Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread II (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Call me crazy, but Leetch is probably the most underrated elite defensemen of all time. Such an incredible player that seems to be lost amongst the groups.

As for best I've ever seen... nobody holds a candle to Lidstrom or Bourque in recent generations. It is those two then everybody else.

Leetch was a treat to watch. He seemed like the only player in the league who could routinely skate through The Trap in an era when everyone was seemingly using a variation of it.

Such a shame the Rangers were so horribly mismanaged during his prime years. Even bigger shame Jeff Beukeboom got his career cut short, as Leetch never had a more perfect defensive partner.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
GargantuanFirsthandBoutu-size_restricted.gif

RIAL is TPS?

Man, I must've been gone for longer than I thought for a while there.

Reactions: cgf

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Niedermayer is the Joel Quenneville of coaches. Both have talent and are top players/coaches in the history of the game, but get absolutely beat to death in terms of overvaluation.

I agree with Hench, Leech is super underrated and I would put Brian Rafalski and Zubov in that underrated category as well. Zubov still gives me nightmares from some of those series in the 90s/2000s.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
GargantuanFirsthandBoutu-size_restricted.gif

RIAL is TPS?

Man, I must've been gone for longer than I thought for a while there.

RIAL was TPS who was RIAL. :laugh:

I might take his lead and go back to Foppa2118. I don't like the new handle anymore. Bad vibes with that character.

Parker27

Aug 3, 2005
Montana
Leetch is no doubt the best US defenseman ever. The 93 cup run he was just on another level. I know some won't agree with me but give me Stevens over Lidstrom everyday and twice on Sunday. Stevens came into the league as a 18 year old and never looked back. Not sure he could play in today's peewee NHL though.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Scott Stevens would be just fine in today's NHL. He was known more as a puckmover in his younger days, I think we'd just see more offense from him.

I would never, ever take a defenseman over Lidstrom, discounting players from earlier eras like Harvey and Orr. One of the smartest, shiftiest players to ever take the ice. I don't think I'd even take Ray over him and everyone knows my unadulterated love for the non-Gabriel Bourque (I don't like Rene either).

Reactions: MarkT

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Scott Stevens would be just fine in today's NHL. He was known more as a puckmover in his younger days, I think we'd just see more offense from him.

I would never, ever take a defenseman over Lidstrom, discounting players from earlier eras like Harvey and Orr. One of the smartest, shiftiest players to ever take the ice. I don't think I'd even take Ray over him and everyone knows my unadulterated love for the non-Gabriel Bourque (I don't like Rene either).
Skill wise he'd be fine. But he'd probably be suspended more than he played in today's NHL.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Skill wise he'd be fine. But he'd probably be suspended more than he played in today's NHL.

Eh, he's an immensely smart guy. He would've figured it out. He would've just quieted down his game. Adam Foote had to do something similar, not because of suspensions but because his physical game was causing his arms to fall off.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I still feel at his peak Pronger was probably the most impactful defenseman atleast since the 90's.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He's had a linear regression. Don't understand what happened there
Last year he was out with a virus and those type of illness aren't really physical where you heal and then go play. Those illnesses take a lot out of you because your entire immune system and body is focused on fighting the foreign body; so that means carbs are used, your metabolism suffers, and you become weak. I would not label him a bad player because his production fell last year.

This year he's been solid for the most part, it's not like he looks bad out there. The problem is that Penn State has lost a ton of depth and talent the past two years and his numbers might reflect that. They're a team who plays like no defence and the coach somehow stumbled on a super line with their personnel (similar to us). That super line (Barrett, Limoges, and Folkes) pretty much gets to play all offencive zones and majority of the PP. Smirnov started the season on the 3rd line and has actually jumped to the second the last couple of weeks which there has been an increased production for him, however Barrett is currently injured which might be the case.

If there is a problem its that his skating hasn't really improved since when we've drafted him. He's very similar to DeBrincat for me where the talent is there, they're well built for their smaller frame, and that they're more "zonal" players than "off the rush" players. However, DeBrincat has a lethal shot to stand out, while Smirnov doesn't really have one strong suit besides his IQ to hide in the shadows and pounce on the weak side. Hard to say what happens because the talent is there, the energy is there, the IQ is there, but he isn't getting the points (except for today of course). I thought he would be more three years and out, but considering how much he lost last year with his sickness he has to return for a senior season before we think of even signing him IMHO.

Reactions: avsfan09
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille