not be high end, but he's good in tight, smart, big body, etc. Not the best skater or most naturally talented player, but a guy who can contribute. I see a McGinn 2.0 sort in him, even if he doesn't reach the heights of McGinn.

Reactions: ABasin and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
McGinn could really move once he got going though, if Morrison had that kind of top gear I'd be a lot higher on him...rather than already expecting him to go the way of Beaudin, Henley & Toninato.

boz

Jan 20, 2004
Kovalenko registered the primary assist on an overtime winner in Lokomotiv's opening playoff game against Sochi. Showed nice speed and hard shot in creating the rebound for the goal. Hopefully it can lead to more icetime throughout the post season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad