Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Safe to assume Makar is on the Avs next year?

Thanks guys
His own college coach said a little bit ago that it was time for him to take the next step. The only question now is: if we make the playoffs, do we sign Makar for that? Or perhaps will his season last longer than ours?

Reactions: DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
His own college coach said a little bit ago that it was time for him to take the next step. The only question now is: if we make the playoffs, do we sign Makar for that? Or perhaps will his season last longer than ours?

I appreciate the responses .

Ive seen enough of him to know hes ready for the NHL but wasn't sure if he was going to move on from College.

Either way thanks again.

Reactions: McMetal

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Hopefully his season lasts longer than ours, having him exempt from the ED will be huge.

A lot can change over 3 years, but unless the team completely implodes having him exempt will save us from losing a quality player like Compher.

Reactions: avsfan09

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Hopefully his season lasts longer than ours, having him exempt from the ED will be huge.

A lot can change over 3 years, but unless the team completely implodes having him exempt will save us from losing a quality player like Compher.
We'll either be losing Compher or Jost anyway, barring something unlikely like an EJ buyout/waiving his NMC. There's not much we can do about it, my guess is if Makar is available for the playoffs, they sign him and worry about the rest later.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
We'll either be losing Compher or Jost anyway, barring something unlikely like an EJ buyout/waiving his NMC. There's not much we can do about it, my guess is if Makar is available for the playoffs, they sign him and worry about the rest later.
That would be a very dumb idea. They are better off letting the Eagles signing him to an ATO.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
If playing him this season means we lose another good player during expanison than thats an incredibly dumb decision to make imo

Reactions: Barklez and klozge

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If playing him this season means we lose another good player during expanison than thats an incredibly dumb decision to make imo
I'm saying we will lose a good player regardless, there's nothing we can do about that, so we may as well sign him. My guess is the front office feels that way.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm saying we will lose a good player regardless, there's nothing we can do about that, so we may as well sign him. My guess is the front office feels that way.

The difference could be losing a 50 point player instead of a 30 point player for all we know. That's a huge difference for a team like the Avs who can't draft and develop worth shit. It could also be the difference between being able to go 7/3 instead of 4/4.

Reactions: avsfan09 and klozge

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The difference could be losing a 50 point player instead of a 30 point player for all we know. That's a huge difference for a team like the Avs who can't draft and develop worth ****. It could also be the difference between being able to go 7/3 instead of 4/4.

It could also be the difference between protecting a 30 point player & a 31 point player :dunno:

We're not exactly flush with quality players that we'll need to protect atm.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah let's complain about bad asset management and then suggest to play Makar just a few games so we can/might lose another very useful player. And this in a year that most people say we will be lucky to win just one series.

Reactions: avsfan09 and klozge

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah but if that means losing someone like Girard instead of the next guy in line it sucks. Not all losses are equal.
You say Girard, but you don't say the alternative that we will lose instead. Like I said, we will, full stop, lose a good player to the expansion draft. It may be Girard, it may be Compher, it may be Z, or Jost, or hypothetical UFA signing Mr. X. It will hurt. We got lucky last time at the XD, it won't spare us this time, whether we have to protect Makar or not.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
You say Girard, but you don't say the alternative that we will lose instead. Like I said, we will, full stop, lose a good player to the expansion draft. It may be Girard, it may be Compher, it may be Z, or Jost, or hypothetical UFA signing Mr. X. It will hurt. We got lucky last time at the XD, it won't spare us this time, whether we have to protect Makar or not.
Exactly. Would you rather lose Girard or Compher? Can't act like it doesn't matter who we lose because we'll lose someone.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Exactly. Would you rather lose Girard or Compher? Can't act like it doesn't matter who we lose because we'll lose someone.
It's too far away to even really speculate about who exactly we will lose. We don't know if Barrie will still be here, we don't know if we land a big fish UFA, or if EJ will waive his protection slot. We don't even know if Makar will be available to sign before our season is over. All we can be sure of, looking at the roster and prospects, is that SOMEBODY will go to Seattle that we don't want to lose.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It's too far away to even really speculate about who exactly we will lose. We don't know if Barrie will still be here, we don't know if we land a big fish UFA, or if EJ will waive his protection slot. We don't even know if Makar will be available to sign before our season is over. All we can be sure of, looking at the roster and prospects, is that SOMEBODY will go to Seattle that we don't want to lose.
You can't even be sure that we will be losing somebody we don't want to lose. For example by not playing Makar and asking EJ to waive (or buy him out) we might be able to protect everybody we want to keep and expose Kerfoot...and you have to agree that most people here would be happy with that. My point is why put ourselves in the situation to have to expose somebody we DO LIKE when it is unnecessary.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
You can't even be sure that we will be losing somebody we don't want to lose. For example by not playing Makar and asking EJ to waive (or buy him out) we might be able to protect everybody we want to keep and expose Kerfoot...and you have to agree that most people here would be happy with that. My point is why put ourselves in the situation to have to expose somebody we DO LIKE when it is unnecessary.
I think nobody here will be happy if Kerfoot is still on the team in 2021. :sarcasm:

Look, I typed out a whole response running different protection scenarios, and all it did was reinforce my belief that it's too early to think about. No matter how I slice and dice this team up, somehow, a good young player is exposed unless all of our prospects fail, especially if we land the UFA top sixer that everybody wants this summer. That's with and without Makar being eligible to protect.

It's not worth worrying about this far in advance. You put together the best team you can long term, and live with losing a player you like.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Can we really be sure of even that? lol...*sigh*

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Can we really be sure of even that? lol...*sigh*
Like I said, if all our prospects fail to the point where we don't care to lose them... That's the only realistic scenario I see where that doesn't come true, and if it does we'll have entirely different things to be sad about. :(

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Like I said, if all our prospects fail to the point where we don't care to lose them... That's the only realistic scenario I see where that doesn't come true, and if it does we'll have entirely different things to be sad about. :(

MacK, Mikko, Landy, Barrie, Girard & Zads are the only must-protects on the roster atm...and that's if Joe doesn't listen to the trade-Barrie camp, nor does he dump Nikita to spite me.

After that sextet -- if they're all still here -- the current candidates would be: Jimmothy, whom I'd predict for a protection spot atm; Jost, if he takes a big step next season; Meloche/Timmins, if we have enough injuries for either of them to actually get a chance before the XD; EJ, if he's still going strong; and any top 6 help Joe brings in this summer, if he actually brings someone worth worrying about protecting, in...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad